test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Devs are not to blame.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
No I am not defending the Devs as they are part of Cryptic. However I am blaming the "Brass" @ Cryptic. They are the ones that give the orders, they are the ones that set the deadlines (at least brow beat the employees with it) and or breath down the Devs collective necks.

Somehow I am of the line of thought that much of what we disagree with is because some head up his/her TRIBBLE Supervisor, Team lead/Manager doesn't either understand what it means to run a successful MMO and put it out there for the general populace to play. And or is to worried about getting the fat bonus check then the quality of the product, and the satisfaction of the customer base. At least more then basic thick headed, knuckle dragging, parents credit card using 12 year old.

I realize that none of the brass while post here and defend their role in this. I also realize that more then likely they don't read the forums as it would be beneath them to do so, if they are of the mentality I stated above.

So my statements go on as being baseless though anyone that has worked in pretty much any industry where a product was made. There is always something coming down the pike that has to be rushed out the door before its "finished" as though that know the product well would probably say other wise. All because of the monetary bottom line.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I really wish the ones that actually make the decisions would do a real time chat and actually be honest with us.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I blame global warming!

And sardines.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it.

FInd executive producer Craig Zinkievich's car.

Now flip it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ceilican wrote: »
    No I am not defending the Devs as they are part of Cryptic. However I am blaming the "Brass" @ Cryptic. They are the ones that give the orders, they are the ones that set the deadlines (at least brow beat the employees with it) and or breath down the Devs collective necks.

This is because the "brass" at Cryptic has to deal with the "brass" at Atari, who is publishing the game and, should the game not be released, the company Cryptic would owe a lot of money to.

I'm still quite shocked that more people don't realize that the development studio almost never has the final say on when a game is set to launch.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They really do need communicate better a dedicated community liasion would do alot to alleviate the rage.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Do we really want the Devs sitting around typing, answering every post in the forums instead of fixing the problems?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ull wrote:
    Do we really want the Devs sitting around typing, answering every post in the forums instead of fixing the problems?

I am not talking about the Dev's reference the title and subject of my post.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    warduke73 wrote: »
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it.

FInd executive producer Craig Zinkievich's car.

Now flip it.

Actually a well placed egg in the heating system would work wonders.

Not "cheap" to fix, would be a serious pain in the TRIBBLE to clean out. Not easily accessible.

Summer heat + rotten egg + in car AC = wonder odor

Winter cold = Heating in car + rotten egg = wonder odor

Plus side, no physical damage to the car. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Actually, the Devs ARE to blame, since they have failed to have the game in releasable condition when it was released.

But the managers who set the release date, when it was known in closed beta that it wasn't realistic, and who forced it to happen even after this was confirmed in open beta, are MORE to blame.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ull wrote:

Most companys hire community managers dedicated to relaying info to the masses.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They really should have someone manning the forums right now, handing out information and responding to threads. MMOs live and die by their communities, and they're not really taking care of this one currently.

Which is funny, because that wasn't my experience with City of Heroes at all...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ull wrote:

considering that one is doing a live stream atm. they seem to have plenty of time to answer a few questions on the boards..

live stream = http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/?p=1030
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In my opinion, the core of the problem that has caused STO to fail so dramatically thus far is just plain simple horrible team effort coordination.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Somehow I am of the line of thought that much of what we disagree with is because some head up his/her TRIBBLE Supervisor, Team lead/Manager doesn't either understand what it means to run a successful MMO and put it out there for the general populace to play. And or is to worried about getting the fat bonus check then the quality of the product, and the satisfaction of the customer base. At least more then basic thick headed, knuckle dragging, parents credit card using 12 year old.

I realize that none of the brass while post here and defend their role in this. I also realize that more then likely they don't read the forums as it would be beneath them to do so, if they are of the mentality I stated above.

So my statements go on as being baseless though anyone that has worked in pretty much any industry where a product was made. There is always something coming down the pike that has to be rushed out the door before its "finished" as though that know the product well would probably say other wise. All because of the monetary bottom line.

You mean Atari? :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This is because the "brass" at Cryptic has to deal with the "brass" at Atari, who is publishing the game and, should the game not be released, the company Cryptic would owe a lot of money to.

I'm still quite shocked that more people don't realize that the development studio almost never has the final say on when a game is set to launch.

I do realize that things are far more complicated then the most of the simple ones want to realize and or rant about.

Technically speaking Cryptic is the "middle" man of sorts though they are shouldering most of the work.

Its more about numbers then anything. Make something that has mass appeal, relatively easy to play and charge a monthly fee. Star Trek as a large following, however I am willing to bet that a good % of that crowd are not mindless easy spending fools that will blindly waste 15$ a month.

I honestly feel that Cryptic could have done more if they really wanted to make that statement to Atari, if they wanted to make an in-depth product and they wanted to appeal to probably a smaller but more intelligent body. Other then just the "pew pew pew pew pew pew" mentality.

Make a quality product and the money/customers will follow.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This is a very simple thing and I'll say it for everyone to hear:

Cryptic was rushed by Atari to get the game out on a timely schedule. They could have, however, pushed the date back, had it NOT been for the $20 million bonus they would receive if STO and CO launched on time and exceeded financial expectations. That being said, STO probably has and we have received nothing but empty promises while Cryptic waits for their check coming in 2011. This bonus they will receive is not a rumor. I have seen the documents and it explains pretty much everything.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    BS man this is totally unacceptable..... I'm holy TRIBBLE I expected more from this.... I mean .... it not like EVERY other Online RPG didn't have a rocky start ! with Glitches and crashes and down time ... oh wait ... most of them did ... nvm everybody false alarm my bad.... . get over it chumps be friggen patient, The games got problems it doesn't get fixed over night and they sure as hell aren't going to make everyone happy. These are the growing pains of a brand new game. Don't kill it before it's even out.....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    people seem to forget that Atari owns Cryptc and BTW they buy Blizzard three years ago. And look what they (atari) did to wow...

they about mony not making a good game. as much as the delvpers want to make a good game Atari wll not let them. and i fear that because of the problms we have seen so far, STO will fail. the game should be playable 2 days b4 launch...

not to mention the large amount of people who are canclin their Lifetimes and preorders, that is not good sign. word of mouth about how frustrated players are will kill the desier most people have about buying this game "ill wait a few months for it to get better" they will say and this is wrong anser. the game should be a "yes bye it now, but it have some problms" but this is not the case.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ryuoken wrote:
    people seem to forget that Atari owns Cryptc and BTW they buy Blizzard three years ago. And look what they (atari) did to wow...

they about mony not making a good game. as much as the delvpers want to make a good game Atari wll not let them. and i fear that because of the problms we have seen so far, STO will fail. the game should be playable 2 days b4 launch...

not to mention the large amount of people who are canclin their Lifetimes and preorders, that is not good sign. word of mouth about how frustrated players are will kill the desier most people have about buying this game "ill wait a few months for it to get better" they will say and this is wrong anser. the game should be a "yes bye it now, but it have some problms" but this is not the case.

Since when does Atari own Blizzard? I thought they were independent.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Strondbokken's explanation is the most likely and obvious explanation I've heard so far.

And it's indicative about what's wrong with the game industry a lot of the time also.

There are very few companies out there that won't bow to that kind of pressure, focusing on the long-term health of the product instead of the quick cash-out.

Which is a shame for us that love gaming.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ryuoken wrote:

This is what we call "making stuff up." Atari doesn't have anything to do with Blizzard. Blizzard was owned by Vivendi games, who merged with Activision and formed "Activision Blizzard."

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I do realize that things are far more complicated then the most of the simple ones want to realize and or rant about.

Technically speaking Cryptic is the "middle" man of sorts though they are shouldering most of the work.

Its more about numbers then anything. Make something that has mass appeal, relatively easy to play and charge a monthly fee. Star Trek as a large following, however I am willing to bet that a good % of that crowd are not mindless easy spending fools that will blindly waste 15$ a month.

I honestly feel that Cryptic could have done more if they really wanted to make that statement to Atari, if they wanted to make an in-depth product and they wanted to appeal to probably a smaller but more intelligent body. Other then just the "pew pew pew pew pew pew" mentality.

Make a quality product and the money/customers will follow.

I think the game is fine as-is (for a launch) and that Cryptic will work on more of the content that Trek fans want after the game is out and relatively stable. Just because people aren't getting it now doesn't mean they won't get it a few months from now.

Apart from that, I think ignoring the Trekkie crowd was the smartest decision Cryptic and Atari could have made. Looking back at the past fifteen years or so, if Cryptic and Atari had acquiesced to the Trekkies, it would have started a cycle where the devs would have had to more or less ask permission from the fanbase to do much of anything.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

He probably has them confused with Activision. Even then he's made a mistake as Activision didn't buy Blizzard. Instead it merged with Vivendi Games, which was the owner of Blizzard.

Edit: too slow :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010

my mistake, i confuse atari with Activison

:eek::eek:
This discussion has been closed.