test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is your computer shuting down / Graphics card runnng HOT? [fix]

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Graphical and Sound Issues
This is just a brief answer to what I found to work and fix my problem.

Basically there are quite a few graphics cards that come out of the box overclocked. In my case I had a 4850 ATI card manufactured by ASUS. It is an excellent card but obviously not knowing it was OC'd was problematic.

As a review of the situation the conditions created by STO is basically such that the game will attempt to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the card to create the highest quality visual gaming experience. Thus if your card comes out of box overclocked this could and did for me cause a overheating issue.

So the fix is to go into your graphics card settings and reset your FSB GPU and Memory speeds such that you are no longer over clocked. To do this on an ATI card make sure you download the driver pack from the ATI/AMD website. Once you have done that you want to go to what I remember being called the Overdrive section of the drivers. Basically you will see the FSB GPU and Memory clock settings. You need to find out what the card is supposed to run at. But basically what I did was slide it down all the way to 500 and 700 for the FSB GPU and Memory which was the lowest setting. Instantly my video card cooled off and instead of running at 100-120C it is now running at 85C with the high visual settings in STO itself.

Additionally if you choose you may enable V-Sync in game. I don't think this is actually necessary once fixing the actual card settings but you might find it works better for some cases. I am going to turn off V-Sync when I get home tonight and see what sort of difference it makes on GPU heat.

Some side effects I have noticed. The game doesn't actually stutter as much as a result of running hot. Game experience seems to be smoother more consistantly. Thus it essentially fixed my problem and there is no real reason to be OC'd.

Good luck and I hope this helps all of you users out there that were having problems with your graphics related issues.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    As long as your card is under 75 Celsius you have nothing to worry about. All modern day cards are designed to operate at this temperature safely for extended periods of time.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for this non related tidbit

Instantly my video card cooled off and instead of running at 100-120C it is now running at 85C with the high visual settings in STO itself.

seeing as how the game was causing the video card to max out speed wise it was running at 100-120C which IS in fact a problem and would likely be the issue many others are experiencing as well.

Even your response is not helpful because ATI radeon 4850 are known for running hot and 85C is not unusual.

I just hope there are a few people that find this useful and gets them to be able to play w/o the GPU going into fail safe mode
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No drop in performance after lowering those settings for your 4850?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I dropped my 3870 from 850mhz to under 400mhz to keep it from crashing but I can still run it at max settings
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why in the world would anyone mess with their hardware settings because a piece of software misbehaves?
    I still believe that it is up to Cryptic to fix their code, I have most top end Games and none of them has to do this to my card.
    (BFG 285GTX OC). For the time being I use the /maxfps 30 command to keep my temps down in the low 70's)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why in the world would anyone mess with their hardware settings because a piece of software misbehaves?
    I still believe that it is up to Cryptic to fix their code, I have most top end Games and none of them has to do this to my card.
    (BFG 285GTX OC). For the time being I use the /maxfps 30 command to keep my temps down in the low 70's)

Messing with your Hardware settings isn't much of big deal these day's.
    The problem with this Gpu overheating is the problem of the Gpu NOT cryptic's engine.
    A gpu should be able to run 100% NON-STOP! they are tested in a lab for these events.
    If in any case your Gpu or Psu runs to hot it will shutdown.. but what does that mean?
    Its tested by the manufacturer so any heat problems is caused by bad airflow!
    I have a Hd4870X2 in my pc and yes its runs 100% in STO.
    Am i worried about this? No.
    Why? because i know if it overheats it will shutdown preventing any serious damage, but above all i have a great airflow.

So what with all the people saying there card gone bust because of STO?
    There card's probably already had some defects, stressing it for longer periods made these problems worse!

So please stop saying cryptic is to blame.. its not!
    A GPU should be able to handle 100% non-stop and if not it will shutdown!
    So if you encounter shutdowns try running stress test for your GPU(Don't forgot to stress every bit of your card), it will probably also shutdown!!!