test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Antivirus though found virus

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
For the info, I think it is not, Here is the info

After downloading the Beta open client and install I restarted my PC (Was upgrading my video drivers) An this pop up as I was loading back into windows.

SONAR detect a possible threat named CrypticErrer.exe, was able to remove so no action needed.

I look into details and it came from the STO install folder, I am going with a hunch that the Exe is actual the bug report thing. Was wondering how important this program is to the over all beta game. Here is more infor on my Antivirus.

Norton Internet Security 2010 with up to date definations, has firewall and a program called SONAR which predicts if a file might be a virus/trojin.

Though I let you know sense this is Beta and do not know if anyone else might run into this, thanks if you reply.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    SONAR is notorious for false-positives. It works by seeing how many other times it has seen that file on other computers. For new things like a game that release quickly, it tends to get grumpy.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    SONAR is notorious for false-positives. It works by seeing how many other times it has seen that file on other computers. For new things like a game that release quickly, it tends to get grumpy.

would we encounter any problems if it auto removes/ dumps it in quarantine ? whatever the crypticerror.exe is
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, i'm not sure... did you misspel this CrypticErrer.exe??? Or is That what it said. It's supposed to be CrypticError.exe.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Both Norton and now AVG have turned into bloatware eating memory and causing too many alarms.. IMHO..
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    clstreak wrote: »
    Both Norton and now AVG have turned into bloatware eating memory and causing too many alarms.. IMHO..

Malwarebytes should be a necessity IMHO for someone using a computer. NOD32 and AVG free edition are also really good pieces of software. Everyone has their own opinions though, but everyone should really have malwarebytes.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I hate Norton, it's an awful computer TRIBBLE program :mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have been running Avast ans Spybot and to lesser extent win defender since i cant uninstall the dang thing.. and i have only gotten 1 repeat 1 piece of spyware in 2 years.. No single virus has made it close to my machine. of course they have to get threw hardware firewall first then rest..
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    tedgp123 wrote: »
    Malwarebytes should be a necessity IMHO for someone using a computer. NOD32 and AVG free edition are also really good pieces of software. Everyone has their own opinions though, but everyone should really have malwarebytes.

/agree... only 2 things you need (well 3)
    1. Microsoft updates
    2. Malwarebyte's
    3. Hijack This.

Router firewall/windows firewalls help also.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

AVG was great but now you have to pay for it not to be bloat ware is all i was complaining about.. if you buy it theres is a big difference in the amount of resources it takes up.. is all im saying..
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    AVG has gone downhill some in the past year or so.

Your best current "free" antivirus is prolly Avast IMO.
    As for the other scanners listed I mostly agree with maly and hijack.
    Best defense is a good offense and PCs are no difference. Starts with a good browser, patches, and some common fricking sense.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DaWookie wrote: »

Best defense is a good offense and PCs are no difference. Starts with a good browser, patches, and some common fricking sense.

Unfortunately what, to you and I, is common sense, is black magic to most users. There is so much info on this wonderful thing called the internet this day and age, yet some people don't even know how to use a simple search in forums.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DaWookie wrote: »

I have been a user of AVG for many years. Started with Free and then moved on to full internet security. Version 8 was a pretty cool version but the new version 9 is a nightmare regards its firewall.

I have never had any problems while using AVG. No virus as ever got into my system. The ID protection with the paid version is first class.

I agree that MalwareBytes is fantastic. Theres also 2 sites here that can help with scanning individual files. These sites scan your selected file with every major and some minor AVs and so on.

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en-GB

http://www.virustotal.com/

Threatfire also can be handy cause it masks all keystrokes at the Kernal level which is pretty handy to stop keyloggers.

A-Squared is another handy one and I also use this site to check if my programs have any vulnerabilities.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/

A few other handy programs. Use google.

Spywareblaster - Stops malicious sites before they even have chance to load in your browser by blocking there IP addresses.

Spybot Seek and Destroy - Malware scanner

Update Checker from Filehippo.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    NOD32, best antivirus ever.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    NOD32, best antivirus ever.

Is there a NOD64?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    NathanK wrote:
    would we encounter any problems if it auto removes/ dumps it in quarantine ? whatever the crypticerror.exe is

CrypticError is, if I remember, the error-reporting process that gathers info and transmits it to Cryptic if your application crashes.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Even Window's defender is sending reports to Microsoft to check out that game download may have some bad code in it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I upgraded to the latest Norton .. big mistake. I can tell they have just grossly overloaded what they were doing. Ugh.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I have to agree with this statement.

Best Paid: NOD32
    Best Free: MSE

MSE actually has a better detection rate then AVG if you get over the fact its made by Microsoft.