What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

***What Kind of Death Penalty Do You Want?***

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Just so there is no misunderstanding. I'm 30, with a full time job and family as well.

And I support the Death Penalty.

Quit being so scared of paying some credits to repair your ship or having to replace a bridge officer.

Seriously, How much do you guys SUCK at this game? How often do you die for a death penalty to be so inconvenient? You guys must be horrible.

And I want better rewards because I don't suck like you.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alex1939 wrote: »
    Just so there is no misunderstanding. I'm 30, with a full time job and family as well.

Quit being so scared of paying some credits to repair your ship or having to replace a bridge officer.

Seriously, How much do you guys SUCK at this game? How often do you die for a death penalty to be so inconvenient? You guys must be horrible.

Yeah for 30 years old you really don't think and argue like one. We all suck? is that a fact?
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Most of you will play this game casually and be gone in a few months. That's fine. Those of us that want more will be gone too, because this game isn't offering enough challenge or competition.

Isn't this the point where the fans say "then leave"?

Changing the game to suit your playstyle is a big no-no, remember? "Don't like it leave" so they usually say.

I don't intend to pick on you Alex, but it's same deal.

EDIT: I can't believe I'm actually on the same side of a debate as Mickeyx
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    All the reasons why you are a troll:

Quit being so scared

Seriously, How much do you guys SUCK at this game?

You guys must be horrible.

because I don't suck like you.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zookz25 wrote:
    That's just a glass half (empty/full) thinking really.

It's still a death penalty, and you're still losing something, and it's still a penalty for dying. Wording it differently might be a good way to trick some people, but not everyone will just go along with it.

In all honestly, I don't want a death penalty anything worse than having to restart from a save point/checkpoint like in almost every new game that has come out in the recent years.

I would disagree that it is a death penalty. Semiotics means everything in creating a ludogic construct such as a MMORPG. "Phrasing" means more than you may realize. That said, I did not say I supported such a thing, I merely was offering something for another to chew on.

I'm pretty satisfied with the way the DP works now. I don't want it to change. What I do want is for those who just sit in a enemy signal instance and soak xp produced by other people to be punished for future AND past transgressions. I would love to see a penalty come on for that kind of activity that is also retroactive.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

First off, I doubt anyone cares about your age or job or family. DPs are outdated concepts for a lot of people and they don't want them. Myself included. The tone of your post suggests that you are more interested in spanking your e-peen than contributing to the game as a whole.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ok great for you. Those of us nerd gamers who take mmos a little more seriously, want more challenge, and competition... that doesn't work.

What most of you anti death penalty "kids" don't realize is how to maximize profits with an MMO.

Most of you will play this game casually and be gone in a few months. That's fine. Those of us that want more will be gone too, because this game isn't offering enough challenge or competition.

i love how people in the minority always talk as if they are the majority. So what like 10 people want death penalty? Go play WOW, since that seems to be what you want.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ayenn wrote:
    okay, I'm not sure what you are asking, but i'll take a shot at answering you(?).

I'm commander 3 with very limited game time. I have a life, I have a wife (she plays SWGemu atm while waiting for some REAL crafting and noncombat game play for STO), I have school (graduate student), and I have friends. given all that, I can play about an hour a day 5 days a week (Sat to Wednesday) and about 4 hours 2 days a week. If you are implying I do not have a life, you are WAY off. Thanks though, I still love you ;)

What if your wife and kids dont like to see yousitting on the PC for some Hours a day beacause there not in to Computer Games? We even have a TV anymore who neds ******** like Germany need a Superstar, dont know what the US original is called.

I hav Fun shooting up ships and exploring... the same I did with wow I needed 3 Month to get to 60 in 2005..
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    First off, I doubt anyone cares about your age or job or family. .

I don't know why anyone would either. But there were a few different posters with "I am old with a family don't have time for a death penalty." I just didn't think it was fair they are trying to corner the OLD market. :)

Ok, fine... no death penalty.. but a difficult slider with super rewards for those that play on hard. And when I'm flying around with all blue items, out dps'n you by 150%, don't complain.

You chose to go through the game on easy never learning how to actually PLAY in the first place.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Actually I'm quite good at STO. I died for the second time last night. Even during CB and OB when the game was a LOT harder I died collectively about 5 times through most of CB and OB. My opposition to a DP is from a design perspective. DPs are not necessary. they only clutter a good fun experience. To parrot Jack: shouldn't MMORPGs move beyond death penalties? It is immature game design.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wouldnt mind seeing some form of penalty. I do not want to lose my ship, all my officers, and delevel 8 times in the process, but as of now, all I lose is a little ego when I die..... and that is very temporary. Right now if you die, oh well. No biggie.

What would be a decent DP, I don't have an answer to that right now. I really don't know. I just think it is too easy at the current level.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You chose to go through the game on easy never learning how to actually PLAY in the first place.

You're starting to turn into a troll. Dont go down that road, it is dark... and sticky.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't know why anyone would either. But there were a few different posters with "I am old with a family don't have time for a death penalty." I just didn't think it was fair they are trying to corner the OLD market. :)

Ok, fine... no death penalty.. but a difficult slider with super rewards for those that play on hard. And when I'm flying around with all blue items, out dps'n you by 150%, don't complain.

Go back to wow and make Hero inis...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The one aspect I love about this game is no death penalty. Most games revolve around money in game, money for food, repairs, clothing etc...not everyone has a lot of money. And if there is a penatly and money needed to repair the ship, It wont be very good on the new players whom start out with basically zero until they do a few missions and sell some things.

Say no to Death penalties! XD
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Interesting assumption. Which btw that is just an assumption on your part. I don't care if you can out dps anyone. This is Star Trek, not the WOW Rogue Society. I do know how to PLAY this game and I still don't need a DP to do it. Also, thank you for proving my point about your e-peen.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Enjoy the game, but it's really missing some type of penalty.

It really reduces the thrill knowing my ship can blow up and I respawn a few kilometers away. Or my entire away team goes down, and we all just jump back up.

I would've really preferred a system where if the party wipes out, you have to restart the episode.

At least add repair costs, or bridge officer death, something!

There definitely needs to be some kind of death penalty!! Please. :D

role play and add your own death penalty.but don't force it on others.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mhuadib wrote:
    What if your wife and kids dont like to see yousitting on the PC for some Hours a day beacause there not in to Computer Games? We even have a TV anymore who neds ******** like Germany need a Superstar, dont know what the US original is called.

I hav Fun shooting up ships and exploring... the same I did with wow I needed 3 Month to get to 60 in 2005..

Hmm, you must be using some kind of internet translation program. I don't have kids, we met at a point in our lives where it is not really all that possible to have children because of the health risks. I don't play for hours a day. like I said, I get about 13 hours a week for personal activities or to play ANY game. For the record, I absolutely HATE television. It rots your brain and sucks independent though from your skull bone.

Do me a favor. Next reply, write it in German. My wife speaks German and can translate it for me.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To be perfectly honest, I can't be bothered to read the entire thread. I'm too irritated to wade through the legit posts. The reason I'm even posting this is because simply adding a death penalty is impossible without changing a few things. One of those things would be what's irritating me the most.

Spawn camping in the Deep Space Encounters. There is absolutely no reason for you to repeatedly spawn in the mob simply because they're at a never-changing spawn point. This alone is reason enough to shoot down any form of death penalty. There is absolutely no reason we can't respawn outside of the mob. I'm not even going to touch the fact that if you're not paying attention you get thrown into these encounters against your will, because I do understand that it adds an element to the game. A ship drops out of warp and starts attacking etc. But there is no excuse for allowing mobs to sit on top of a spawn point. If the devs decide to add some sort of penalty for dying, this better be the first thing they fix.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vervada wrote:
    The one aspect I love about this game is no death penalty. Most games revolve around money in game, money for food, repairs, clothing etc...not everyone has a lot of money. And if there is a penatly and money needed to repair the ship, It wont be very good on the new players whom start out with basically zero until they do a few missions and sell some things.

Say no to Death penalties! XD

Actually. if they took out the durability loss from WoW, it would still have a fine death penalty.

The money loss doesn't even cross my mind as a death penalty in WoW, it's just wiping on a fight and having to retry it that's enough of a death penalty, They could take out the money loss and I wouldn't even notice a difference.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ok plain and simple why add a deah penalty? wy copy from other MMO?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zookz25 wrote:
    Actually. if they took out the durability loss from WoW, it would still have a fine death penalty.

The money loss doesn't even cross my mind as a death penalty in WoW, it's just wiping on a fight and having to retry it that's enough of a death penalty, they could take out the money loss and I wouldn't even notice a difference.

I can agree with this.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mhuadib wrote:
    Ok plain and simple why add a deah penalty? wy copy from other MMO?

I don't want a death penalty more than what is there. I'm against a death penalty for the same reasons you are.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well I hope you all feel you are accomplishing a lot in this game.
    Billy Bob that died 50 times on that mission you worked your butt off on is just as far as you, with the same credits and same items.
    I vote no for changing the Death Penalty. I suspect Cryptic will do what a clear majority want. But imo there are more important things they could be worried about. But i understand that for some of you this is a big deal.

And I have to say it's an MMO. People getting things they 'haven't earned' is a big part of most MMOs. I can't tell you how frustrated i've felt after one of my WoW alts would grind out a difficult quest their own level and then watch some guy on an alt that was four levels lower get run through the same quest by four of his higher level buddies in 30 seconds to get the same XP and drops I just got. So unless you can guarantee that people in groups won't get as good rewards as people that solo, I think this is not valid.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This game absolutely needs some sort of death penalty. Also, the difficulty needs to be increased, as combat right now is a joke.

The people who are against a death penalty have no idea what we are asking for.

Yeah I got NO idea what your talking about, its not like I played EQ1 for 7 years and went on a million corpse runs, no I got NO idea what your asking for. :rolleyes:

Ill be money the people whining for a death penalty are all at least Captains now, generally a whine for a death penalty or increased difficulty comes from Elitist wannabees who want to sit around in their shiny new armor while everyone else struggles to catch up.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tonight, Engineer Ensign Ezekiel died in combat.

We were murdering civilians at some Ferenigi's bar that happened to be in our way. Ezekiel began to question the morals of what we were doing. He hesitated and some scurvy bar patron killed him.

I replaced for him 1000 credits.

And shed a single tear.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The point is simple there are a lot of Players Trekkis here who never Played a MMO why impose old MMO rules from other MMO here.

Just for a few old DAOC Players?

What did Spock say when he died in ST II The need of the Many......

so pleas cut the TRIBBLE with Death Penalty
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No, No, No, No, No.....

Definitely not before the more glaring combat bugs are fixed.

+38 level mobs one shotting in Enemy Signal Contact Deep Space Encounters make it unreasonable to have a death penalty. Fixed the bugs first.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I vote for mandatory team missions because 1 ship vs a fleet and winning is not very accurate. You would die. And die horribly at that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I got NO idea what your talking about, its not like I played EQ1 for 7 years and went on a million corpse runs, no I got NO idea what your asking for. :rolleyes:

Ill be money the people whining for a death penalty are all at least Captains now, generally a whine for a death penalty or increased difficulty comes from Elitist wannabees who want to sit around in their shiny new armor while everyone else struggles to catch up.

Ok.. I have played EQ for 10+ years.. and still do.. It had the harshest Death Penalty I have seen early on.. they dumbed the whole game down later on.. I suffered through a 6 hour CR effort in Plane of Fear <shudder> but I digress..

I'm suprised that an EQ vet like yourself would be averse to a death penalty.. we're not talking about running naked from Freeport to Qeynos here.. but I mean.. SOME sort of risk should be involved when you are waging war...

For those of you who have never played an MMO with a Death Penalty... All I can say is... victory in a mission or pvp or whatever is SO MUCH sweeter when your pulse is pounding and you are scared sh*itless that you may die and lose hours of game-play exp.. or items... or whatever the penalty may be...
    It REALLY makes you keep on your toes.. and it makes the game you are playing very much more rewarding.. It makes the experience so much more exciting...

Playing a game with no penalty for dying.. is tantamount to playing on God-Mode..

That's not for me...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Beat me, whip me, make me do naughty things!:p

Yes, we need some sort of death penalty. Some reason not to just charge in willy nilly and rely on respawn as our saving grace.

Wow...guess what...not everyone dashes in ..how did you put.."Wlly nilly". I for one and I'm sure many others use..what's it called again..oh yes.."TACTICS". and do our darndest to NOT DIE AT ALL. You want some sort of punishment for getting defeated...well there are plenty more that don't...and I think that those that don't outnumber those that do....how do I know....look at the gazillion other threads covering this dead and bloated horse topic and you will see more against than for.