test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

THE FALL OF THE OLD ONES!

baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,733 Community Moderator
edited November 2023 in Galactic News Network [PC]
The Halloween Event returns next week on all platforms!

https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11555583
GrWzQke.png
Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
----> Contact Customer Support <----
Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    edited October 2023
    The lifeform favors the candle owner and tries to protect the holder.
    *leans forwards with Gowron eyes*

Favor and protect how?
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    Sub Rosa? Seriously? They're referencing that episode?! I... have no words for this.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,303 Arc User
    Two suggestions, given that there's nothing new this year:
    • Add "Hearts and Minds" as an Event option for 1 point of progress;
    • Add Episode "What Lies Beneath" as an Event option for 2 points of progress.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,858 Arc User
    > @inferiority said:
    > Two suggestions, given that there's nothing new this year:* Add "Hearts and Minds" as an Event option for 1 point of progress;
    > * Add Episode "What Lies Beneath" as an Event option for 2 points of progress.

I support these suggestions.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    edited October 2023

The item in action.

Boooooooo! I was expecting something kinky.
    #TASforSTO
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    This news leaves me feeling... touched
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,432 Community Moderator
    Huh... I almost expected it to be a Tribble buff type thing.
    Interesting.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • highlandrisehighlandrise Member Posts: 354 Arc User
    edited October 2023
    (Ranting comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • highlandrisehighlandrise Member Posts: 354 Arc User
    edited October 2023
    (Discussion of moderation, ranting comments, circumvention of ban. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • mariqa#4594 mariqa Member Posts: 111 Arc User

The item in action.

Boooooooo! I was expecting something kinky.

Wonder what happens if yo have eitehr of the Crusher BOFFs active?
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,757 Arc User
    Now the question is whether it is a single-shot-per-activation power like a kit or another combat pet (but with a slightly more defensive role in this case) like most summoning devices in the game.
  • roninwolf1981#2968 roninwolf1981 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    I noticed that there is no Hearts and Minds in the Event window. Does that mean that there will be no more Hearts and Minds?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,432 Community Moderator
    I noticed that there is no Hearts and Minds in the Event window. Does that mean that there will be no more Hearts and Minds?

Hearts and Minds traditionally comes up on Halloween itself, and Friday the 13th.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • roninwolf1981#2968 roninwolf1981 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Hearts and Minds traditionally comes up on Halloween itself, and Friday the 13th.

That's strange, because last year, Hearts and Minds was available all throughout the event.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 5,051 Arc User
    I doubt anyone has mentioned this, so I feel I should.

Cat's tale and the ground patrol has the best ASMR in the game. The sounds you hear when opening those heavy doors is simply amazing.

We need it as a sound track. I've got helmsmen and first officers, I don't need to be awake while I'm in the captain's chair! :)
  • exiledhermit#3227 exiledhermit Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I particularly enjoy the Cat's Tale library section since paying attention pays off with shelving the books in the correct area. I wish STO had more of this type of non pew pew critical thinking problems with solutions.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,757 Arc User
    edited October 2023
    I particularly enjoy the Cat's Tale library section since paying attention pays off with shelving the books in the correct area. I wish STO had more of this type of non pew pew critical thinking problems with solutions.

They did have them at one time, but they pulled most of them to "revamp" (which usually seems to involve taking out that kind of puzzle and replacing it with the annoying wave-matching minigames, or just leaving it in limbo forever) or shuffled them off to the ironically named 'available' tab like Spectres (Spectres was one of the best of the oldschool investigative arcs that had those plot-based puzzles that actually made sense in the context of the story, and probably the only one left that actually feels anything like TOS once you get out of the old AoY arc).

Nowadays the fashion runs to quicker, zero-thought, themepark-ride style missions where the guest NPC leads the players on a mostly passive tour broken up by bouts of mass combat.
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
    We still have the Competitive TFOs, but honestly I've been burned in a couple of those multiple times. I love a good puzzle as much as the next person.

Also I would like to point out that the most recent Episode does have a puzzle in it that doesn't involve a minigame.
    Also I would like to point out that the most recent Episode does have a puzzle in it that doesn't involve a minigame.
    There is?
    (and please, don't tell me you're considering the power pipe section a "puzzle")
    #TASforSTO
    (and please, don't tell me you're considering the power pipe section a "puzzle")

That's what I was referring to. As basic as it is, it is a puzzle that isn't a minigame interface.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,230 Arc User
    There is?
    Given the amount of players that seem to struggle with putting the right book in the right place it is a puzzle apparently. Sometimes I dread ending up in that book section. Personally I find it the worst section of the three.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 5,051 Arc User
    edited October 2023
    The first time, when they mentioned a bridge and those power things, I thought they meant that you had to form a bridge out of them.
    So I kept lowering them, hoping that you could jump on them and then walk over them somehow. Not unlike how we used some of the Vaadwaur hardware in Dust to Dust.

In my defence dough, I is not native speaker.

So it's not that I was too dumb to get it. ;)
    Ok, maybe I was.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,733 Community Moderator
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    There is?
    Given the amount of players that seem to struggle with putting the right book in the right place it is a puzzle apparently. Sometimes I dread ending up in that book section. Personally I find it the worst section of the three.

I can do the Library puzzle room. I don't like getting it, because, of the 3 puzzle rooms, it's the only one without a black cat. I prefer getting one of the rooms with one, because I can't count on the other players trying to find them.
    GrWzQke.png
    After you kill the witches you end up in 1 of 3 rooms. This is clearly not random. Has anyone worked out the rules on what puts you in each room? Anyone confirmed what it is?

For example Spiders-Books-Alchemy Rooms
    I would get 0-2-14 having never seen the spider room.

Other player in local chat are talking about never having seen the Alchemy room getting.
    14-2-0

I have also never had a 2nd person in the Alchemy room with me. Its always 2 people in spiders, 2 in books, 1 in Alchemny every single run every year.
    edited October 2023
    The library puzzle is astonishingly easy to do, it's finding the books that's often the problem.
    Finding the book can be a pain because the yellow interact glow is too much like the candles and lamp around the room.
    Once you find the book, the Librarian drops a massive hint on where it should be shelved!
    I have also never had a 2nd person in the Alchemy room with me. Its always 2 people in spiders, 2 in books, 1 in Alchemny every single run every year.
    It's almost as if the Alchemy room has been designed for just 1 player...
    </sarcasm>
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    edited October 2023
    The library puzzle is astonishingly easy to do, it's finding the books that's often the problem.
    Finding the book can be a pain because the yellow interact glow is too much like the candles and lamp around the room.
    Once you find the book, the Librarian drops a massive hint on where it should be shelved!
    It's almost as if the Alchemy room has been designed for just 1 player...
    </sarcasm>
    It could well be but that doesn't explain why I am seeing the Alchemy room 90% of the time and the spider room 0% in two years. Plus if its 4 people over the other two rooms and 1 person for the Alchemy room the chances of that happening are effectively zero. The alchemy room if its limited to 1 person should be the rarest room to see yet I will get it a dozen times in a row. Which is why I don't think its random but based on some sort of player action.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,733 Community Moderator
    I've been in all 3 rooms. The rarest one for me is the spider room. I've yet to figure out if there is a determining factor for which room one goes to, or if there even is one and it is truly random selection.
    GrWzQke.png
  • ian#9987 ian Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    The most painful event of the year... and you have to do it twice. Add a space option next year please (if you're still around).
    ian#9987 wrote: »
    The most painful event of the year... and you have to do it twice.
    Eh? Why do you need to do it twice?
    The TFO counts for 2. The patrols count for 1 each. So you can get a full day's credit from a single TFO run.
This discussion has been closed.