test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Impatience?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I think the world has become far too impatient. There are threads now popping up on the forums with people saying that it's "inexcusable for the server to be down" and similar statements. Have you ever played another MMO at launch? They are very unstable. It takes a while to get all the bugs out. MMO's are something that evolve, not something that starts out perfect. What's the hurt in an hour of down time to fix the problem we've had all day with 2 minute load screens for every system? You'll end up with a lot more playtime if they fix it now than if they wait. So my advice to you is to learn some patience.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    People impatient at a MMO launch? Inconceivable!
    edited January 2010
    I don't think it would be near so bad if Cryptic had someone in charge of communicating what the current issues are, when the server is going down, how long it will be down, what they hope to accomplish with the downtime.

People get crabby when they feel left out of the loop. But this is my first MMO launch so I don't know how realistic good communication is. Sounds easy enough....
    edited January 2010
    I think impatient people at an MMO launch is just-desserts. :) Anyone's who's ever been at a launch knows they'll unexpectedly crash several times for the first few weeks. It's nature's way of laughing at how it can make impatient people crazy. :)
    edited January 2010
    Qoojo wrote:

May I use this as my sig? :)
    edited January 2010
    Its inexcusable to still suck Craptic's c ocks when you are paying for this now
    edited January 2010
    Vaughnn wrote:
    I don't think it would be near so bad if Cryptic had someone in charge of communicating what the current issues are, when the server is going down, how long it will be down, what they hope to accomplish with the downtime.

People get crabby when they feel left out of the loop. But this is my first MMO launch so I don't know how realistic good communication is. Sounds easy enough....

They actually just posted on the forums. There has been an issue all day with long load times for systems. They took the server down to fix it.
    edited January 2010
    Qoojo wrote:

I do not think that word means what you think it means!
    edited January 2010
    Well I have had the beta for a week and the headstart now and have accumulated 5 minutes of gamplay total.
    edited January 2010
    I have been waiting for this game for a long time now. I am happy with most of the work done on the game thus far, and I do realize that the creation of such a game is not easy. That being said I am very disappointed with Atari ((Cryptic is just a name now, its Atari calling the shots)). Atari want to enter the MMO field and make itself known. Well I must say they are doing a terrible job. I have seen next to none as far as advertising of STO!
    Its almost like there is an office weasel there telling the developers use what you have because you are not getting anymore, perhaps it is one of the three men who have been in charge over the last three years. I have seen strides here as far as customer service, but I grow concerned that it is lip service, as we cannot even get a heads up in game when they have to bring the server down.. I have decided that no matter how much I love Star Trek, that I will not give this game more then three months to demonstrate Atari cares. The reason I will give them three months is to give them the chance to do something, to try and live up to the potential of what this game could be. I hope that Atari gets its head out of the proverbial sand, and realizes that it may never get many of the players they are loosing now due to this incompetence, .

And to the CEO of Atari, Do us a favor, if you want to play with companies like Blizzard, them put some cash on the line. So far it seems you have already cut the cord on STO, and for myself Atari killing Star Trek will be remembered, and not forgotten. In short if this dies, all I will hope for is to see atari fade away as well.
    edited January 2010
    I played 14h streight yesterday and loved every minute of it, so its down for a bit so they can fix ****, it happens in all MMO's even ones that are out for years, so get a life.
    edited January 2010
    Well I have had the beta for a week and the headstart now and have accumulated 5 minutes of gamplay total.

Well that sucks for you. I have maybe 50 hours.
    edited January 2010
    There is much truth in this post.

If you're going to be impatient with an MMO, I reccomend you quit now, because you're in for a hell of a bloody bother over the next few months.

My suggestion?

Go pick up that archaic thing on your shelf called a book and read through down times. It goes by in a flash.

I swear.
    edited January 2010
    edited January 2010
    It’s not about patience, but about conducting a business and money issues.

We are paying lots of $$$ for playing this game + investing lots of gametime into it.
    Plus , we all know that MMO’s start out pretty bad, with lots of bugs, latency issues , stability and so on.
    So why do we have to finance Cryptic STO issues ??
    They should start to charge us only after all issues are gone !!

If we keep thinking like you , this is never going to happen , and the DEVS will keep TRIBBLE us , until most of the issues are gone.
    edited January 2010

If you're going to be impatient with an MMO, I reccomend you quit now, because you're in for a hell of a bloody bother over the next few months.

My suggestion?

Go pick up that archaic thing on your shelf called a book and read through down times. It goes by in a flash.

I swear.

That is good advice. That's how I wiled away the wait time for downloading the client before beta.
    edited January 2010
    Jesus69 wrote:

We are paying lots of $$$ for playing this game + investing lots of gametime into it.
    Plus , we all know that MMO’s start out pretty bad, with lots of bugs, latency issues , stability and so on.

If we keep thinking like you , this is never going to happen , and the DEVS will keep TRIBBLE us , until most of the issues are gone.

hahahah then give up on gaming now, cause you have no real concept of what mmos are soooo much *****in for nothin
    edited January 2010
    Well that sucks for you. I have maybe 50 hours.

Well maybe this will help you realize that not everybody is in your situation and there is a whole swath of people in mine.
    edited January 2010
    Jesus69 wrote:

Hard to take you seriously when your post title is "rapists" and your forum name is "Jesus69" lol
    edited January 2010
    Jesus69 wrote:

Technically, you're not paying to play this game yet. This is headstart, it's a preorder incentive, you won't be paying to play this game until Tuesday.
    edited January 2010
    I think the world has become far too impatient. There are threads now popping up on the forums with people saying that it's "inexcusable for the server to be down" and similar statements. Have you ever played another MMO at launch? They are very unstable. It takes a while to get all the bugs out. MMO's are something that evolve, not something that starts out perfect. What's the hurt in an hour of down time to fix the problem we've had all day with 2 minute load screens for every system? You'll end up with a lot more playtime if they fix it now than if they wait. So my advice to you is to learn some patience.

If people did not do this the gaming companies would be even worse than they are now. A company as a general rule will try and do as little work as possible(work as in paychecks). If no one complained then they would think that everything was good and next MMO company would say "Well I can go cheaper on TRIBBLE and get away with it" So even though you might not like the posts they do serve a purpose in the big picture of things.
    edited January 2010

My suggestion?

I swear.

Your logic in this statement is horrid.

You are paying Cryptic to make this game better, and to fix the bugs. Without your money, the game will never reach its end point.

Shut up and be bloody patient.
    edited January 2010
    MrMasaki wrote: »
    "I don't think that word means what you think it means"

Finally :D
    edited January 2010
    Qoojo wrote:

"I don't think that word means what you think it means"
    edited January 2010
    Well maybe this will help you realize that not everybody is in your situation and there is a whole swath of people in mine.

Wasn't trying to be mean by saying that. I was literally stating that I am sorry you have those problems. However, you didn't state why you haven't played. So why haven't you?
    edited January 2010
    Wasn't trying to be mean by saying that. I was literally stating that I am sorry you have those problems. However, you didn't state why you haven't played. So why haven't you?

Because of all the connection issues.......It isnt from lack of trying.
    edited January 2010
    Tysis wrote:
    I do not think that word means what you think it means!

If I had read further down than the original statement I would'nt have had to betray my love for that movie on a forum. yes I'm a little emarassed that I like that movie.
    edited January 2010
    I can deal with bugs and i can deal with unexpected crashes...but what i cannot deal with is the server stabilty feeling exactly the same as it did at the end of OB...what did we wait 3 days for? a char wipe? I thought perhaps they was moving it to a dedicated server in those 3 days..but what i see is a game that cant stay up at all.. there is no reason for the server to have the same crappy stability it had during beta considering this is launch and PAID time we are on now.

If I ever manage to see this server go a full 24 hours without a crash I will believe we have launched and its just bug fixes now, until then I consider this a paid beta and I didnt agree to pay to beta anything.
    edited January 2010
    Not just impatient, but they expect perfection. Heck, I decided long ago I wouldn't demand perfection from anyone or anything until I acheived it myself first. <looks in mirror> Nope. Not quite there yet.

I can understand frustration. I want to play the game to. But to throw the temper tantrums some of them are throwing? It's enough to make me wonder about the human race, ya know?

However, what IS funny is watching the haters rush to the forum to crow triumphantly about how the game sucks because it crashed...26+ hours after coming on line <LOL>. I remember when DAoC came online...I was the 14th person on the server. It musta crashed a half dozen times just that day. That game crashed so often they handed out free time to the players. Maybe that's why I'm copacetic about it...I've been forged in the fires of MMO crashdom <LOL>.
    edited January 2010
    Qoojo wrote:
    Hard to take you seriously when your post title is "rapists" and your forum name is "Jesus69" lol

in his defense it could be Jesus69 as in the latino verson, said hey-zuse...otherwise someone is thinking highly of themselves
    edited January 2010
    Kassidus wrote: »
    I played 14h streight yesterday and loved every minute of it, so its down for a bit so they can fix ****, it happens in all MMO's even ones that are out for years, so get a life.

LMFAO, get a life? 14 hours eh?
This discussion has been closed.