test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Steam preorders. how does it work.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I preordered the game from Steam the other day and I have no clue how to access my key or get my key.

never preordered a mmo from steam before.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Steam should have the client download setup shortly, and you will recieve the key when the client download is activated as with normal Steam games.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    whats an estimated time for GMT my i ask
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Not sure yet, they are still deploying the client build across their network.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Looks like its ready for DL.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Looks like its ready for DL.

yup it is. awesome. 10 GB.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yep, just got confirmation from Valve. Go go go.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Coderanger;

I preordered from Steam and I am also a closed beta tester... if I give my Steam key to a friend to try it out with me, do I lose anything from my preorder? Don't know if you can answer, but I appreciate any help.

Thanks a bunch.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    FYI - if you don't see it, restart Steam and it should start downloading and prompt you to enter your key. It will pre-fill the form for you from the link within Steam here on the STO site - if you have NoScript (Firefox addon) or JavaScript disabled it may interfere with it, but you can always right-click the entry in your Steam games list and hit 'View Game CD Key', and copy it to clipboard to paste in manually from there.

From the main STO site and account info, my account now shows 'Star Trek Online - Preorder' under Activated Features - I believe this is correct for the Open Beta tomorrow (yay!).

One question I'm sure has come up multiple times though is if we'll get the retail keys in time for the Head Start, so we can start the Joined Trill character and get our bonuses, etc., or if they will be released only on the 'proper' start date? Considering the keys must have been generated for the boxed retail copies, it should be possible to get those to Valve and to us digital download users in tiem, right? It's not a dealbreaker type issue as it's only two days, but it would be nice if it went that smoothly. :)

Thanks to the the dev team and everyone who was in the closed beta for your work so far, and I hope the Open Beta is productive in squashing the last chunk of any remaining ones before launch - I know I'll do my best to help!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wrote:
    Coderanger;

I preordered from Steam and I am also a closed beta tester... if I give my Steam key to a friend to try it out with me, do I lose anything from my preorder? Don't know if you can answer, but I appreciate any help.

Thanks a bunch.
    Sharing keys is in violation of our term of service and is grounds for account termination.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok thank you!