test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

***What Kind of Death Penalty Do You Want?***

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Enjoy the game, but it's really missing some type of penalty.

It really reduces the thrill knowing my ship can blow up and I respawn a few kilometers away. Or my entire away team goes down, and we all just jump back up.

I would've really preferred a system where if the party wipes out, you have to restart the episode.

At least add repair costs, or bridge officer death, something!

There definitely needs to be some kind of death penalty!! Please. :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    If your party wipes, beam out and restart again.

If you die x number of times, delete ship and buy a new one.

Do whatever ya like, just dont expect other people to want the same penalities you do. Because at the end of the day, the game is about fun, and almost any penalty you come up with is simply 'waiting room' mentality.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here is a death penalty for you - the next time you die in the game, just delete the character then the game from your hard drive and there you go - that penalty enough for you? Just because you want a penalty for being dumb enough to get killed doesnt mean the rest of us do. Maybe I dont get to play all the hours some others can. I get to do a few missions a night and on the weekends. I am not interested in loosing all that effort just because someone thought the game was to easy. Its like the goobers complaining of no end game - this has been out a week and they crying about end game content already :mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This game absolutely needs some sort of death penalty. Also, the difficulty needs to be increased, as combat right now is a joke.

The people who are against a death penalty have no idea what we are asking for. They ignorantly keep saying they don't want things like lost XP, lost ships, lost items/credits. Those are severe penalties that are not what most pro-death penalty people are asking for. Simply having crew numbers permanently die and need replacement would be a strong enough DP for me. There must be something.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What this game needs more is another 4 threads about death penalties on the first page :-p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Increase the combat difficulty? yes.. but i am not in favour of death penalty.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shadezilla wrote:
    What this game needs more is another 4 threads about death penalties on the first page :-p

Amen the eleventy billion we have just aren't unique enough.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you say you don't want a death penalty - aren't you essentially asking for a game you cannot lose?

Where's the fun in that? If you cannot lose, who cares if you win?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    If you say you don't want a death penalty - aren't you essentially asking for a game you cannot lose?

Loss cannot be seen only in death penalty.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Naked ship runs through space for the win!

/shout Can anyone help me? My ship is in the system Guk and camped by 10 MOBs. Plus, space is really causing some shrinkage problems.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alex1939 wrote: »

It really reduces the thrill knowing my ship can blow up and I respawn a few kilometers away. Or my entire away team goes down, and we all just jump back up.

I would've really preferred a system where if the party wipes out, you have to restart the episode.

What the hell makes people like you always think that you are speaking for all of us??? Shoo, go away!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What the hell makes people like you always think that you are speaking for all of us??? Shoo, go away!!

He is speaking for myself, and many others. Most of you anti-death penalty people probably wont be playing this game for more than a few months, so why do you care anyway?

PS. no where in the OPs post did he say he was speaking for anyone else besides himself.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think a voluntary death penalty could be enacted. Take a weapon off line and continue, or change to a lesser engine.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    He is speaking for myself, and many others. Most of you anti-death penalty people probably wont be playing this game for more than a few months, so why do you care anyway?

And how did you arrive to this conclusion?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mickeyx wrote:

Isn't it obvious? :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am for a death penalty if things stay as they are... It's SO easy to stay alive.

My penalty idea? Respawn at Sol. No items lost.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mickeyx wrote:

People who enjoy easy-mode games usually don't play them for very long.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Death penalty: If you die, the 'bust' slider setting on all your female BO's gets set one click to the left.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    People who enjoy easy-mode games usually don't play them for very long.

And thats where you are wrong. You assume too much.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I vote no, increase difficulty, yes.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I was actually surprised (pleasantly) by the lack of a death penalty...however I can see the downside as well. If you need a DP how about the game saving quest content. I certainly don't want to HAVE to leave the zone, repair or whatnot only to come back and find I have to start the entire quest over again.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Certain group encounters should not allow "respawn"... instead when all in the team die, everyone restarts in sector space.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Agreed...I vote for a death penalty...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Loosing some credits/crew/equipment or going back to Sol won't really change a person's play style. If they feel that suicide to win is the best way to go then having a minor time sink won't matter at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Beat me, whip me, make me do naughty things!:p

Yes, we need some sort of death penalty. Some reason not to just charge in willy nilly and rely on respawn as our saving grace.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alex1939 wrote: »

I dont really enjoy being tortured for my mistakes. I guess some people enjoy being held to some grueling standard and then punished when they dont measure up but for me.....

The penality is loss of time. It is not much of a loss I grant you but it is enough for me to not want to die. That is all that is really necessary.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ah, death penalties. I remember them all so well...

The loss of hours worth of xp.
    The de-leveling and unable to wear your gear because you're no longer the appropriate level.
    The loss of random equipement.
    15 minute debuffs.
    Massive repair costs.
    Combination of all of the above.

Yeah, no thanks. I'll pass. I've suffered through all of the various DPs that have been thrown at me, and it's refreshing to not get horrifically hammered due to death. The brief wait time , minor energy debuff and mob reset is sufficient for me. No rage or frustration makes for a relax evening of fun.

If people want a harsher DP, why not just self-inflict? Come, step up. You're asking for a DP, set by example and start self inflicting.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm ok with a penalty, only if it is minor. Very minor. Otherwise no. Like lose 5% of your crew till you replenish at a star base. Or some Energy credit loss. something small.

I played EQ and did many a corpse run. It got old real quick and was VERY time consuming. that penalty sucked.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:

Erm, I have yet to play an MMO where you can lose.

Death Penalties are Time Sinks and used to add play time to game progression. With a death penalty, you either die and slow things down by having to re earn exp, re start a mission or quest, spend time going back to replenish your crew, or even just do less damage for a limited amount of time. Assuming you attempt not to die, you are in essence taking extra time to be careful, which also extends your play time and slows down the game.

No matter how you cut it, what you are asking for is to slow the game down and make it take longer to play through the content. If that really is what you want, then by all means I support your right to be able to want it. But let's just make sure we are talking about the same thing here.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I like it the way it is, don't change a thing.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No death penalty.

The pro death penalty people have many ways to impose a DP on themselves if they wish right now. The game doesn't have to do it for you.

However, if they put in an annoying DP, the rest of us are forced to deal with it, no way around.

So if you want a DP, delete an item, delete your character, delete your ship, do whatever you think is fair.

Don't force your frustrating DP on those of us happy with the way things are.