test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

MMO Launches

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
OK, I'd just like to state to perhaps the younger crowd here, this is just par for the course.

I am not saying it's OK, or we should just accept these type of things in MMO launches, but it is the way it goes.

There are a lot of factors that go into a MMO instead of a single player game, alot of network code and all that geek talk that I know little about.

What I will say is this.

Ii've played a TRIBBLE load of MMO's too many, I rarely am able to stick with it more then a few months but I tend to enjoy the company of my fellow geeks and with that I give you the REAL crappy list of launches.

Anarchy Online...I couldn't play for an entire 3 months with out a crash every hour, oh by the way in the end it was my fav.

Star Wars Online, minus the fact that I cry still about the fam CU and NGE, the first week was hell, you couldn't even play(no one could) for the first 3 days.

UO... DL all the time the first YEAR!!

EQ- probably coined the phrase ROLLBACK, because every crash ROLLED your toon back a few levels.

So those are some of the "OLDER" games. How about "NEW".

EQII- I don't think they learned from EQ!!!! ROLL BACKS!

WOW - Hard to remember foks but THE MIGHTY WOW, had a lot of issues the first MONTH!!! Crashes, DL's, Quests not working and so on.

Age of Conan, The game wasn't even completed, GFX issues, CRASHES again, Quests not working.

Warhammer Online, Not getting rewards from PVE or RVR. Items not loading into your slots oh and guess what...CRASHES....

DarkFall - YOU couldn't even GET AN ACCOUNT to work even when you finally were able too create one. Also, skills would not increase on the right path, not many crashes however.

Fallen Earth - Just a MESS in general the first few days.

And so on and so forth foks. Again not saying it's fair or right, but it is the way of things..

Fire your Trollpedos!

EDITED due to TERRIBLE SPELLING!!!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Alot of the younger generation have missed the FUN we had. I still feel the pain of loosing all my work on my warden in EQ2, which i think is my worsest experience of a launch

People still do not believe that in early wow there was weekends where all NPC disappeared

I think in my own personal opinion this is so far the best Launch of an mmo, the graphical stability and increase is always a bonus. The only reason the issues are happening is the volume of user, which is a good sign for the future of the game
    edited January 2010
    vaidd wrote: »
    Alot of the younger generation have missed the FUN we had. I still feel the pain of loosing all my work on my warden in EQ2, which i think is my worsest experience of a launch

People still do not believe that in early wow there was weekends where all NPC disappeared

I think in my own personal opinion this is so far the best Launch of an mmo, the graphical stability and increase is always a bonus. The only reason the issues are happening is the volume of user, which is a good sign for the future of the game

THIS IS MY POINT!! :)
    edited January 2010
    Veritas23 wrote: »
    OK, I'd just like to state to perhaps the younger crowd here, this is just par for the course.

I am not saying it's OK, or we should just accept these type of things in MMO launches, but it is the way it goes.

There are a lot of factors that go into a MMO instead of a single player game, alot of network code and all that geek talk that I know little about.

What I will say is this.

Ii've played a TRIBBLE load of MMO's too many, I rarely am able to stick with it more then a few months but I tend to enjoy the company of my fellow geeks and with that I give you the REAL crappy list of launches.

Anarchy Online...I couldn't play for an entire 3 months with out a crash every hour, oh by the way in the end it was my fav.

Star Wars Online, minus the fact that I cry still about the fam CU and NGE, the first week was hell, you couldn't even play(no one could) for the first 3 days.

UO... DL all the time the first YEAR!!

EQ- probably coined the phrase ROLLBACK, because every crash ROLLED your toon back a few levels.

So those are some of the "OLDER" games. How about "NEW".

EQII- I don't think they learned from EQ!!!! ROLL BACKS!

WOW - Hard to remember foks but THE MIGHTY WOW, had a lot of issues the first MONTH!!! Crashes, DL's, Quests not working and so on.

Age of Conan, The game wasn't even completed, GFX issues, CRASHES again, Quests not working.

Warhammer Online, Not getting rewards from PVE or RVR. Items not loading into your slots oh and guess what...CRASHES....

DarkFall - YOU couldn't even GET AN ACCOUNT to work even when you finally were able too create one. Also, skills would not increase on the right path, not many crashes however.

Fallen Earth - Just a MESS in general the first few days.

And so on and so forth foks. Again not saying it's fair or right, but it is the way of things..

Fire your Trollpedos!

EDITED due to TERRIBLE SPELLING!!!

You didn't mention Aion, Aion's launch was MUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH smooooooooooooooooooooooother. Rico sauve style. There ended up being Queues, but the Login Server was ALWAYS fast, and the game was responsive. Operationally, Aion's launch smoked this launch all over the place. All the quests worked, **** seemed tested... Yea, way to totally skip the launch that kicked the TRIBBLE out of this one.

We should expect better. Anyone that's been around knows that 1 month of beta is like no where near enough.
    edited January 2010
    I dont realy remeber any huge problems on wow start or open beta...

Sure some pugs here and there but nothing major expect 3 hour ques for some servers and crashes.
    edited January 2010
    As far as I remember...

Jumpgate - Launched perfectly.

Lineage II - Launched perfectly.

DDO - Launched perfectly.

Not to mention, a host of F2P Asian grinders.
    edited January 2010
    Veritas23 wrote: »

Was a lot more than that.

Server Crashes every 5 minutes
    All servers full
    Client Crashes every 5 minutes
    Invincible NPCs
    Invisible Invincible NPCs
    Invisible Invincible NPCs with a aggro and attack radius of the Entire World Map
    NPCs flooding chat with "UNABLE TO FIND PATH"
    Quest Items not Spawning
    Quests not working

Also these werent just for head start either. These lasted well into 6+ Months. To this day, WoW is far from stable. Their "server maintenance" for patches is usually around 6+ hours which you then have to patch with a torrent client because Blizzard doesnt want to spend a little bit of their massive revenue on a HTTP server so instead you have to worry about hitting your bandwidth limit for the month and getting charged extra for it.
    edited January 2010
    You mentioned a lot of games in there.... that are now 5+ years old... by this day and age they should have caught on to what it takes to release a mmo. Should of seen this coming honestly no game gives lifetime subscriptions that plans to be online for more then a few years.. doesn't make any business sense.
    edited January 2010
    My big question is why game developers never seem to build on the experiences of the games that came before them? I like STO, but why are there the same problems at launch that every single other MMO has had in the past? Why does it seem like MMO companies never seem to get any better at it? Cryptic has launched other MMO's before, why is it that there is still rubberbanding, lag, disconnects, server crashes, etc... Content bugs I can understand, that gets worked out with time, but basic server stability...I would think after all the years since UO we would finally be seeing something different.
    edited January 2010
    Nashie wrote:
    As far as I remember...

Jumpgate - Launched perfectly.

Lineage II - Launched perfectly.

DDO - Launched perfectly.

Not to mention, a host of F2P Asian grinders.

F2P Asian Grinders are "flawless launches" because all you test in the EN betas are Translation Patches. You arent testing a brand new game. The game had multiple patches over a course of atleast a year.

Same was with Lineage 2. It wasnt a simultaneous release. It was a Translated Release of a later build.
    edited January 2010
    Thx U 4 Ur Imput.
    edited January 2010
    All true, but this is Cryptic's second time using the CO engine. They get a couple of oopsies as par for the course, but not much more. We're not even at release yet and the server crashed! My tolerance for unfinished games is about zero these days. Especially mediocre unfinished games.
    edited January 2010
    Tribu wrote: »
    I dont realy remeber any huge problems on wow start or open beta...

Sure some pugs here and there but nothing major expect 3 hour ques for some servers and crashes.

Some servers were shut down for 2 weeks ;( Our guild started on Malganis, but moved after blizzard shut it down for 1-2 week "maintenance". They suffered database isssues for a month, causing really bad lag.

WoW was sorted out within a month. However, you cant blame blizzard too much. Who knew 1 MILLION people would sub lol.
    edited January 2010
    Daireishi wrote:
    You didn't mention Aion, Aion's launch was MUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH smooooooooooooooooooooooother. Rico sauve style. There ended up being Queues, but the Login Server was ALWAYS fast, and the game was responsive. Operationally, Aion's launch smoked this launch all over the place. All the quests worked, **** seemed tested... Yea, way to totally skip the launch that kicked the TRIBBLE out of this one.

We should expect better. Anyone that's been around knows that 1 month of beta is like no where near enough.

You forgot to mention that Aion had already been out for a year in Korea before it got here. Of course the launch was smooth as they had plenty of time to work the kinks out.
    edited January 2010
    Daireishi wrote:

Sure, it launched smoothly, but there were up to 5 hour waits to get into the servers. I'd call that a failure, in its own right. The big issue they had were the AFK stores which kept the server loads from lowering and allowing waiting players a chance to get into the server. That's something they should have picked up on in beta and fixed. They didn't.

And it's easier keep a server from crashing when you cap it like that. You don't end up with loads exceeding the capacity limit of the server. But you do end up with people waiting to get in. It's a trade off.

And while Lineage II, DDO and Jumpgate may have been smoother launches, I doubt they had as many people trying to play. Plus, they were all pretty poor games. At least STO is fun to play. I won't repeat the point about translated releases, though.
    edited January 2010
    Daireishi wrote:

Well the game was out for a year, so I'd hope they would have the technical things ironed out when they released it here.
    edited January 2010
    and the point missed? this isnt the launch its head start, like the im gonna launch a class action' thread. You arnt paying to pay, you ordered early so they let you on their servers for free whie they fine tune em.... and in doing so the server is gonna crash and they are gonna do lots of bug fix and patching. Frankly I was impressed we got to play most of yesterday without a crash and am expecting more as we go on. As for some of the other posts, well I love coming on forums to read comments like Aion launch was good - shame the game sucked, and ft2 games that 3 people play didnt crash... erm... as for WoW, people saying that went smooth just were not there for the first 6 months, and it has been the same ever since, patch = 6 hours downtime, followed by post patch issues followed by minipatch to sort out patch issues, followed by QQ on forums about class balancing. Anybody remember when Hunters brought their pets back from ZG and poisnened the world?
This discussion has been closed.