test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unable to start "The Calling"

ryogahabikiryogahabiki Member Posts: 24 Arc User
edited May 2022 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I created a ticket for this issue (Ticket #738909)
I have tried now dozens of times to start the new mission "the calling"
I get to Earth and click to begin the mission, and STO crashes (It makes it to 41.44% and then crashes)
I drop the mission and restart it, and STO still crashes when I try to start
I try Safe Mode, no change
I force the game to check all the files, no change
I reboot my PC, no change
I can do other missions without issue, the only one I can not do is "the calling"
I don't know what else I can try, except uninstall STO and reinstall it, but with all the updates it would have to download and how long that takes, I would prefer not...
zrh5a470h76d.png
djj19msor7j2.png
Post edited by ryogahabiki on

Comments

• ryogahabikiryogahabiki Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    After pouring through the logs, all I can find is this
    220514 03:39:00 481 Client[799207]: Error modifying .hogg file Err#: C:/Programs/Sto/Star Trek Online_En/Star Trek Online/Live/Piggs/Bins.Hogg: 0x709

I deleted said file and relaunched the game and had it check all the files, it rebuilt the file in question, yet the issue didn't go away.
    edited May 2022
    After some research I tried disabling "on demand patching" and enabled "reduced file streaming"
    And after it downloaded all the files, the whole program now crashes when I try to load it. I can't even choose which of my toons to use. It crashes every time now.
    Checked log and the errors point to Bins.Hogg
    File read from disk has bad CRC. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.: B:/Sto/Star Trek Online_En/Star Trek Online/Live/Piggs/Bins.Hogg: file_0: 0x25 #2755045681
    220515 05:21:07 2 Client[0]: Corrupt ?Datalist entry in Hogg file: B:/Sto/Star Trek Online_En/Star Trek Online/Live/Piggs/Bins.Hogg: 0x17
    220515 04:47:59 1 Client[0]: Corrupt DataList in Hogg file: B:/Sto/Star Trek Online_En/Star Trek Online/Live/Piggs/Bins.Hogg: 0x134
    220514 20:37:24 1 Client[0]: File read from disk has bad CRC. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.: C:/Programs/Sto/Star Trek Online_En/Star Trek Online/Live/Piggs/Bins.Hogg: file_0: 0x25 #3512272716
    220514 20:37:24 2 Client[0]: Corrupt ?Datalist entry in Hogg file: C:/Programs/Sto/Star Trek Online_En/Star Trek Online/Live/Piggs/Bins.Hogg: 0x17
    220514 17:03:00 1 Client[0]: File read from disk has bad CRC. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.: C:/Programs/Sto/Star Trek Online_En/Star Trek Online/Live/Piggs/Bins.Hogg: file_0: 0x25 #4194231214
    220514 17:03:00 2 Client[0]: Corrupt ?Datalist entry in Hogg file: C:/Programs/Sto/Star Trek Online_En/Star Trek Online/Live/Piggs/Bins.Hogg: 0x17
    220515 05:21:10 4 Client[0]: File read from disk has bad CRC. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.: B:/Sto/Star Trek Online_En/Star Trek Online/Live/Piggs/Bins.Hogg: file_0: 0x25 #2755045681
    220515 05:21:10 5 Client[0]: Missing or corrupt DataList in Hogg file: B:/Sto/Star Trek Online_En/Star Trek Online/Live/Piggs/Bins.Hogg: 0x13

I have removed said file, had the launcher force verify all files, rebuilding the file, and it still crashes. Making the game unplayable.
    I then uninstalled and reinstalled STO, and it still crashes on load, same errors.
    edited May 2022
    Update. I enabled "on demand patching" and disabled "reduced file streaming"
    At first I could launch STO again, and do every mission, except "The Calling"
    Then STO started crashing on load every time.
    Going to uninstall, manually erase all remaining files, and then reinstall.
    After days of trying different "solutions", I found the issue and a way to fix it.
    I had originally installed STO on a FAT32 Partition. (I use a dual boot Windows 11 Pro / Ubuntu 22.04 LTS)
    All my applications were put in said Partition.
    I then uninstalled it and installed it on a NTFS Partition. The instant I did that, all the issues that started after the recent update went away. I was able to complete the new mission (The Calling) and it stopped frequently crashing.
    I double checked the system requirements (https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/1055500-system-requirements) to make sure nothing changed, and it doesn't mention FAT32 or NTFS at all. I google searched "Star Trek Online NTFS" and "Star Trek Online FAT32" and neither search yielded any result (regarding Star Trek Online)
    So, if you also are having problems and installed STO on a FAT32 partition, try putting it on a NTFS partition and see if that fixes it.
    Hopefully a moderator or developer will respond and let us know if this is a known issue.