test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Major pc issue, so unimpressed!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
HEY guys,

Ok, I am rocking an HP Pavilion dv7. Isnt quite a year old. The other day I turned on my computer and nothing is working. Flash is gone, No downloads work, sounds dosent work, IE explorer wont launch, computer games wont launch, xfire, gsa, team speak, nothing works :(. All I can get to launch is my 64bit browser. Now I am afraid I have either a) deleted something important while cleaning up my files, or b) contracted some sort of virus. I am also getting windows errors left and right. I have windows Vista, should I just get someone to delete my hard drive and install windows seven? Or is there some way i can actualy fix this? ]

ps. disc's dont load, and nothing will download/ install// :(

any help is wicked!

signed,
Cliff
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    how do i go about doing a system restore?
    edited January 2010
    Use a system restore point and if all else fails FDisk and reinstall.
    edited January 2010
    If it isn't a year old yet, it should still be under warranty. So HP should be able to help if you call them. Although I'm not sure how competent their customer service is, as I have never called them.
    edited January 2010
    how do i do a system restore
    ?
    edited January 2010
    Honestly there is no way to know for sure what happened. First try using a restore point from a time when everything worked. Unless you deactivated the feature, this should be an option. If that's not an option, use your windows disc (or diagnostic partition if HP has one... I know dell's do) and do a system repair. Basically it'll go through and replace any missing OS files needed for operation.
    If that still doesn't work, start in safe mode and see if anything works at all (launching apps that is). If you've tried everything above and then are still unable to get things to work in safe mode, just say TRIBBLE it, format the drive and reinstall Vista.

If you HAVE to reinstall though, might as well go to 7.
    If you go to 7, do yourself a big favor and stop by http://www.sevenforums.com/ for some help setting up.
    It took me a couple weeks to get things optimized as much as I have them (disabled services, registry edits, third party apps to replace default ones, etc). The tutorials and what not on that site will get your OS running circles around everyone else. My boot time is <15sec, and shutdown <3sec. Vista can't do that. Well... neither can 7 by default.
    edited January 2010
    how would a guy go about doing a system restore?

Go to Control Panel, then click System. On the left should be a button called System Protection. Click that and in the middle of the screen there should be a System Restore button.

Disclaimer: Friendly advice only.
    edited January 2010
    how would a guy go about doing a system restore?
    edited January 2010
    the only restore point i can find is from todaay.. is there a way to retrieve other restore points?
    edited January 2010
    Sounds pretty suspicious to me, like perhaps you have a virus. You'll have to either have it professionally checked, perhaps at a Staples or by HP. Or if you can download anti-virus software to scan your computer yourself.
    edited January 2010
    since no one has answered this for you i will

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!! this WILL delete everything you have on your computer and reset it to as if you had just pulled it out of the box and turned it on for the first time.

restart your computer, as the computer starts up you will see a splash screen with the HP logo etc, at the bottom left of the screen on that splash it will tell you the button you need to press in order to start the system restore. usually it is one of the following F10 F11 or F12. F11 is most common. if you do not see it on the splash screen just press F11 , and if that does not work restart again and press F10 instead. either way once the restore has been triggered the screen will tell you as much and give you a list of options.

it may present you with an option to reinstall the os while saving your old data. if you are sure this is not the work of a virus you can go with that option however be forwarned. the old data may not be where it was origionally and programs, such as this game, will still have to be reinstalled, but anything like pictures should be safe. if you believe this is a virus go with the full restore option, which will warn you that all data will be lost.
    edited January 2010
    the only restore point i can find is from todaay.. is there a way to retrieve other restore points?

Every restore point available should be listed. It's entirely possible you only have the one.
    Next step is to use your install disc (or whatever you have that has the vista install data on it) and use that to repair the OS. With the windows disc for instance it gives you the option between a new install, or a repair install. You want to choose repair.
    This will TRIBBLE up some of your settings and preferences in windows, but should get things working again.

I know, all of this is a pain in the butt. The question you have to ask yourself is how much do you want to keep the data on your hard drive? I know on my XP system that stuff is super important (I have a lot of video and audio editing software, using a lot of plugins and custom settings that won't be easy to reinstall), so formatting and doing a fresh install is NOT an option. My Win7 machine is just for gaming though, and while it was a pain to setup, there is nothing on it I'm afraid to lose, so I'd format in a heartbeat if needed.

Side note: if it is a virus (doubtful, as Defender should have noticed anything TRIBBLE with system files) try to get a browser to launch and go to http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html and run the online scan. It'll so a basic scan and let you know what's there.
    edited January 2010
    DaedalEVE wrote: »
    Every restore point available should be listed. It's entirely possible you only have the one.
    Next step is to use your install disc (or whatever you have that has the vista install data on it) and use that to repair the OS. With the windows disc for instance it gives you the option between a new install, or a repair install. You want to choose repair.
    This will TRIBBLE up some of your settings and preferences in windows, but should get things working again.

I know, all of this is a pain in the butt. The question you have to ask yourself is how much do you want to keep the data on your hard drive? I know on my XP system that stuff is super important (I have a lot of video and audio editing software, using a lot of pluging and custom settings that won't be easy to reinstall), so formatting and doing a fresh install is NOT an option. My Win7 machine is just for gaming though, and while it was a pain to setup, there is nothing on it I'm afraid to lose, so I'd format in a heartbeat if needed.

The restore method I mentioned has the same effect as the restore discs as it is the same data either way. HP forces you to make the discs normally, however, as of late they do not warn you on the computer that you must make these discs so you may not have them. My method has the same effect and, unless you deleted their restore partition, you are gauranteed to have my method to use. i would recommend, once you have this issue resolved, make the restore discs on DVD if you have not yet done so. to do this, in Vista, from the start menu type in the search "recovery" and the option for HP's recovery disc creator should pop up select it and follow the instructions.

so you know, and to help boost your confidence with my advice. I am Microsoft certified, and i used to work for the PC technicians based out of circuit city, i often restored HP computers and thus know the proceedures well.