test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unexpected Downtime (January 30, 2010)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Any ETA on the servers coming back up? It would be great to be able to plan one's afternoon/evening. Thanks much! :cool:
    edited January 2010
    Whats also strange about the servers being down is that the actual website is slower too.

This is most likely because everyone tries to use to the forum at the same time to investigate why the server isn't working.
    edited January 2010
    DeadWabbit wrote: »
    Actually I am not trying to imply that people can moan about ridiculous down times, I am flat out saying it. And I could give two s*#$'s if you run a gaming comunity, the fact is these down times are an indication of a problem that should not be occuring 2 days before launch. People are not complaining at this point because they have nothing better to do, people are complaing because they paid for a service the are not getting.

Please refrain from posting absolutly TRIBBLE comments on the forums if you dont mind.

Most folks havnt payed yet, unless your one of the Lifers or yearers. In either case, the game is doing fine, a hell of alot better then most.
    The problem is you and every other jackass that is complaining are spoiled rotten by your childishly stupid 'fast food' mentality. These things take time, something you dont seem to comprehend.
    edited January 2010
    I found a wonderful news article that reminded a little of things here and now with STO (and this one is for all you WoW fans that scream about how much better that is than STO:
    "Being a system administrator myself, I have some understanding of what goes on in a corporate data center," said Evgeny Krevets, a sometimes-frustrated WoW player. "I don't know Blizzard's system setup. What I do know is that if I kept performing 'urgent maintenance' and taking the service down without warning for eight-hour periods, I would be out of a job."

http://news.cnet.com/World-of-Warcraft-battles-server-problems/2100-1043_3-6063990.html

the article is from 2006...and yet that game continues on. Guess all MMO's face problems in the early days but if they work on them, they can be fixed and the game stay around....
    edited January 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    Rember this is one of the SMOOTHEST launches in MMO history. Yes the game has in game bugs, but I'm talking about PURE uptime.

Wow, EQ1, EQ2, AION, SWG (all the giants and more). Usually crashed 1-5Xs in a 24 hrs period for 1-3 WEEKS after launch. Eq1 and Wow were pretty much UNPLAYABLE for a week. Eq2 barely playable for a week. AION had 2-14hr login queues depending on the server you were on with 5000-40000ms ping and constantly crashed

ONE schedule mait since lunch, ONE quickie lil crash, and ONE BIG crash since launch is NOTHING LOL. We're just lucky it's not crashing every 1-2 hrs :)

;)

Amen. Every large MMO has had crashes at the start. Even the small ones like Earth and Beyond did, it's just something that those of us who have been playing these games for a long period expect, it's going to happen. God I remember AION at launch, hell I even remember EQ1 at launch and how terrible it was. Lets not even go there with WoW. So Eve online didn't have as many problems as some other mmo's, good for them, get over it.
    edited January 2010
    I didn't experience any video glitches on any of my systems. That covers Nvidea 8800, 9800 and 240GTX.

I know what happened.... I had my Nvidia driver set to multiple-screen optimization instead of single-screen.

My what a difference that makes. Yikes.
    edited January 2010
    Come on, who honestly expected to be in on the first week, heck first month of an MMO and there to be no problems?
    edited January 2010
    Angrahl wrote:
    Let's have a look at the server logfiles:

11:54PM WARNING: Too many players in admirals office, kicked 3 per instance
    11:57PM WARNING: Object "sulu" too many concurrent requests
    11:58PM WARNING: Chat queue overflow, errorcode 'whereissulu'
    12:00PM CRITICAL: Object "sulu" found by 50000 players, overheating
    12:01PM ERROR: Object "sulu" crashed in instance 1-17,23, 25-99
    12:01PM SHUTDOWN: Unrecoverable from last error (hint: hide sulu in a better place in next patch)

OK, I think we found the cause of the crash. Preparing a patch now.

*applause*
    edited January 2010
    Error quote wrong so deleted
    edited January 2010
    Angrahl wrote:
    Let's have a look at the server logfiles:

11:54PM WARNING: Too many players in admirals office, kicked 3 per instance
    11:57PM WARNING: Object "sulu" too many concurrent requests
    11:58PM WARNING: Chat queue overflow, errorcode 'whereissulu'
    12:00PM CRITICAL: Object "sulu" found by 50000 players, overheating
    12:01PM ERROR: Object "sulu" crashed in instance 1-17,23, 25-99
    12:01PM SHUTDOWN: Unrecoverable from last error (hint: hide sulu in a better place in next patch)

OK, I think we found the cause of the crash. Preparing a patch now.

Sulu just couldn't take it anymore.
    edited January 2010
    Another update would be nice.
    edited January 2010
    This is for all of the complainers around here...

One of you name ONE SINGLE MMORPG that did NOT go down AT ALL during the first week. Name ONE.
    edited January 2010
    Wonder if this means theyre doing a patch rather than just a restart; cus thats what it looks like given the time thats passed. Either that or they're removing/replacing a bad server in the cluster thats pulling down all the others.
    edited January 2010
    Are there tepid battles?

There used to be. At one timein Europe armies would march and counter march for position and if one force clearly had the upper hand, it's commander would demand a surrender, wihich was usually given if it allowed the loser to quit the feild largely intact.

Napoleon pretty much put an end to that era, in Europe. He preferred to destroy opposing forces' ability to fight. I'm sure that isn't the only example in history, though. War has long been about securing territory. You don't have to kill to command the battlefeild, when the threat of killing will do.

Additionally, there are examples from almost every modern war where battles bogged down, especially in WWI where the fighting would stalemate for weeks between opposed entrenchments, with each side occassionally taking shots at the other, but nothing much happening, and not too much risk of getting hurt if one kept one's head down.

See also: The 2004 U.S. Presidential Election.
    edited January 2010
    man at least i have time to watch star trek deepthroat nine;-)
    edited January 2010
    splang wrote: »
    SERVERs UP!!!

not

people like this tend to get banned on other games....
    hint hint...
    cryptic...
    edited January 2010
    people like this tend to get banned on other games....
    hint hint...
    cryptic...

You all need to get a life..I know you all would rather exist in this make-believe universe than face your own boring lives.
    edited January 2010
    When its my money and I have to take time to go out and buy the game, invest my time in a game. So when I right expression my opinion..deal with it. When you kiss the dev's asses it only make you look like a trekkie fanboy brown noser. FYI..you dont get anything extra for taking up for them or telling people to stop crying. Thats what beta is for, to test server loads, and quit talking about WoW, SWG and EQ they are over 5 years old and havent sever tech advanced alot in the last 5-10 years.

When this game is a big TRIBBLE like SWG is, you will know why, because no one told them to fix it and expected it as is. Hell no fix it and have a good MMO to be proud of...not this.

Also I wrote a ticket about fleet permissions being broke. They told me its all working an intended and that they can not help, ask other players or go to the forums???? WTF???
    But one good thing came out of this..cryptic saved me $260 on a lifetime sub...
    edited January 2010
    Tlion wrote:
    What is ironic is everyone complaining about not buying something that doesnt crash often and isnt reliable yet we all run a unreliable crashing OS from Microsoft. And lets not forget it crashes alot the first few weeks of comsumer release(aka paid Beta).

My Windows 7 doesn't crash. Check your computer.
    edited January 2010
    this thread is an avalanche of nerd rage
    edited January 2010
    Any game in its first days of release will be treated by its fan base as if the world is going to end in less than 24 hours.

Any large scale game like this has teething troubles, even with all the testing in the world. It's an MMO, you're in it for the long haul - relax a bit and wait it out :)
    edited January 2010
    khamseen wrote: »
    I understand the meaning of the word moaning just fine. And comments like "I think I'm just going to cancel my order" or "your cutting into my head start time" is moaning.

I too am a paying customer, a lifetime subscriber to be exact, so don't try to imply that they can moan because they pay, when I pay too.

I happen to run a gaming community, also several game servers for different games including MMO and RP servers so I understand that these things happen and just how little motivation there is to fix these problems when all you get is complaints from people who have nothing better to do in their day.

Also, there is no need to capitalise words as I can read them just fine with the rest of your post thank you.

If you'd care to continue the conversation I'd be happy to oblige in private messaging.

Umm keeping things running the way they are supposed to should have nothing to do with how you feel or if people are big meanies to you. It's a service you provide to customers and frankly the customers couldm't care less if you have a happy time providing them with what they are paying for.

You consider people on your servers "complainers with nothing better to do" ?? wow I'm amazed anyone puts up with you.
    edited January 2010
    I don't think that Cryptic software is responsible for the current outage. In this instance, it was an internet outage that borked everything. I'm sure they are doing everything possible to bring it back up to feed our addictions. Me? I'm using this time to eat a sandwich.

Feeding a different addiction? :D
    edited January 2010
    Damn, pages are adding to this thread like wildfires in California! They just keep going, I can't keep up!
    edited January 2010
    To all those mimimi people:

1.) I´ve played so many headstarts and i honestly have to say, that Cryptic gives A LOT of information in a very short time. I´ve had server crashes with other games where the developers did not mention it with a single word for HOURS....it took Cryptic only 20 minutes, it´s even in german in my launcher, and that surprises me a lot.
    And what do you people expect? That they instantly know what the problem is, when the server ****s up?
    Do YOU know what the problem is, when your Windows is freezing from one to the other moment and your computer is restarting?
    Think > speak.
    And seriously, show me ONE game which had not to deal with unexpected downtimes around the launch date.

2.) Unexpected downtime does not mean "oh we didn´t know it would go down", it means it was not scheduled. I believe that Cryptic recognized the downgoing performance during the last hours.
    If somebody now says "ok, if it´ not fixing itself until 12:00 o´clock, we´ll shut the server down"....than this is not a scheduled downtime, so it is unexpected.

3.) To the people who say "i want to play for what i pay": Read the EULA. You AGREE that Cryptic cannot be held responsible or get charged for technical issue downtimes.

4.) To the people whose head start time gets "stolen": If you complain about THAT, you are a nerd and will play 24/7 anyways. So don´t mind the short downtime, crawl out of your hole and get some sun :)

I´m surely not a Cryptic "Fanboy" and i´m ****ed by the downtime as much as everyone else....but the brainshi... of some people here is unbelievable....
    edited January 2010
    Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu? Where's Sulu?
    edited January 2010
    Hani_Obaid wrote:
    I beg to differ head start is not only a launch, it's the VIP launch since we had to pay extra for the privilege. I understand the down-time, and as long as it's back in an hour, it's normal once a day or so, but what is unforgivable is that they decided not to include our bonuses in the head start. I feel completely cheated, backstabbed, maligned, betrayed, and TRIBBLE!

Oh My Fracking gawd Dude!!!!!

Chill-OUT what a FREAK! first off, none of us "paid extra" if ya bought the pre-order for 5bucks you'll get 5bucks off the purchase of the game. Secondly, if you feel so horrible because of the things you mentioned, well you need some seriously intensive psychotherapy because that is just WAAAAAYYYYY over the line.

i mean "wow" , really?
    edited January 2010
    I really should be doing LSAT prep anyway, but this game is like crack.
    edited January 2010
    Well they BETTER* provide status updates-

WoW provides hourly updates- and STOcost more a month than WoW does..

So long as it goes back up eventually-
    edited January 2010
    Tlion wrote:
    What is ironic is everyone complaining about not buying something that doesnt crash often and isnt reliable yet we all run a unreliable crashing OS from Microsoft. And lets not forget it crashes alot the first few weeks of comsumer release(aka paid Beta).

Yeah, the poorly written third party driver out of Korea for a four year old webcam never has anything to do with it.
This discussion has been closed.