test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Space combat too easy again

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I don't know what you guys have done between OB and now, but i've managed to get to lt lvl 7 without a tactical officer and without spending ANY boff skill points (saving them for rarer boff's) without any problems at all. Whats going on here? My shields rarely go down and I can tare through NPC shields. It's as bad as it was after the big patch in OB that made everything too easy
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    dev input would be good
    edited January 2010
    I would agree. From closed and OB it is way easier now.
    edited January 2010
    As I understand it thinks are pretty easy until you make Lt. Cmd. then the difficulty ramps up some. I’m holding judgment until I make Lt. Cmd. 5 or so.
    edited January 2010
    Yup. The only time I came close to blowing up was in a secure mission. 7 ships all focused on me and I had ONE other player backing me up. I got down to 10% hull but still managed to survive.
    edited January 2010
    It's not really fair to criticize the combat difficulty from playing to level 5.
    edited January 2010
    It's not really fair to criticize the combat difficulty from playing to level 5.

Why you always gotta ruin the fun with logic and facts hm? :|
    edited January 2010
    The rebalancing was only done for Lt. Cmdr upwards. They intentially left Ens and Lt. untouched. Its the stage where people are learning to ropes.

All MMOs are easier in the early levels. They are engineered that way, as to not drive people away.
    edited January 2010
    In the patch notes that increased the difficulty during OB they stated that the difficulty level had been increased for T2 plus and that T1 had been left the same. So level up and you will see an increase in difficulty.
    edited January 2010
    Oh good so its not just me that finds it alot easyer.
    edited January 2010
    i have to agree, at least the initial phase, I also have played through level 7, no tactical officer, missing tactical and engineering console, and not spending any BO points... and I have not had any problems. It seems odd.
    edited January 2010
    I played Open Beta as well. I have to completely agree that the space combat is way too easy. Last night a random dude and I took on a ton of ships. two Negvar @ 0, 3 battle cruisers and a half dozen bird of preys at -1. Yes we almost died but we didn't. In Open Beta we would have been destroyed for even thinking of engaging them at our rank of LT 5 and with only two Bridge officers. :rolleyes: <and that was a good thing to know you were not indestructible. ;)

I don't like the arcade style simplicity of this game as it is currently. Right now I don't have to think about what i'm doing just pew pew pew pew away.
    edited January 2010
    This actually makes sense, if you compare the idea with other MMO's.

Most MMO combat, etc, is usually fairly easy up to a certain point -- the early period is the "learning" period. At some point, it starts to ramp up and become much more challenging.

WoW is a very good example of this -- it is somewhat unusual to "die" in the early game.
    edited January 2010
    I'm waiting until the later levels before I start complaining. But so far it's pretty easy. I'm at level 6.
    edited January 2010
    Read your patch notes folks. The patch that ramped up the difficulty in OB didn't impact LT level combat, only LCDR and above. You were likely higher level by the time it hit, but I caught it in time for the transition and did see a difference once you hit the next level. I expect to see the same thing again once I hit lvl 14 or so since I suspect they left the mechanics for combat alone for release from the final open beta version.

Also, love it or hate it, MMOs typcially are built to keep the casual player happy since they are the ones paying most of the subs. No casual player wants to die 50x trying to finish a leveling quest. or have to have that perfect skill build to succeed. There will be hard challenging end game content for the hard core, but I honestly never expect to see too much of that leveling.

Wuff
    edited January 2010
    Well... it is kind of deceiving. I guess at T2 the same old ships you've been fighting just all of a sudden get harder... :rolleyes:

I'll just pretend i'm destroying the old Klingon ships that haven't been refitted yet. :p
    edited January 2010
    I rarely had difficulties during beta even when people were complaining about some things being too difficult. The game gets more challenging once you get to lt cmdr and romulan missions
    edited January 2010
    Wait till you hit Captain (31) and see if you feel the same way. Boarding parties coming at you, having to outfit for resistances, etc. It gets way harder.
    edited January 2010
    I agree, there needs to be some balancing that needs to be done. Dev's have already confirmed this is an issue though, so I wouldn't worry too much about this.
    edited January 2010
    I personaly don't have a problem with overly easy space game play if there are areas like fleets or other areas were you can get the challange your looking for. I think there just needs to be a "Hard Mode" like area for the hardcore gamer that takes the time to get to be a pro at the game.
This discussion has been closed.