test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dreaming about STO

fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
Last night I dreamed about this game. A new update was announced, which revolved largely around releasing new playable species. Cryptic wanted to give us many more options. I have forgotten most of the details, but we could even play as Changelings and, I think, Xindi Aquatics and some other species.

Now, the weird part is that, during this dream, I was questioning whether this was real or not. Although greatly enjoying the news and even responding here that I really appreciated how releasing more species options was getting so much attention from the Devs, some part of my mind also apparently was conscious enough or sufficiently in touch with reality to remind me that all of this was unlikely. However, this was done without ruining the dream by reminding me WHY it was unrealistic (like these species using very different models, as we have been explained in the past). I simply remained a bit reserved, telling myself that I needed to check all of this in-game.

And then, for whatever reason, I enjoyed playing as a Changeling.
[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Hm, I guess I'm the only one who spends far too much time on this game then. xD
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    I've fallen asleep while binge watching/listening to Certifiablyingame's long running Capt Mark Hale narrated playthrough of sto. And ended up with some funky sto related dreams.
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 450 Arc User
    Somehow when I have the game dreams, and this is not exclusive to STO, I always wake up stressed out as if I were dreaming about work.

I don't know if that's a statement about how my brain works or that too many games really are too much like a second job.

Personally I think it's a mix.
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    When I play ground combat here in STO, I generally imagine it's the late 70s/early 80s, playing with Star Wars and G.I. Joe figures. Or at least that's what it takes me back to. Then again, I have a penchant for attempting to match uniforms to action figure outfits. ^_~
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    I wouldn't say dreaming, but being busy with theory crafting/ building new builds and it continues after going to sleep.
    Have had a few deja vu moment when i finally put sets/gear together ingame.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    You know when you doze off when watching/playing something you often dream about that thing? That's the only time it's happened to me, used to get it with BG 2 all the time as a teen.

Most normal sleep is populated by general weirdness and trauma. I never have what I call good dreams just weird ones.

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    only time I dreamt about the game the screen said "you are 54,832 in queue"
    Spock.jpg

• nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    I don't dream about STO.. what I do dream about is my home town and running around it all the time. Funny thing is the area bellow the town is like a Minecraft underground cave area. When I try to drive around town I pick up the car around my hips and run. Then when I park I pick it up and put the car in my pocket. Then there's the buildings with the floors between floors. Those are fun. Finally monsters don't bother me in my dreams because I turned around and said, "BOO!" once and they ran off scared.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    There is a theory that memories are, in essence, zipped (like computer files) for long term storage and that dreams are the zipping process in action. According to the theory the reason dreams use familiar things (like one's hometown) is that the new memories of the day before are combined with in-some-way similar old memory threads in that associative-concepts pseudo file structure.

And yes, I dream of things in STO sometimes, especially when working out a new ship build or character concept, or after using one or both of those for a long session in the game for the first time.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Evidence we spend too much time playing STO... lol...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
This discussion has been closed.