test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LOL at Optional DP

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Really Jack? optional? come on, I dont really care that much about a DP ether way but a optional one? talk about a cop out (spelling of cop out grammer?lol /care). Why bother to add a optional one, noone will nerf themselfs, Ether have a DP or dont, optional is just to ...................

ok as of page 40 of this thread most people seem to favour a DP and dif silder as optional if there is extra good rewards tied to using said DP and dif slider, Also the reward shouldent be SP as we lvl to fast already

Here are the current dev posts from this thread
coderanger wrote:
One might also ask why anyone would ever use the difficulty sliders people are so hopeful for to make the game harder. OMG Stronger Borgs! Risk vs. reward, its the name of the game.
coderanger wrote:
I can't say specifically (since I have no idea, not a designer) what the reward structure for either of those will be, but thats the way it works in general in all games. Any time you have a greater personal risk, you want a greater possible reward. Everyone has their own sweet spot for that balance though (see also: both Eve and Free Realms exist happily at opposite ends of the spectrum).
coderanger wrote:
I'm not really speaking of either in particular, just a general maxim of game design and why someone would voluntarily "nerf" themselves.
coderanger wrote:
Also a pony.
coderanger wrote:
The magic of the long tail.
coderanger wrote:
Now if only some smart, funny and lets face it, handsome Cryptic employee had agreed that would be a rather silly way to do things. If ONLY!
coderanger wrote:
I respond to threads that amuse me mostly. I'm killing time while I wait another 10 minutes for something to finish :-)
coderanger wrote:
I am indeed a developer, I'm just not a game designer. I work on central data services like the patcher, installers, and [redacted].
coderanger wrote:
Diamonds is a he :-P
coderanger wrote:
If you want to see me making useful posts, click down to the tech forums. I just drop in on game discussion threads for fun. This particular thread seemed like it needed an infusion of logic.
Phoxe wrote:
Ok, this thread has been going on for awhile, and while it's gotten pretty hot at times, it seems to have leveled out to a civil discussion, so I'd LIKE to allow it to continue. Please try to keep it civil, so I can do so. I would like, however, to make one comment:

Discussing the pros and cons of a death penalty is one thing, go for it! Perhaps however, you could wait until you know what we actually have planned before you lampoon us for suggesting an optional death penalty?
Phoxe wrote:
This thread is 50 pages old. In internet-time, that's going on for awhile. I made no mention of the passage of time.
Phoxe wrote:
Also, once again all I'm saying is, you guys have no idea what our ideas for a death penalty are, other than it will be optional.

Generally, when one picks apart an idea, it helps to actually knowing what the idea IS.
Phoxe wrote:
It is not my place to tell, and that is beside the point anyway.

When the plans are fully fleshed out and the time is right, I'm sure there will be an announement. Until then all anyone can do is speculate. Just, should you choose to speculate, please do so respectfully towards your fellow posters, k? :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Maybe its optional so that you could have it on for the main story of the game, then turn it off for those missions where you know you're going to die a dozen times before you complete them, such as the STFs of Fleet Actions?

I'd hate to go into one of them with a DP in place, but wouldn't mind having one in place for the missions throughout the rest of the game.
    edited March 2010
    I kinda like the way it is now. However, if it is optional, how about up the ante for those that enable it? Better loot drops, more merits, etc.?
    edited March 2010
    What? Optional? What?

Im just......what?

Cryptic.....sigh. Do these guys actually even play games? Ever? Their decisions that they make from time to time just boggle my mind.

Maybe they could put in a C-Store option NOT to have a death penalty. Or to have one! Yeeeeea!
    edited March 2010
    I do not think it should be optional either. Why would anyone enable it?
    edited March 2010
    Rumbleskin wrote: »
    Really Jack? optional? come on, I dint really care that much about a DP ether way but a optional one? talk about a cop out (spelling of cop out grammer?lol /care). Why bother to add a optional one, noone will nerf themselfs, The out cry for a DP was to add a reasion not to zerg, your optional DP just spits all over that. Ether have a DP or dont, optional is just to ...................

Did they actually say it was going to be optional?? Screenshot or didn't happen!!
    edited March 2010
    Why bother to add a optional one, noone will nerf themselfs,

When why are they asking for it? If they ask for it they should use it. Those who didn't ask for it don't have to. Everybody is happy. Except you it seems. But that's old news.:D
    edited March 2010
    Planet03 wrote:
    I kinda like the way it is now. However, if it is optional, how about up the ante for those that enable it? Better loot drops, more merits, etc.?

This I wouldn't mind one bit, if they make it optional.
    edited March 2010
    reon wrote: »
    Did they actually say it was going to be optional?? Screenshot or didn't happen!!

i am listening to the interview with jack and he said optional
    edited March 2010
    Really Jack? [Death Penalty] optional?
    How about we first let them add the DP on Tribble, then we go check it out and see how it works, and then start the doom-cries? Hmm? :rolleyes:

Heck, who knows, they might even find a way to reward us with a meaningful death-sequence/penalty.. and not yet-another-time-sink... ;)
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:

So you're saying that people who've been screaming for DP would choose to not turn it on, solely because it's optional?
    edited March 2010

ahhh well optional is the logical way to go, it allows people to go way left, way right, or middle. /applaud
    edited March 2010
    ...noone will nerf themselfs...

I do, every time a character I have dies it gets deleted and remade. That will happen with the DP or without though so meh.

Needless to say, "no one" is too large of a term. "You" won't nerf "yourself".

Also, where did they say it would be optional? Linkage? (Or is this just more sensationalism?)
    edited March 2010
    So you're saying that people who've been screaming for DP would choose to not turn it on, solely because it's optional.

Not unless they get something for it. I mean why would they?
    edited March 2010
    K-Tar wrote:
    When why are they asking for it? If they ask for it they should use it. Those who didn't ask for it don't have to. Everybody is happy. Except you it seems. But that's old news.:D

That's not true at all.

Consider this: Let's add optional missions. Those who don't want to actually do stuff can just turn off the "fly missions" checkbox and collect enough xp to get to level cap. It's optional, so everyone's happy.

Except, it's also gimping anyone who has the box checked and fundamentally alters the game by having people play essentially different versions.

The EXACT same thing applies with an optional DP. It's an all or nothing concept. Trying to compromise by making it optional is essentially paying lip service to one side while giving the other side what they want and calling it a compromise.

Anyway, last I read it was still up in the air as to what they were going to do, so I'm not going to trust Rumble about it without proof, as it's not a skill-cap thread.
    edited March 2010
    HOLD ON HOLD ON!

HOLD THE PHONE!

Let me get this straight.

They are making an optional Death Penalty.

As in...

Op-tion-al : involving an option : not compulsory

Why would they ever make something like that?

Why would anyone ever nerf themselves?

I am so confused right now...
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:
    Not unless they get something for it. I mean why would they?

Why ask for it to NOT be optional, if you won't use it if it IS optional? The way I look at it, if you're one of the people asking for a DP, and you choose to not use it if it's optional, you're a hypocrite.
    edited March 2010
    I do, every time a character I have dies it gets deleted and remade. That will happen with the DP or without though so meh.

Needless to say, "no one" is too large of a term. "You" won't nerf "yourself".

Also, where did they say it would be optional? Linkage? (Or is this just more sensationalism?)

Umm? I nerf myself.
    edited March 2010
    Why ask for it to NOT be optional, if you won't use it if it IS optional? The way I look at it, if you're one of the people asking for a DP, and you choose to not use it if it's optional, you're a hypocrite.

That makes no sense.

They want it to not be optional so everyone is forced into the same gimpy state. If it's optional, it would be idiotic to use it without any bonus.

I suggest this, Make it optional, Rename it "Hardcore Mode" or some TRIBBLE. Then make it so every reward you get is given a 50% boost.

50% more Merits, 50% more skillpoints, 50% more energy credits.

This way the people who don't want to have a DP can slow walk their way to poor town, while the Hardcore players get something from it.

This making sense to anyone?
    edited March 2010
    Really Jack? optional? come on, I dont really care that much about a DP ether way but a optional one? talk about a cop out (spelling of cop out grammer?lol /care). Why bother to add a optional one, noone will nerf themselfs, The out cry for a DP was to add a reasion not to zerg, your optional DP just spits all over that. Ether have a DP or dont, optional is just to ...................

Those of us who were against the DP were assured by all the pro harsh death penalty people that they only wanted a DP for a sense of purpose and fear. They made it clear that their want of a DP was purely personal, but now we see the truth here as I said it was all along. The pro DP people wanted it purely for griefing purposes.

The decision to make it optional is the best decision Cryptic could make especially after a month of making the wrong decisions. Kudos Cryptic.
    edited March 2010
    Let me get this straight, people asked for the DP, get their DP. And those who didnt want it dont have to implement it. And people are upset by this? You got what you wanted. There was no talk from the side looking for a DP about perks to a DP with loot. But now you want to throw that in there ? Typical gamers...give them an inch and theyll try to take a mile.
    edited March 2010
    That makes no sense.

They want it to not be optional so everyone is forced into the same gimpy state. If it's optional, it would be idiotic to use it without any bonus.

I suggest this, Make it optional, Rename it "Hardcore Mode" or some TRIBBLE. Then make it so every reward you get is given a 50% boost.

50% more Merits, 50% more skillpoints, 50% more energy credits.

This way the people who don't want to have a DP can slow walk their way to poor town, while the Hardcore players get something from it.

This making sense to anyone?

And you know they won't do this, how?

We know of no details on the DP, other than there will be one and it may be optional. QQing about it with no details whatsoever seems to be par for the course for you and OP.
    edited March 2010

I agree with Jack fully. Both in his disbelief that anyone would ever really want it, and making it entirely optional. I also agree with him that Assassin's Creed II was not any less fun because it had no death penalty.

The Pro-DP people claimed that having a DP wasn't for griefing purposes on others but to make themselves play better. Not for better loot, not for griefing, but to make themselves play smarter and feel more challenged. So having it optional should make them completely happy, right? ;)
    edited March 2010
    Umm? I nerf myself.

you really delete a char how many char's have you made so far? I am guessing you do not pvp either else that guy would never make it past rank 1. Anyway thats pretty cool that you do that I would not beause i get to attached to my char's sometimes does that ever happen to you? Is the optional thing stupid ya meh i will just turn it off during pvp or something when you know you will die allot i guess.
    edited March 2010
    Notice how they ignore my post(s).

They claim no one would nerf themselves, yet I do.

Silence, wish they would implement this when thinking of threads to sensationalize.
    edited March 2010
    Now we'll see how many of those who felt they needed a DP in order to make the game 'challenging' actually use it. My guess is none - they just wanted to impose it on others.
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:

Because YOU people said you wanted one for yourselves and your sense of leetness. Obviosuly now we see the truth behind your motives. Its that others must have their gaming experience ruined before you can feel satisfied in yours.
    edited March 2010
    Salexander wrote:
    Those of us who were against the DP were assured by all the pro harsh death penalty people that they only wanted a DP for a sense of purpose and fear. They made it clear that their want of a DP was purely personal, but now we see the truth here as I said it was all along. The pro DP people wanted it purely for griefing purposes.

The decision to make it optional is the best decision Cryptic could make especially after a month of making the wrong decisions. Kudos Cryptic.

Griefing? How is it griefing to not have other members of your group constantly zerging dying and respawining all the time instead of actually trying to kill things and not die? I mean honestly I do not care one way or the other but if they make it optional they may as well not make it at all.
    edited March 2010
    Well of course DP is optional. You need 3 people and... oh wait.

My personal take on the optional death penalty, I think Emmert was just kidding about the optional part. Although I'm sure there's going to be forum posts about it if it's truly optional or not when it comes out.
    edited March 2010
    And you know they won't do this, how?

We know of no details on the DP, other than there will be one and it may be optional. QQing about it with no details whatsoever seems to be par for the course for you and OP.

Nobody is QQing kid, I'm giving an alternative to the basic idea.

Read my post again.

Nobody will use it if no bonuses is given. It's a waste of development time by even making the death penalty if there is no bonus to using it.

Thats why I think it's dumb as is.

Why can't anyone see that.

Give bonuses to using it, if you decide not to give bonuses, then make it so everyone is forced into using it. If not that, don't even add a DP at all.

Nobody will gimp themselves, ever...
    edited March 2010
    NinetyNine wrote: »
    That's not true at all.

Consider this: Let's add optional missions. Those who don't want to actually do stuff can just turn off the "fly missions" checkbox and collect enough xp to get to level cap. It's optional, so everyone's happy.

Except, it's also gimping anyone who has the box checked and fundamentally alters the game by having people play essentially different versions.

The EXACT same thing applies with an optional DP. It's an all or nothing concept. Trying to compromise by making it optional is essentially paying lip service to one side while giving the other side what they want and calling it a compromise.
    Excuse me?!?!!?!? :confused: We already have people play essentially different versions. Depending on your class/role/ship/BO/gear, you're playing a slightly different game that I am. If you're teaming or soloing, you're playing things differently! Heck, we can already reject missions based on mission type. I haven't played DSE/Fleet-Actions for a while now, and I don't even miss them.

Clearly, the most important issue if an optional DP was introduced, would be how will teaming in a mixed group be for gameplay. In other words, if two people are teaming, one enables DP and the other does not, what would that do to the gameplay dynamics between the two players. I bet this is exactly what's on Cryptics' mind at the moment. If the optional DP is what they decide to implement, at all, that is.