test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wide arc torpedoes, re-engineering

fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
I have a toon that flies an Alita that uses all sorts of energy torpedoes.

With four weapon slots you can already create nice light shows, but it would be even better if the aft weapon slots could be used more easily to fire torpedoes as well.

We have omni-directional beams, we have wide arc cannons. And while we also have wide-arc torpedoes, they are rather limited, either coming with special ships or through a limited number of reputations, severely restricting the available options. In fact, none of the energy torpedoes have the required modifier, as far as I'm aware.

So it would be nice if the energy torpedoes could be fully opened up to re-engineering, making it possible to get that 180 degree arc firing ability.
[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,824 Arc User
    The thing about wide arc torpedoes is they're designed to be wide arc...they have reduced damage for the added arc, and with omni beams you can only equip a few and not a entire ship full. Torpedo builds can already be pretty destructive with just a forward arc...can you imagine how devastating a broadsider would be? They'd either have to make it so only one side fires which would essentially make broadsiding useless or the process to make a torpedo wide angle would have to significantly reduce the damage or else it would be insane.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    lianthelia wrote: »
    The thing about wide arc torpedoes is they're designed to be wide arc...they have reduced damage for the added arc, and with omni beams you can only equip a few and not a entire ship full. Torpedo builds can already be pretty destructive with just a forward arc...can you imagine how devastating a broadsider would be? They'd either have to make it so only one side fires which would essentially make broadsiding useless or the process to make a torpedo wide angle would have to significantly reduce the damage or else it would be insane.

Re-engineering them would mean that you give up a modifier, so that automatically reduces their damage output.

As for how powerful they are: they still have some inherent limitations. Beams and cannons can fire constantly (only a few torpedoes can do this and they also sacrifice other things for that) and their firing cycle speed can also be enhanced by many traits, for example. Torpedoes wouldn't need more limitations if just one limitation were removed.

I seriously doubt that the ability to broadside with a torpedo build would be game breaking - any argument against it would also apply to beams for example after all. And broadsiding with beams or firing both cannons and turrets is possible, and no one has a problem with those ;) .
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,824 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

Re-engineering them would mean that you give up a modifier, so that automatically reduces their damage output.

As for how powerful they are: they still have some inherent limitations. Beams and cannons can fire constantly (only a few torpedoes can do this and they also sacrifice other things for that) and their firing cycle speed can also be enhanced by many traits, for example. Torpedoes wouldn't need more limitations if just one limitation were removed.

I seriously doubt that the ability to broadside with a torpedo build would be game breaking - any argument against it would also apply to beams for example after all. And broadsiding with beams or firing both cannons and turrets is possible, and no one has a problem with those ;) .

Energy weapons and torpedoes are two completely different things...players can do great dps with torpedo boats already, it's simple logic you double your rate of fire and you're going to massively scale the damage you do.

It's also more than just a mod, omni beams are built with lower damage to compensate for the fact they have 360 degree arc
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Mandela effect - I thought there was 1 or more R&D level 15 wide-angle torpedo, but there are just the omni beams and dual heavy cannons. The only torpedo is the plasma cloud one which is 90 degrees - https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Particle_Emission_Plasma_Torpedo_Launcher

It's too bad adding more crafting items is not even on the devs' radar, wide-angle basic torps would be a nice addition.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    We have omni-directional beams, we have wide arc cannons. And while we also have wide-arc torpedoes, they are rather limited, either coming with special ships or through a limited number of reputations, severely restricting the available options. In fact, none of the energy torpedoes have the required modifier, as far as I'm aware.

So it would be nice if the energy torpedoes could be fully opened up to re-engineering, making it possible to get that 180 degree arc firing ability.

While not actual Torpedoes, the Kelvin Beam Arrays have a mini-torpedo type firing animation. Since you are using energy weapons already, so may wish to consider looking to them, perhaps for your rear Weapon Slots.

We should have some Torpedo Omni-Turrets, though. We see them used on-screen on DS9. I am not sure why they were never added to the game. Maybe whenever Crafting gets an update they could be added
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    I keep saying we should get some kind of aft-restricted cluster torpedo weapons that deploys similar to mines, but have a firing range instead of a seek range. They'd be weaker than standard torpedo options and mines of the same design type, and maybe they use torpedo firing modes, maybe they don't.

I concur.

You can almost get a similar effect using the 'Hot Pursuit' Space Trait to double Mines' Chase Distance.
This discussion has been closed.