test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Horizontal lines and tearing -- ATI Card

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Graphical and Sound Issues
Greetings,

For some reason, I am having a problem with horizontal lines while in game. Characters and ships have the worst of it. It only occurs when I zoom out. On the entry screen with the avatar, there are noticeable horizontal lines and the same thing happens at star bases. VSync is enabled (didn't help) and half-res is turned off (didn't help). All graphics are turned up to the highest settings possible except AA (which I set at 4X).

I have an ATI HD 5770 graphics card. Has anyone else had this problem and figured out how to correct it?

Thanks,
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    have you disabled dynamic lighting?

Failing that, you could try different drive versions, make sure your GPU isnt overheating, or contact your card manufacturer as it might need to be RMA'd
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Greetings,

For some reason, I am having a problem with horizontal lines while in game. Characters and ships have the worst of it. It only occurs when I zoom out. On the entry screen with the avatar, there are noticeable horizontal lines and the same thing happens at star bases. VSync is enabled (didn't help) and half-res is turned off (didn't help). All graphics are turned up to the highest settings possible except AA (which I set at 4X).

I have an ATI HD 5770 graphics card. Has anyone else had this problem and figured out how to correct it?

Thanks,

Its a known issue with the ATi 5xxx series cards. Something like 5% of all these cards are experiencing the issue. And its not just with Star Trek Online in many cases. ATi has released a hotfix for the 5800 cards, but are still working on a hotfix for the 5700 cards. Check and see if your having any issues with any other games. Some people have such an issue with these cards, that occassionally everything switches to greyscale. I'm running a pair of XFX 5770's and am glad I haven't had any issues with it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm gonna need to check that out aswell since I have a 5850, when I was playing in beta I wasn't getting this, and I just find it odd that it's happening all of a sudden. So far every other game hasn't had this problem for me at all =\
    Heres a link with a hotfix for 5800 series if anyone needs it.
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Grey-screen-and-vertical-line-corruptions.aspx
    Good news the patch works properly and the horizontal tearing is gone!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ok ide like to confirm that a few days ago my ATI 5750 worked smooth with STO i logged ontoday and for some reason i am having the same/simular issues, choppy horizontal lines through everything, around charecters, all over the enviroment, if this is a card issue, then why has it only just started to do this, and if its a STO issue, then doh >.> its impossible to play ive been on for 5 mins and the choppy lines are giving me the worst head ach.

EDIT: Just to make sure it wasnt a bug with the card and it needed patching or what not, i just loaded up a few other games and my card works fine with every other game, old games and next genl

This is indeed some issue with ether a recent patch or something they changed conflicting with ATI cards.
    The main reason im not too happy about this is that the games out of beta so what ever issues happen with the game are coming out of our pockets, we are now paying monthly so these kinda issues should be jumped on in the shortest amount of time - with the slight chance there still might be a way this isnt STO related then i apologise for my some what finger pointing, but ruleing out the fact the card runs fine and has been running fine since purchas and has only just been playing up with STO its not looking good Jim.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    sithmace wrote: »
    Ok ide like to confirm that a few days ago my ATI 5750 worked smooth with STO i logged ontoday and for some reason i am having the same/simular issues, choppy horizontal lines through everything, around charecters, all over the enviroment, if this is a card issue, then why has it only just started to do this, and if its a STO issue, then doh >.> its impossible to play ive been on for 5 mins and the choppy lines are giving me the worst head ach.

EDIT: Just to make sure it wasnt a bug with the card and it needed patching or what not, i just loaded up a few other games and my card works fine with every other game, old games and next genl

This is indeed some issue with ether a recent patch or something they changed conflicting with ATI cards.
    The main reason im not too happy about this is that the games out of beta so what ever issues happen with the game are coming out of our pockets, we are now paying monthly so these kinda issues should be jumped on in the shortest amount of time - with the slight chance there still might be a way this isnt STO related then i apologise for my some what finger pointing, but ruleing out the fact the card runs fine and has been running fine since purchas and has only just been playing up with STO its not looking good Jim.

Dude it isn't the game I patched up my card and since then STO didn't have that problem anymore :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Heres a link with a hotfix for 5800 series if anyone needs it.
    Yes thats for the 5800 series, are you suggesting my 5700 series just randomly thought after playing beta and head start fine that it would chock and fail on "only" STO? sry not trying to sound like an TRIBBLE but i have changed no settings what so ever and i come back home and boom its unplayable because of texture issues, if it was a problem with my card for one, it would be on multiple games, and if it was a setting ide changed then im sure the mutlple settings i tried to change to see if it was that would have effected it some how but it did not.

A temporery fix for this can be turning of AA full stop...