test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

very weird

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
so i downloaded sto installed fine and done. tried to find the installer now to back it up after people with all the re downloads.

so i tried to find the installer for star trek. its in my downloads folder. its a directory. click it. i see a folder called directx, piggs and a setup.exe that is 2megs in size. nothing else.

i cant even find where star trek online installed to in my computer lol.

wtf did D2D do with the files it downloaded after I installed? and where is the installation?

edit: found it in public> games> cryptic studios > star trek online > live> piggs> and all the files named hogg.

so it would appear that the installer moves all the files over to there from where it was downloaded and didn't really 'install' as we know it.

so people who patched on sunday by accident and tried to 'reinstall' said they onl had 108mb after install because the game couldnt reinstall because it had just moved everything you downloaded.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I believe the default path is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\ or C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios\
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    apparently not, see edit . lol
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    installation folder is at

C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online.exe

if you want to find the download location, search for the extension .hogg

those are the unpackers & large in size

edit; ok i see ur edit, NM :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Qualifried wrote:
    installation folder is at

C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online.exe

if you want to find the download location, search for the extension .hogg

those are the unpackers & large in size

Oh thats right, I forgot I changed it manually.. It must have saved on the installer =/
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i found the download folder.

i can open it directly by using the download client from d2d.

except all the .hogg files are missing from the pigs folder. :)

weird still.

when it installed should it have unpacked the hogg?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cruis.In wrote: »
    i found the download folder.

i can open it directly by using the download client from d2d.

except all the .hogg files are missing from the pigs folder. :)

weird still.

when it installed should it have unpacked the hogg?
    Wait for the new version of the D2D STO download that will allow you to make a backup using that. Thanks to coderanger :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    this is the one i downloaded 2 days ago. i never did the bad patch thing on sunday.

you saying we've uncovered something wrong with it? welp i miss open beta. no way i can download 7.xx gigs again in one day.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Theres nothing really wrong with it, its just having a few issues that are plaguing some people who use the installer and others who are working out fine.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    k so if sto is installed correctly, i can open the star trek.exe right? which i can, and i try to log in and see the server is offline. i see the news about open beta.

but tell me, is there a folder you can browse for the installation which shows game files other than .hogg?

if so ill know mine isnt installed correct.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cruis.In wrote: »
    k so if sto is installed correctly, i can open the star trek.exe right? which i can, and i try to log in and see the server is offline. i see the news about open beta.

but tell me, is there a folder you can browse for the installation which shows game files other than .hogg?

if so ill know mine isnt installed correct.

I believe thats it for the game files, they're just highly compressed.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    k i put everything back into the folder that was created when i was downloading.

then clicked on setup.exe chose english and a directory. and it installed the directx thing, then right after that it went to 100% and exited. i checked and all the hogg files are now in program files> cryptic studios > star trek online > live > piggs> hogg files

so i ran it again, everything is fine, doesnt say it wants to patch, was even working fine how i had it before, but no idea why it installed where it did, possibly the default directory was under my aaron/public because thats where it downloaded and i had not exited the downloader? who knows..

but its all packed as it should be and in program files and launches fine, no errors. suspect ill be good and no more qqing.