test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Cryptic's graphics engine a bit rubbish performance wise?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Graphical and Sound Issues
I have what I think is still a pretty good system:

AMD Athlon X2 2.2 GHz

6GB DDR2 RAM

2 Nvidia GeForce 512MB 8600 GTS in SLI

However I find that I can't raise the anti-aliasing above 2x or the shadows above Low (and ambient occlusion has to be off too) without causing bad frame rates/jumping. I can have the lighting on high which saves the visual look of the game but that still causes the occasional stutter.

Surely I should be able to set my graphics higher than this, especially seeing as my PC can play things like Half life 2 on full graphics with no trouble.

Also, oddly, lowering the resolution seems to have no effect on performance.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Well, imo your cpu is a little lacking, STO seems to fav cpu more than anything, which if it is the bottleneck no amount of video settings is gonna improve FPS. My comp has a 3.2ghz quad core but its bottlenecked by a single 9800gtx so I only run around 30-40 fps with everything maxed.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Trekker88 wrote: »
    Well, imo your cpu is a little lacking, STO seems to fav cpu more than anything, which if it is the bottleneck no amount of video settings is gonna improve FPS. My comp has a 3.2ghz quad core but its bottlenecked by a single 9800gtx so I only run around 30-40 fps with everything maxed.

Ah i see is it quite easy to replace a processor (I know you have to be very careful) do you have to re install the OS or does it just auto detect and change to compensate?

I think my motherboard supports AM2 and AM2+ chips, will have to see which ones I can have but I expect I can't afford one right now or at least can't justify the expense.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Changing CPU's "shouldn't" require a OS reinstall, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you know absolutely what your doing. If your going from a dual core to a quad you'll most likely have to flash the bios first depending on your motherboard age, which again I wouldn't recommend.

First I would check to see what kind of CPU usage you got going on, open up the task manager before you run STO and tab out every few mins to see what the graph looks like, it'll give you a rough idea if your CPU is the bottleneck.

And if you are near maxing your CPU you can try lowering the "Max physic debris objects" in the video setting, and/or enable the "Reduce CPU/GPU usage" under video options as well, under troubleshooting.

Edit: Now that the server is back up I see STO is using roughly 50% of my quad, which is 6.4ghz (theoretical) :eek: