test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

***What Kind of Death Penalty Do You Want?***

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Alex1939 wrote: »
    If you have posted in this thread and suggested "self impose a death penalty" you are a fool that does not understand why people want a death penalty in the first place.

Why whats wrong with that suggestion? you want risks why not do it yourself? why do you need Cryptic to force punishment for you?
    edited February 2010
    If you have posted in this thread and suggested "self impose a death penalty" you are a fool that does not understand why people want a death penalty in the first place.

Well then explain to me why we should all share your hedonistic tedancies?

I am intriqued.
    edited February 2010
    There already is a death penalty: time wasted. Any other form of penalty, outside of spending a small amount of credits to repair your ship, is insanity.
    edited February 2010

oh, I understand completely. What I also understand is that there will not be one and that I am glad for that. I'm pretty sick of being penalized for playing a game. It is nice to know that there is at least one company that understand that this is an issue for those of us who only have a handful of hours to play every week.

As far as being a fool... well... yeah... I'll leave that one alone.
    edited February 2010
    Why would I want to give other players an advantage?

Why would I want to give other players, players that are suicide runners and power levelers, an advantage?

Part of mmo's is competition and cooperative play. I would like to play with people that improve their gameplay as they advance levels.

Not having a death penalty promotes crappy gameplay and a worse atmosphere.
    edited February 2010
    Why would I want to give other players an advantage?

Why would I want to give other players, players that are suicide runners and power levelers, an advantage?

Part of mmo's is competition and cooperative play. I would like to play with people that improve their gameplay as they advance levels.

So are you happy to have a reward for staying alive, rather than a penalty for dying? this way you have an edge over people who dont care about dying.

Or do you just want a timesink effect?
    edited February 2010
    Well I hope you all feel you are accomplishing a lot in this game.

Billy Bob that died 50 times on that mission you worked your butt off on is just as far as you, with the same credits and same items.

You fought hard.. flew away to save your ship.. heal up.. and come back in great combat.

Billy Bob suicided into the pack 40 times in a row.

But he gets the same reward as you. He is as good as you in this game.

Because you don't want an incentive to be better at the game.
    edited February 2010
    No to death penalty. Got other things to do with my time and money. Enjoy game like is penalty wise more casual friendly.
    edited February 2010

Billy Bob that died 50 times on that mission you worked your butt off on is just as far as you, with the same credits and same items.

You fought hard.. flew away to save your ship.. heal up.. and come back in great combat.

So you basicly want to punish people who dont follow your style of play?
    edited February 2010

you forgot to put "it is my opinion that" before that statement.

I have not encountered said "crappy gameplay" and the implied "bad atmosphere". Yeah, those soakers in signal contacts are annoying but they will get their sone enough.
    edited February 2010

Maybe Billy Bob just wants to have fun? ever thought about that?
    edited February 2010
    Carefull with utube vids, the mod dioandora (or whoever) just gave me an infraction for posting the billy madison debate video:confused:

That sucks. I always like your links.
    edited February 2010
    So are you happy to have a reward for staying alive, rather than a penalty for dying? this way you have an edge over people who dont care about dying.

Or do you just want a timesink effect?

That's fine. Give me an option to play on a harder difficulty or with a death penalty. Then give me better items, more items, and more credits than someone who plays on easy mode.

Yeah, I'd be happy with rewards vs. death penalty.

Just give me rewards I earn for playing better!
    edited February 2010

He is as good as you in this game.

This is where most of the kids wanting a death penalty miss the point i think.

I'm thinking those against a death penalty see STO for what it is, a fun game and a good way to kill some time on the weekend.

If you play a video game to get a sense of accomplishment then maybe you should pick up another hobby.

I don't need incentive to be better at a video game. I need the video game to be fun, stress free, and easy to pick and and put down.
    edited February 2010
    I would like an option to increase or decrease the mission difficulty like in CoH.
    edited February 2010
    Just give me rewards I earn for playing better!

Somewhere there is a survival bonus thread. how about that instead of a DP?
    edited February 2010
    Qoojo wrote:
    I would like an option to increase or decrease the mission difficulty like in CoH.

Um, yeah, keep up on the dev stuff... they are working on that.
    edited February 2010
    This is where most of the kids wanting a death penalty miss the point i think.

I'm thinking those against a death penalty see STO for what it is, a fun game and a good way to kill some time on the weekend.

If you play a video game to get a sense of accomplishment then maybe you should pick up another hobby.

I don't need incentive to be better at a video game. I need the video game to be fun, stress free, and easy to pick and and put down.

Ok great for you. Those of us nerd gamers who take mmos a little more seriously, want more challenge, and competition... that doesn't work.

What most of you anti death penalty "kids" don't realize is how to maximize profits with an MMO.

Most of you will play this game casually and be gone in a few months. That's fine. Those of us that want more will be gone too, because this game isn't offering enough challenge or competition.
    edited February 2010
    Ayenn wrote:

Sure, anything to offer incentives for improving one's own gameplay, I fully support.
    edited February 2010
    Sure, anything to offer incentives for improving one's own gameplay, I fully support.

Then we have reached an accord. Rewarding staying alive FTW. Punishment for dying FTL :)
    edited February 2010
    Ok great for you. Those of us nerd gamers who take mmos a little more seriously, want more challenge, and competition... that doesn't work.

What most of you anti death penalty "kids" don't realize is how to maximize profits with an MMO.

Most of you will play this game casually and be gone in a few months. That's fine. Those of us that want more will be gone too, because this game isn't offering enough challenge or competition.

So your not for a death plenty as much as you are for a time sink to maximize cryptic's revenues?

If you want challenge and competition maybe you should join a sports league?
    edited February 2010
    So your not for a death plenty as much as you are for a time sink to maximize cryptic's revenues?

If you want challenge and competition maybe you should join a sports league?

<sigh>

I am for anything that promotes improving one's own gameplay. I'm for anything that makes the game more challenging. I am for anything that promotes rewards and riches for better players.

I can't believe so many people want to play such a simple game with no challenge or penalty for poor performance. Maybe you should go back to Pacman, Wesley.

Oh but I guess that game was too hard for you because eventually you lost your lives and it ended. :rolleyes:
    edited February 2010

I always play at my best capacity, regardless. My incentive is to enjoy STO, which I cannot if I am not trying and lazing my way through play time. Keeping this in mind, any incentive to preform better will not dissuade the socially deviant from playing like TRIBBLE at the expense of other players as well as them selves. You can see that in all of the admirals who have skipped the core content of the game. People will play badly and grief regardless of any incentives. Thinking incentive, positive or negative, will increase player performance is at least mildly delusional.

If you are talking about your personal need for incentive, perhaps a high priced professional dom would help you play better, you bad BAD person you. Do as you mistress tells you or your gona git it!
    edited February 2010
    Ayenn wrote:
    I always play at my best capacity, regardless. My incentive is to enjoy STO, which I cannot if I am not trying and lazing my way through play time. Keeping this in mind, any incentive to preform better will not dissuade the socially deviant from playing like TRIBBLE at the expense of other players as well as them selves. You can see that in all of the admirals who have skipped the core content of the game. People will play badly and grief regardless of any incentives. Thinking incentive, positive or negative, will increase player performance is at least mildly delusional.

If you are talking about your personal need for incentive, perhaps a high priced professional dom would help you play better, you bad BAD person you. Do as you mistress tells you or your gona git it!

thes text says nothing what level are you?

I am after 2.2.10 just LtCmd 6 beause I hav a life and a Wife.
    edited February 2010

Actually, statistically speaking casual gamers tend to stick with games far longer than hard core gamers. Hard core gamers WILL get bored and move on, no matter what the devs do. This is why most MMOs are moving towards a more casual crowd lately.

Those guys that got to Admiral 5 already? They'd be gone next month even if the game shipped with tons of end-game content. (it should have shipped with some but that's another discussion.) You guys that want challenge? Once you min-max your stats, crew, and ship you'll get bored and leave. I've seen it ever since the days of UO and it always happens exactly the same. Those guys who log on and have fun with friends? They tend to stay for years.

I hope they don't put a death penalty in. I've got a full time job and a family and this game is just for me to experience a little Trek and have some fun. Frankly, the episodes aren't balanced well enough for a DP. Some are total cakewalks. Some jump you with far superior forces and/or weird conditions that cause lots of deaths.

Anyone play the Briar Patch in beta? For those of you that haven't played that mission you're in a Nebula filled with explosive gases. The gases can be destroyed with weapons fire, where they explode and insta-kill anything close to them. The solution seems easy, go slow and use your weapons to clear a path right? Good plan except the gases "respawn" constantly. So, you'll be fighting something, a gas pocket spawns and bam! You're dead. And guess what? In beta at least there were no respawn points partway through the mission. Since it's a nebula you can't go full impulse. This means a long, slow flight back to where you died. If you add a DP on top of that I can gurantee most players wouldn't ever finish that mission.
    edited February 2010

You don't know that in the slightest.

IF you are into this game cause it is a STAR TREK mmo, then you will be fine unless they pull a SOE. Otherwise your probably gonna be gone anyway.
    edited February 2010
    Most of you death penalty people probably wont be playing this game for more than a few months, so why do you care anyway?
    edited February 2010
    mhuadib wrote:
    thes text says nothing what level are you?

I am after 2.2.10 just LtCmd 6 beause I hav a life and a Wife.

okay, I'm not sure what you are asking, but i'll take a shot at answering you(?).

I'm commander 3 with very limited game time. I have a life, I have a wife (she plays SWGemu atm while waiting for some REAL crafting and noncombat game play for STO), I have school (graduate student), and I have friends. given all that, I can play about an hour a day 5 days a week (Sat to Wednesday) and about 4 hours 2 days a week. If you are implying I do not have a life, you are WAY off. Thanks though, I still love you ;)
    edited February 2010
    Ayenn wrote:

That's just a glass half (empty/full) thinking really.

It's still a death penalty, you're still losing something, it's still a penalty for dying. Wording it differently might be a good way to trick some people, but some people can know enough to see it's just a change of wording.

In all honestly, I don't want a death penalty anything worse than having to restart from a save point/checkpoint like in almost every new game that has come out in the recent years.

STO has checkpoints, that's cool, but they don't work like checkpoints, they just work like respawn points. If you die, you should have to *RESTART* from said checkpoint, not to simply respawnat it. By restart, I mean if everyone on your team dies, you then respawn at the checkpoint with everything back to how it was when you reached that checkpoint.

This is how almost every single game deals with the death penalty because it shows no physical loss of something, but presents a challange can must be overcome with some thinking, and not by just zerging it.

All I really want is for the zerging fail-safe to be rid of, and to actually have a need for tactics and strategy; I don't even care if I get better rewards than someone else, I just want that someone else to have actually completed the mission how the mission was presented.

It's like having to fight a boss in a game, where to boss does have weak spots, but you don't need to hit them, you can just shoot at his armor and it hurts him just as much; in this situation, who is really going to try and shoot to weak spots? No one.

Just make the checkpoints already in the game work like checkpoints should imo, and not just like respawn points.

PS: I'm also going to have to disagree with a self-imposed death penallty, it simply can't work. It's like giving a criminal the option of being put in jail or not. You really think someone would go "Well, yeah, I did the wrong thing, I should be locked up." ... of course not, you're going to want to be out of jail. If he didn't want to be in jail, he wouldn't of done the wrong thing in the first place.

This is the same logic that should be put to people using the zerg tactic. They're dying, that means they're doing it wrong, which means they need to try and do the right thing before they can just carry on with the episode.

I'm really hoping the Raid-i-sodes have working checkpoints :(
    edited February 2010
    wow soo many lol's in your post.. where to start...

"I am for anything that promotes improving one's own gameplay. I'm for anything that makes the game more challenging"

No video game is challenging...if you think moving your pixels thru a vitrual wold is a challenge then you need to stop gaming and get some support groups.

"I am for anything that promotes rewards and riches for better players."

So it not about fun its more about being able to stroke the E-Pen huh? "RAWR im top lvl and have the best gear!! it wasn't fun and took me 3 years but i am the man!!!!"

"I can't believe so many people want to play such a simple game with no challenge or penalty for poor performance."

I know it might be hard for you to get this...but some people play a video game...cause its FUN!!! i know WTF!!

"Maybe you should go back to Pacman, Wesley."
    Always have at least on version on my pc!

"Oh but I guess that game was too hard for you because eventually you lost your lives and it ended"

Played Eve for the last 5 years, compared to other MMO's on the market it has a rather harsh DP. Did it make eve more of a challenge? Nope just had to spend more "down" time replacing ships i lost rather then playing the game. DP's i dont care about, time sinks and elitest gamers i can do without.