test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A warning to Steam Users!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
A big warning to steam users, don't run / launch the game through steam just yet. And turn off automatic updates for the game (Right click on game name > Properties > Updates), although steam seemed to ignore this for me. You should be able to launch the game by running the launcher directly, I don't think that it, or any other part of the client, is using steam protection.

My observations tell me that the cryptic patcher deploys the 800mb Open Beta > Head Start patch perfectly fine, however the steam servers appear behind the times and still have the older files on them. Steam sees that the checksum of the patched files is incorrect, and helpfully deletes everything and attempts to download a 10gb "update".

I really can't afford 10GB of bandwidth again, we have a 60GB cap in a rolling 30 day period - so I've already used a sixth of my total nabbing the client the first time :(.Thankfully I also ordered a retail copy from Amazon.co.uk. I'll miss out on the Head Start - but at least my ISP will not be writing me a rude email and slowing my connection down to 56k speeds for a week . The main reason I bought the digital copy was the head start (and also the possibility of the lifetime subscription ;)).

Oh well! At least I have my lifetime subscription as well as all the fancy stuff that the digital copy enables. And the head start gives Cyptic another few days to (hopefully) get the account server and everything working smoothly for the retail launch. Thank you, you lovely head start guinea pigs <3
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Yup, this is deleting the game for all steam users then reloading the whole 10gb again - was estimating over 15 hours for me !
    Luckily I realised I had the beta cleint install on a usb key from about 2 weeks ago from fileplanet - uninstalled the steam version - loaded it up and am now patching about 800mb - slow but, a lot better than 10gb.
    In theory i could patch that over to steam directory , but i think i'll leave it as it is - if i turns out we need anew key from steam once the game gets past headstart I'll let steam run on my laptop to get it.
    Could we get an upfront warning for Steam users someplace prominent please ? - and if Cryptic has contacts at steam get them to do likewise (won't let me post this "fix" or indeed anything on their forums right now :mad: )
    Oh and pretty please maybe a few alternate mirrors for folk to download the latest client - would take a big strain of the servers for you.
  • Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Heh, the painful thing is that I was this close to downloading the beta client via the torrent as I had to stagger the download over a number of days anyway and using rtorrent for that would be have been a lot easier then steam. But then I realised that I needed to at least *start* the download via steam to get my keys, and once I'd started I thought I may as well use steam for it all. Big mistake eh? :p

Good luck with the patching Dugaldmcranald. And have fun playing everyone! I want plenty of posts on how awesome everything is, so I'm a twitching salivating wreck by Tuesday (or possibly Friday, good ol Amazon :rolleyes:).
This discussion has been closed.