test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CRITICAL: No-Notice Downtime

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Some may disagree... and I know this is a Beta level game right now... but this close to launch something should really be put into place to WARN people about the server going down.

I can understand if it is a server crash and there is no notice. Got it. But if this is the Devs or whatever doing changes and such, please give us some notice. It will allow us to finish up what we are doing instead of disconnecting us right in the middle of say a battle or something.

Hopefully something like this is put into place by launch, because there is nothing more annoying to a player than to FINALLY get to the end of a long mission, only for the server to go down for "maintainance" without notice.

Anyone agree?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Can really give a notice if the server crashes. :/
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A warning system is all well and good but when someone trips over a power strip in the server room there really isn't time for a warning message now is there?

"Warning, Joe Cryptic is about to trip on the server power strip, we will be able to reboot the servers in one hour. Please log out and save any current data. We apologize for this inconvenience. CrypticStaffMemberX"

Somehow I don't see it happening the way you imagine.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think you missed the point where I stated that a server crash is understandable... but if it comes down for another reason, such as maintenance or whatever, then a notice would be fine.

Reading is fun-de-ment-al.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think you missed the point where I stated that a server crash is understandable... but if it comes down for another reason, such as maintenance or whatever, then a notice would be fine.

Reading is fun-de-ment-al.

They have given notice when they were bringing the servers down. They didnt this time, probably becuase it was a crash.

But way to freak out...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Some may disagree... and I know this is a Beta level game right now... but this close to launch something should really be put into place to WARN people about the server going down.

I can understand if it is a server crash and there is no notice. Got it. But if this is the Devs or whatever doing changes and such, please give us some notice. It will allow us to finish up what we are doing instead of disconnecting us right in the middle of say a battle or something.

Hopefully something like this is put into place by launch, because there is nothing more annoying to a player than to FINALLY get to the end of a long mission, only for the server to go down for "maintainance" without notice.

Anyone agree?

WARNING:

SERVERS WILL BE GOING DOWN SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE.

/END
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    lol, BETA!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've gotten notice (on-screen flash and entry on all my chat tabs) several times when they intentionally take the server down for maintenance or patching etc. Usually 10-15 mins worth, with a countdown. In this case, and several recent ones, the server crashed, simple as that. Just because it says "Server Status: Undergoing Maintenance" doesn't mean it was scheduled.

- Dahakra
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rojon wrote: »
    WARNING:

SERVERS WILL BE GOING DOWN SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE.

/END

I LOLd. Now if only my users at work would understand this simple concept. :p

P