test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LOL at Optional DP

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I loved the movies because it's like an editor finally got their hands on the books. Yay, no Tom Bombadil or pages of travel spam!

*retreats to fireproof bunker*

The movies was well done but I couldn't stand watching them either. Maybe they should make that a DP. You have to watch LOTR? No, that wouldn't work. ;)
    edited March 2010
    personae wrote:
    How can you say the reverse? I can tell you from an obscene amount of online experience, that harsher a game's DP, the faster groups disolve when things go bad. Usually with much rage and generally unfun behavior added. But there was no difference in the rate at which things went bad.

They desolve because the good players want to go looking for a group that they feel can get them through the situation. If these DPs are so terrible, how come there are 11 million people playing WoW? Why didn't everyone just ragequit when they couldn't get through that certain instance? They didn't quit because the felt like they could get through it, with the right combination of people. It wasn't because they could put it on easy mode and solo the content for the same loot.
    edited March 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    The movies was well done but I couldn't stand watching them either. Maybe they should make that a DP. You have to watch LOTR? No, that wouldn't work. ;)

Ok I am ignoring you now.

(just jokin I am a huge tolkien fan tho)
    edited March 2010
    There is still the good old standby: winning and losing. Nobody wants to be on the losing team. In a PVP game, losing the match is DP enough. I'm talking about purely PVE here. There is no losing in STO.

Of course not no one likes to loose a match but its no DP and as far as PVE most of those games have PVE versions some are coop. There is no loosing in those either you just respawn ata respawn point and get back in the fight untill the objective is complete. Try HL2 DM coop or Left 4 Dead UT3 story mode all are pve coop and dont have a DP. Im mearly stating you were wrong in saying ALL games have a DP. Also i just finished playing Dragon Age a few hrs ago and died 4 times in a particular mission I LOST NOTHING i just respawned and went back in and kept fighting till i made it through. I never got penilized for anything. Just a bloody screen saying i failed but that was all it respawned me at the last unlocked spawn point. Hell when it respawned me i got back all the pots i drank befor i died.
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:
    There are no bards in lotro. Maybe you are thinking of DDO. If you mean minstrels those are heals not dps. Even tho they do have damage I wouldnt consider them by any means dps. Thats runekeepers and hunters. Maybe captians also. The magic part is the lore. There was little magic in middle earth. The people like gandalf and sauron were almost gods being immortal and all. There was but 7 wizards total in middle earth. This era was coming from the era of magic to the era of man. Even at the end all the elves and lesser valar left middle earth.

Is there or is there not a LotRO class/profession who's primary function is to strum a guitar in the midst of battle?

It's silly. :p
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:
    There are no bards in lotro. Maybe you are thinking of DDO. If you mean minstrels those are heals not dps. Even tho they do have damage I wouldnt consider them by any means dps. Thats runekeepers and hunters. Maybe captians also. The magic part is the lore. There was little magic in middle earth. The people like gandalf and sauron were almost gods being immortal and all. There was but 7 wizards total in middle earth. This era was coming from the era of magic to the era of man. Even at the end all the elves and lesser valar left middle earth.

And one good photon torpedo to blast them all :D
    edited March 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:

3 1/2 hours is entirely too long to sit out of a fight. :p
    edited March 2010
    3 1/2 hours is entirely too long to sit out of a fight. :p

LOL True but I can guarantee you would find players a lot more willing to cooperate. :D
    edited March 2010
    Of course not no one likes to loose a match but its no DP and as far as PVE most of those games have PVE versions some are coop. There is no loosing in those either you just respawn ata respawn point and get back in the fight untill the objective is complete. Try HL2 DM coop or Left 4 Dead UT3 story mode all are pve coop and dont have a DP. Im mearly stating you were wrong in saying ALL games have a DP. Also i just finished playing Dragon Age a few hrs ago and died 4 times in a particular mission I LOST NOTHING i just respawned and went back in and kept fighting till i made it through. I never got penilized for anything. Just a bloody screen saying i failed but that was all it respawned me at the last unlocked spawn point. Hell when it respawned me i got back all the pots i drank befor i died.

I did say ALL, but a few posts earlier I said 99.99999%, which is almost all. So I don't feel too bad. As for Dragon Age, it has the same penalty I mentioned earlier: Starting the encounter over with all enemies at full strength, still a penalty.
    edited March 2010
    Is there or is there not a LotRO class/profession who's primary function is to strum a guitar in the midst of battle?

Well there is in fact my main is a minstrel. My class is not only the hardest to play right but also the most fun (in my opinion). I love the animations and playing music to irritate or soothe monsters. I do not think it is silly at all.
    edited March 2010

Great, now I have LOTRO, DPs and the movie Deliverance swimming around in my head. :eek: ;)
    edited March 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    LOL True but I can guarantee you would find players a lot more willing to cooperate. :D

Ok, lets do it then!
    edited March 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:

Actually, they'd probably feel an unstoppable urge to go play Lord of the Rings Online....
    edited March 2010

As silly as spaceships that cant go up or down?
    edited March 2010
    Khorak wrote: »
    Actually, they'd probably feel an unstoppable urge to go play Lord of the Rings Online....

Perhaps :)
    edited March 2010

Like it or not, bards and minstrels are a mainstay in many a fantasy world. Yes they play music in the heat of battle. I agree its kind of silly, but so are so many other things about fantasy. That is what makes it great.
    edited March 2010
    Mikotren wrote:

Haha omg man this was hilarious. Thank god i didnt have a mouthful of coffee when I read that.
    edited March 2010
    Mikotren wrote:

Ever played SFC?
    edited March 2010
    This thread has evolved nicely...lol...:D
    edited March 2010
    Planet03 wrote:
    This thread has evolved nicely...lol...:D

When the ban expires on Brucebleo and Rumbleskin, it'll go back to what it was, no need to worry.
    edited March 2010
    When the ban expires on Brucebleo and Rumbleskin, it'll go back to what it was, no need to worry.

They were banned? I didn't know that.
    edited March 2010
    I liked the XP debt decay. Earth and Beyond had it, as well. This is the answer to the 'casuals' problem. Their XP debt decays while they aren't playing. So they probably won't ever have to directly deal with it.

Heh. I used to just log on an alt when I had some debt. And since I'm an altaholic, it wasn't much of a penalty for me.
    edited March 2010

Wow I thought the guy just went to bed. I went back and looked and you are right they are on vacation.
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:
    Wow I thought the guy just went to bed. I went back and looked and you are right they are on vacation.

Quite lame, can't be because of anything they've said in this thread, right?
    edited March 2010

One would imagine it is not so much what they say, as much as the utterly relentless volume of it.
    edited March 2010
    I support the Optional Death Penalty and Difficultly Slider.

More Options = More Ways to enjoy the game!

Anyone against either is an epeen Raider from WoW that want to flaunt around with their “epic gear” and brag about “I even did it with the Death Penalty on”.

Give everyone a way to play how they want. Then, in turn, play how you want. To each their own and if you want to FORCE people to play how you want them to maybe you should become a game designer?

Bravo Cryptic for two features that I support 100%. Bravo!
    edited March 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    Ever played SFC?

SFC didn't make any pretense toward being a 3D game. It was explicitly abstracted to 2D.

Making a plane-oriented 2.5D hybrid is ok if it's designed so that you don't have annoying TRIBBLE like levels that are canted at a greater angle than player ships can move or you don't have situations where you can park on top of something and prevent return fire.
    edited March 2010

I dont know and we arent supposed to talk about that stuff. (meaning actions taken by mods)
    edited March 2010
    I did say ALL, but a few posts earlier I said 99.99999%, which is almost all. So I don't feel too bad..
    The only games that have a real DP are mmos which only make up a much smaller % than 99.99999%

As for Dragon Age, it has the same penalty I mentioned earlier: Starting the encounter over with all enemies at full strength, still a penalty.

It seems you are right so if thats the case among other so called DPs youve mentioned in all the games ive mentioned. Then STO already has a couple of DPs all in one cause everytime i die in pvp and loose the match its a DP, Everytime i die in space pve i respawn at the beginning with most of my crew wounded and have to fly all the way back to the fight not to mention my countdown timers havent reset thats a DP. When i die on the ground in pve i respawn all the way back at the beginning and have to run all the way back to get in the fight and in infected the room respawns back to the way it was pre fight thats a DP. oh yea and my countdowns dont reset on the ground thats a DP. If we already have all these DPs why do we need more.
    edited March 2010
    If we already have all these DPs why do we need more.

Its already a given we are getting some kind of DP. What it is noone knows but we do know its optional. The debate now is more about what that DP should or shouldnt be and whether there should be any difference between people who have it on and people who do not.