test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A 5/3 Romulan Miracle Worker

jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
So it's been 4 years since the Gagarin hit STO and Romulans only have 4/4 MW cruisers, and big slow turning boats at that.

Any possible chance at some point in the next I dunno 5 years we can actually see a 5/3 MW warbird with decent turn? Or is it just ruled out and Rom boats can't get MW with 5/3?

Would also like to bring up that Singularity cores are still terrible, and Romulan cruisers lack cruiser commands.. but perhaps just keeping it about getting a decent MW ship would be in order
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,147 Community Moderator
    Well... technically speaking Romulans don't have cruisers. They're all Warbirds. And I believe the singularity powers are supposed to offset the overall lower power output of Singularity Cores.

    However that is not to say I wouldn't mind seeing the Romulans get a bit more love.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,619 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... technically speaking Romulans don't have cruisers. They're all Warbirds. And I believe the singularity powers are supposed to offset the overall lower power output of Singularity Cores.

    However that is not to say I wouldn't mind seeing the Romulans get a bit more love.

    "Warbird" is just a catchall for Romulan warships because of the paint job, what is now called the T'liss was identified as a "Romulan light cruiser" in the original script (not the dialog, the descriptions imbedded in the script), so technically they do have cruisers even though they are generally slightly smaller and more cramped inside than the ones fielded by the Federation and the Klingons.

    True, the singularity powers are great if you know when and how to use them, even if they are not meta for the DPS record chasers.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    A MW Warbird with 5/3 weapon slots would be appreciated. A question, though. How many 5/3 Rom ships are already ingame? I use the Rom Temporal Warbird because I like it. It has 5/3 weapon slots. I think the Mogai does as well. The Gagarin is available through the unlock, isn't it? Although showing some love to the Rommies and the Klinks is waaay over due.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited February 2023
    > @thunderfoot#5163 said:
    > A MW Warbird with 5/3 weapon slots would be appreciated. A question, though. How many 5/3 Rom ships are already ingame? I use the Rom Temporal Warbird because I like it. It has 5/3 weapon slots. I think the Mogai does as well. The Gagarin is available through the unlock, isn't it? Although showing some love to the Rommies and the Klinks is waaay over due.

    As far as I can recall the kholar temporal warbird is the only 5/3 in the romulan lineup outside the scimitars. The morrigu is a 4/3.

    And any fed ship can be flown sure but that's besides the point. All federation ships could be replaced by Babylon 5 ships but I don't think many players would like that :)
  • Options
    jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:

    > True, the singularity powers are great if you know when and how to use them, even if they are not meta for the DPS record chasers.

    I disagree the sing powers are not worth being down 40 power vs a warp core ship on top of draining themselves on use.

    It's such a performance drop flying romulan vessels
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,619 Arc User
    jagdtier44 wrote: »
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:

    > True, the singularity powers are great if you know when and how to use them, even if they are not meta for the DPS record chasers.

    I disagree the sing powers are not worth being down 40 power vs a warp core ship on top of draining themselves on use.

    It's such a performance drop flying romulan vessels

    The reduction in raw energy level is balanced by other things if you build with it in mind so it really is not a handicap, it is just a different style. And part of the style is the antithesis of the usual meta one of triggering powers as often as possible since you need to keep the singularity charge reserve high for the benefits it provides but have the option to flush it for escapes or other tactical needs, so players thinking like they would for other factions often hate it.

    Romulan ships are more like submarines than surface ships (which makes sense since that is what they were originally based on.
    In missions and other solo scenarios they can be played to advantage that way, but power creep makes it difficult to use the cloak that way in TFOs because the other players mow down the enemy so quickly. It is one of the tactical complications that happen when playing Romulans compared to the other factions and adapting to the needs of the style is part of the fun and challenge.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    jagdtier44 wrote: »
    As far as I can recall the Kholar Temporal Warbird is the only 5/3 in the Romulan lineup outside the Scimitars. The Morrigu is a 4/3.

    Any Fed ship can be flown sure, but that's beside the point. All Federation ships could be replaced by Babylon 5 ships but I don't think many players would like that :)

    As I said, both Klingon and Romulans are waay overdue. The Gagarin has things beside a 5/3 weapons layout to offer. And we already have Babylon 5 ships ingame. The Vorgon Carrier. The Aelahl Light Warbird. That new abomination, the Compiler. "When a V'Ger and a Battlecrab love each other very, very much..." XD

    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,405 Arc User
    edited February 2023
    To be honest i feel that the 5/3 ships are a one trick pony and rather boring so whatever appeal they have for some is completely lost on me.

    Then combined with MW which is supposed to be a generalist/engineering focused (mostly) vessel for said offensive 5/3 layout on a ship type which is balanced with a lower energy output...

    You sir must be a dancer because you are moving all over the place.

    Sarcasm aside i would personally be fine if ships with a 5/3 no longer appear.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,188 Arc User
    jagdtier44 wrote: »
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:

    > True, the singularity powers are great if you know when and how to use them, even if they are not meta for the DPS record chasers.

    I disagree the sing powers are not worth being down 40 power vs a warp core ship on top of draining themselves on use.

    It's such a performance drop flying romulan vessels
    Unless your playing a pet based Carrier in which case its a major performance gain against other races pet based Carriers. Romulan's have the strongest pets in game and Singularity gives Temp HP which triggers Interference Drones for more damage. My Romulan carrier is a power house compared to any none Romulan carrier when looking at pet damage.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,626 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    To be honest i feel that the 5/3 ships are a one trick pony and rather boring so whatever appeal they have for some is completely lost on me.

    Then combined with MW which is supposed to be a generalist/engineering focused (mostly) vessel for said offensive 5/3 layout on a ship type which is balanced with a lower energy output...

    You sir must be a dancer because you are moving all over the place.

    Sarcasm aside i would personally be fine if ships with a 5/3 no longer appear.

    the appeal is 2 omnis and torpedo, and not having a regular beam array back there
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,405 Arc User
    edited February 2023
    questerius wrote: »
    To be honest i feel that the 5/3 ships are a one trick pony and rather boring so whatever appeal they have for some is completely lost on me.

    Then combined with MW which is supposed to be a generalist/engineering focused (mostly) vessel for said offensive 5/3 layout on a ship type which is balanced with a lower energy output...

    You sir must be a dancer because you are moving all over the place.

    Sarcasm aside i would personally be fine if ships with a 5/3 no longer appear.

    the appeal is 2 omnis and torpedo, and not having a regular beam array back there

    The omni meta has long been left behind, why cling onto such a dated setup.
    Unless you are flying a brick with the handbrake on there is nothing an omni can do which cannot be done better with a beam array.

    Edit: i like using single cannons in thematic builds, but I'm not asking for specific ship setups so they can shine.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,147 Community Moderator
    Probably maximize forward firepower or something with beams.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,405 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Probably maximize forward firepower or something with beams.

    That's why in my opinion it's a one trick pony.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,147 Community Moderator
    It kinda is, especially with beam arrays. I usually just run a standard 6/2 Beam/Torp broadside setup myself on cruisers. Maybe with an Omni for set bonus if its the damage type I'm running. But that's just me.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.