test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

setup problems

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I downloaded the beta client from fileplanet (subscriber) last night and woke up thismorning excited to play. Oh how very very stupid of me. I should have known that the cosmos weren't alligning correctly. It was going a little too smoothly. The download was complete on my desktop. I open the file, and clicked on the setup file. A quick flash from a command prompt screen (about 1/2 a sec) and climactically! Nothing happend, nothing, nada, zip. I stared at the desktop for about 5 minutes hoping that magically something would just..... happen. Nothing.

Any idears? or should I just wait another day and try the download again?

p.s. Why does this kind of stuff always seem to happen when a game comes out that you really like.

also, sorry for the long post, you either get this, or just me typing every curse word i know, in every language known to man, especially Klingon.

***EDIT***
Sorry about that, I am running Windows Vista 32, 4 gigs of ram, Intel core 2 duo 2.5, 8600 512mb.

I have already tried running the setup file in compatibility mode and as admin. (both by themselves and together.) I didn't see any other information in that post that applied to me. (could always be wrong.)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The download was complete on my desktop. I open the file, and clicked on the setup file. A quick flash from a command prompt screen (about 1/2 a sec) and climactically! Nothing happend, nothing, nada, zip. I stared at the desktop for about 5 minutes hoping that magically something would just..... happen. Nothing.

Did you try the suggestions in this thread: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=57331

Please give us all the details of what you did, what OS, if it was just the downloader/installer you're running or some other full download where you're launcher the installer. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sorry about that, I am running Windows Vista 32, 4 gigs of ram, Intel core 2 duo 2.5, 8600 512mb.

I have already tried running the setup file in compatibility mode and as admin. (both by themselves and together.) I didn't see any other information in that post that applied to me. (could always be wrong.)

I added this to the original post so new people could see it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I added this to the original post so new people could see it.

The only admin/compatibility thing I'd do is right click on the installer and choose "Run as administrator". But it sounds like you already did that.

Is this just the small downloader/launcher file? Or is this the full installer where you downloaded bin/cab files as well?

If it's just the smaller downloader/launcher, download it again, this time directly from Cryptic's site (on their open beta announcement news entry). You could have a corrupted file.

Also do a CTRL-ALT-DEL and open your task manager. Is the executable still running and listed under the processes tab?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ok,

the folder i downloaded is 7.65 gb
    the folder has 4 files total here are there names:
    directx
    Dlm CompressionData
    piggs
    setup

when i click on the setup file it doesn't appear to be running in the processes window.

Any other ideas, I really hope i'm doing something stupid and don't have to re download.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Some people have reported that it helps to shut down the download manager, delete setup.exe, and then fire it back up. It should only re-download that one small file. The FP downloader seems to just periodically be corrupting files \o/
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ok,

the folder i downloaded is 7.65 gb
    the folder has 4 files total here are there names:
    directx
    Dlm CompressionData
    piggs
    setup

when i click on the setup file it doesn't appear to be running in the processes window.

Any other ideas, I really hope i'm doing something stupid and don't have to re download.

Did you right click on the setup file and choose "run as administrator"?

If that isn't working, you either have a corrupted file or something more serious on your PC or install of Windows.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    since this is a brand new install of windows, I would be pretty worried if there was a problem with it. So lets just rule that one out for now.

Yes I have run it as admin.

I am wondering, since I was stupid enough to hit the little X button on the download manager. How/where I can download just the setup file again. Since it appears that might be the problem here.

We are getting close, I can smell it. Smells good.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wrote:
    since this is a brand new install of windows, I would be pretty worried if there was a problem with it. So lets just rule that one out for now.

Yes I have run it as admin.

I am wondering, since I was stupid enough to hit the little X button on the download manager. How/where I can download just the setup file again. Since it appears that might be the problem here.

We are getting close, I can smell it. Smells good.
    If you have a torrent client (uTorrent, Vuze, etc) you can download just that file via BT.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    how do i go about doing that? sorry i'm a little bit slow when it comes to torrents.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    nevermind, i figured it out. I will let you guys know if it works.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    holy TRIBBLE, it worked, the game is installing right now. thanks a bunch guys. A+++ for the support.