test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Two clients on the same pc?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hello,

Is it possible to have two clients installed on the same pc?
I have the CB ready to go OB, and am downloading the Steam client as we speak.

I do not want to delete the CB client before I'll know for sure what is the Steam download, but I'm afraid having two installations will somehow TRIBBLE with the files/registry entries.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I think it might be possible, I don't see why not, the installer doesn't actually seem to do anything to the registry other than add shortcuts and where the application data goes.

...This forum requires that you wait 45 seconds between posts. Please try again in 13 seconds. Khaaaaan!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Any official reply?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Once the Steam install completes, it will overwrite the old reg entires. Nothing will break, but your old files will orphaned so make sure you clean them up yourself.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just started the download so far that it gave me the key, stopped the load and registered the key, and bam. Closed beta client patched up is what I use. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you had the CB client Cryptic said you can patch it up to the retail version, I'm not going to bother reloading the game from steam once i pay for the pre order. The only reason im going steam or Digital is to get the keys / activation. I did the same with the last two beta's I was in.. =)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The catch with Steam is, they don't give the key until you start the download.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    would there be a way to transfer over the closed beta to the steam location and make steam verify the game and think its downloaded?

The files would be the same right, and after the root/base directory its all the same.

I cant afford to download it on steam till my cap is reset.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You can purchase from steam, get the key and then just use the CB patched client to OB without using steam. Just use your login info and bobs ur uncle. No need to go thru steam just because you bought from there.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    1st off anyone who knows a bit about steam fileing system is that they dont put stuff in the normal way we are use to. so there for it will NOT update old files and it will a completly new install of the game in a different file and there for take up another base of 8GB til you update once your updated it will move up to almost 12GBs of extra wasted space. I know this for a fact 1 I have and use steam for some games and 2 I have looked to see where steam places there stuff.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I actually ran into a problem with having the closed / open beta client installed and then installing the steam beta. After steam finished installing it's STO beta, I tried getting rid of the one in the Cryptic Program Files Folder (renamed to be safe, then tried running the steam STO client). This made it think that I needed to re-download all 10GB. I put the Cryptic STO folder back and the Steam STO app stopped complaining. Now there were 2 installs, with duplicate .hogg files. I ended up using the Steam "Backup Game Files" on the Steam install of STO, then uninstalling the Cryptic install, then reinstalling the Steam version from the backup. That seems to have done the trick.