test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Vista/Win 7 users

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Some people might have issues with STO if they choose to install in a location other than the one recommended by the Cryptic Installer.

If you do have issues go into the install location of STO, open theCryptic Studios folder, then open the test file named "Error". If there are any errors about being able to write to a game file (see attachment), then you can correct his by telling Windows to run STO under Administrative priveledges.

To do this right click on the STO Application (Star Trek Online), open up the properties and then click on the Compatability tab. At the botton click the check box that says "Run this program as an administrator".

Then open the folder named Star Trek Online, then Live. Find the file named Game Client and do the same thing for that file as you did for the other one.

This will allow STO to write information to the program files. I was having issues in Beta and noticed that I was getting these write errors at the same time I was getting client crashes. Some research led me to this information about not installing in default folders and such.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Specifically if you install in Program Files, yes. We highly recommend not installing in one of those folders, almost anywhere else is preferable.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Good to know, thanks guys.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you have permissions set up properly (or if you have installed something like - ergh - warcraft!) I find the best place to put MMO games that need updates is

/Users/Public/Games

Tends to work fine in there!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Pfft, I just disabled UAC altogether on my Vista PC.

But we won't have any trouble if it goes to the recommended spot right?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    proudnerd wrote: »
    Pfft, I just disabled UAC altogether on my Vista PC.

But we won't have any trouble if it goes to the recommended spot right?

Thats honestly not a good idea, unless your looking for a virus or some other form of computer destruction. You should just turn UAC back on, and then right click the launcher or the shortcut and go to the compatibility tab then check the box that says run as administrator.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    Specifically if you install in Program Files, yes. We highly recommend not installing in one of those folders, almost anywhere else is preferable.

coderanger, my old friend! Great to see you're on STO as well. I missed you after I didn't subscribe to CO. Still having patcher problems? :confused:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Warcorer wrote: »
    Thats honestly not a good idea, unless your looking for a virus or some other form of computer destruction. You should just turn UAC back on, and then right click the launcher or the shortcut and go to the compatibility tab then check the box that says run as administrator.

ROFL. It may be a bad idea if you're an idiot, or if you aren't running any virus software. In all other cases, it makes Vista about a thousand times more user friendly.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My problem is setup.exe give compatibilty error. Have seen multiple possible solutions, but none have worked for me. Win 7 x64. Cryptic, please advise, I'm trying my third dl form different sites. 3.0ghz, 4mb ram, dula 8800gt's SLI. All drivers updated. Tried different compatibility modes. Run under admin.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I use windows 7 x64 and i downloaded from the torrent, and the official downloader just in case, and i didnt have any setup.exe issues. I know thats probably not much help, but i didnt need to change compatibility at all, and i was logged in with the admin account, i didnt use run as adminstrator.

Did you download with the official downloader or did you use torrents? torrents can be corrupted

you may also want to look at thread http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=56364 K1rk has a solution that should work.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Delete the files, restore them right away.

Sounds wired, I know. But that worked for me. Found out by accident ;-)