test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Options for sector travel

corerunner#1772 corerunner Member Posts: 117 Arc User
I am wondering wouldn't it be nice if when traveling to systems on sector map that we could plot a course and choose to when available to set a course with or without Quantum Slipstream on auto activate.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,310 Community Moderator
    edited August 2022
    So, you're wanting Quantum Slipstream to have a toggle, so that it'll reactivate automatically after its cool down has ended?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    PLEASE, Devs, put THIS track back into Sector Space. :*
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f_ShHYfHIk
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • corerunner#1772 corerunner Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > So, you're wanting Quantum Slipstream to have a toggle, so that it'll reactivate automatically after its cool down has ended?

No I was thinking about the idea of plotting courses for ships and being able to choose if you want to slow boat warp or plot a course that auto activates and deactivates Quantum Slipstream.
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > So, you're wanting Quantum Slipstream to have a toggle, so that it'll reactivate automatically after its cool down has ended?

No I was thinking about the idea of plotting courses for ships and being able to choose if you want to slow boat warp or plot a course that auto activates and deactivates Quantum Slipstream.

I guess I'm not understanding how this is different from what we already have. 🤔
    GrWzQke.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    I'm not sure but I think he wants to skip the "click the slipstream" button... by having a button to click at the start?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    I just want my helm officer to stop drinking on the job and trying to fly through stars.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I think he wants to skip the "click the slipstream" button... by having a button to click at the start?

So, instead of clicking the button we have, he wants a new button to click? That doesn't make much sense. Plus, it seems like we can already do what he's asking, unless I'm misunderstanding what he's asking for, which I must be.
    GrWzQke.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    I just want my helm officer to stop drinking on the job and trying to fly through stars.

I think my helm officers stopped drinking and started taking drugs instead either way they either plot a course literally into the star of the system or 1-2 lightyears away from the system.

In seriousness though it's something Cryptic should look into before adding any new systems into sector travel as I think the nav points for the systems have drifted over the years due to various upgrades to the sector maps.
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User

So, instead of clicking the button we have, he wants a new button to click? That doesn't make much sense. Plus, it seems like we can already do what he's asking, unless I'm misunderstanding what he's asking for, which I must be.

I think the OP is suggesting something like the following;

1. Open map in Sector Space.
    2. Click on "Create Flight Plan" (a new button I invented for this exercise).
    3. Select the star systems you wish to order in the order you wish to visit them.
    4. Select a Quantum Slipstream Activation Protocol (When Available, Based on Distance Between Systems, Based on 'Burn Time,' Based on Cooldown Time, etc... I'm guessing here.)
    5. Click on "Execute Flight Plan" (I invented that button, too. I'll need to order more whole cloth, it seems).
    6. Map closes and Watch That Spaceship Go!

I admit that I'm just guessing here and I'm not advocating in either direction for such a system to be put in place.

Cheeriosities!
  • bjorjlen#6464 bjorjlen Member Posts: 132 Arc User

2. Click on "Create Flight Plan" (a new button I invented for this exercise).
    3. Select the star systems you wish to order in the order you wish to visit them.
    4. Select a Quantum Slipstream Activation Protocol (When Available, Based on Distance Between Systems, Based on 'Burn Time,' Based on Cooldown Time, etc... I'm guessing here.)
    5. Click on "Execute Flight Plan" (I invented that button, too. I'll need to order more whole cloth, it seems).
    6. Map closes and Watch That Spaceship Go!

I admit that I'm just guessing here and I'm not advocating in either direction for such a system to be put in place.

Cheeriosities!

Yes, basically this I believe as well. As to the motivation for this however, not only would it cut down on having to manually click on the star systems you wanted to go to (with or without Slipstream drive), but it would also make the "Touring the Galaxy" mission far more easier to do as well, which I "think" might be the real purpose of suggesting this (still guessing here though). However, if this part is the case, I do not think this feature should ever be implemented as wouldn't that defeat the purpose of running the mission in the fastest time possible, on one's own ya know? I mean, wouldn't this in essence create a temporary "bot" style effect with your Starship, which I am sure the Dev's would just love and support (sarcasm added for affect lol). So having a auto pilot feature is all well and good imo, but not if it does any missions for you. But in the end, that's just my view...

Peace...
    Well, I'm not going to guess and speculate as to what the OP meant. I'll wait for them to answer. They seem to have abandoned their thread, though.
    GrWzQke.png
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Well, I'm not going to guess and speculate as to what the OP meant. I'll wait for them to answer. They seem to have abandoned their thread, though.

Indeed, for all we know my interpretation is WAY off.

I agree that it's best if the OP clarifies.
  • corerunner#1772 corerunner Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    you pretty much hit the nail on the head there. mostly it was timing and the fact quantum slipstream cancels out the auto navigate and the existing auto navigation programing is lackluster and can't move around stars.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,003 Arc User
    edited August 2022

2. Click on "Create Flight Plan" (a new button I invented for this exercise)...
    To me, this reads as 'let the game play itself while I go afk', which is something no game should ever do.
    Now, a Disk Defragmenter or Anti-Virus Scanner definitely should do stuff automagically!
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
    Slipstream doesn't cancel out auto navigate. Unless you have a particular trait it sets your turn rate to almost 0 when using slipstream. Its a trade off, speed for turn rate. Typically once you're on a straight path is when you use slipstream, not the second you enter sector space.

The navigating around stars I can understand though. I've bounced off a few stars in my travels.

But honestly my main issue is that some destinations from some locations don't work for autopilot, such as K7 to Nukara, or K7 to Nimbus III. I usually have to plot a course someone close, then once I'm going readjust to where I want to go. But its oddly only from specific locations to specific locations. Doesn't affect every location.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    spielman1 wrote: »
    Slipstream doesn't cancel out auto navigate. Unless you have a particular trait it sets your turn rate to almost 0 when using slipstream. Its a trade off, speed for turn rate. Typically once you're on a straight path is when you use slipstream, not the second you enter sector space.

The navigating around stars I can understand though. I've bounced off a few stars in my travels.

But honestly my main issue is that some destinations from some locations don't work for autopilot, such as K7 to Nukara, or K7 to Nimbus III. I usually have to plot a course someone close, then once I'm going readjust to where I want to go. But its oddly only from specific locations to specific locations. Doesn't affect every location.

Yeah, that is a lot of the system anymore that has auto navigated issues and does need to be looked at addressed and fixed. Try and go from Qo Nos to the tournament during the mission you end up in the wrong location or going the complete opposite direction.
    I have noticed that on occasion, the autonavigate doesn't work quite right - I'll just start moving in a straight line from where I am instead of turning to head toward my destination. For that, all I have to do is make a manual turn for a moment, then go back to autonavigation, and it works again. Not sure how that might work out for Tour the Galaxy, because I've never run that.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    spielman1 wrote: »
    PLEASE, Devs, put THIS track back into Sector Space. :*
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f_ShHYfHIk

I think that track was removed like the other for either rework which never happened or for copy right issues, many tracks where removed due to copy rights and such on those that did do theme and such and some where to be reworked but never really happened.

It's still in game, occurring sometimes, often before a fight, and was a lot of times on Vulcan.

DEVS.....EXPLAIN, please.

And put the smegging track BACK in sector space, please.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    jonsills wrote: »
    I have noticed that on occasion, the autonavigate doesn't work quite right - I'll just start moving in a straight line from where I am instead of turning to head toward my destination. For that, all I have to do is make a manual turn for a moment, then go back to autonavigation, and it works again. Not sure how that might work out for Tour the Galaxy, because I've never run that.

That's exactly the behavior I've noticed. And it happens a LOT when I'm at specific locations trying to go to other specific locations. So far I wanna say K7 is one of the biggest offenders here, as I know at LEAST 2 destinations that it will do that with.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Slipstream doesn't cancel out auto navigate.

Yes it does - if you activate it AFTER selecting a destination for the auto-navigate, you'll end up flying right on by instead of coming to a stop once you reach it.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited August 2022
    Yes it does - if you activate it AFTER selecting a destination for the auto-navigate, you'll end up flying right on by instead of coming to a stop once you reach it.​​

Not if you put slipstream on your power tray. If you activate it from the throttle controls yes. But if you activate it from your power tray then no. I use it all the time that way and I have NEVER flown past a destination with time left on slipstream. You just gotta put it on your tray from the "spellbook".
    Ok, well, like @rattler2 said, depending upon how you activate quantum slipstream, it doesn't cancel auto navigate. As for the rest, I honestly don't see them touching Sector Space again unless their somehow able to unify ALL of Sector Space. I'm not entirely sure what the point of any of this could be for, though, since we can instantly transwarp practically anywhere now.
    GrWzQke.png
  • bjorjlen#6464 bjorjlen Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    Yeah, I am with @baddmoonrizin here. Even with the occasional navigation issues I have experienced in the game as @rattler2 has mentioned, so long as I can transwarp to systems, it doesn't affect me all that much. In fact, the only real time I use Transwarp is when I am heading towards those "Instance battles" in space, and even then I am fairly chill about getting there. Except for those times when they up and disappear just as soon as am about to reach them; now that is annoying lol...

Peace...
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    something I notice, and it seems like it is a KDF issue, is that if you are at Defera and plot a course to DS9, it does not "take" and you either don't turn toward or if it does, you fly right by.

I think the Bajoran officer is saying Negative, ghostrider, the pattern is full

I also have that problem going to Gon'cra battlezone if i start from defera or DS9
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
This discussion has been closed.