test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Changes to Tier 5 Reputation Dilithium

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
edited April 2022 in Galactic News Network [PC]
The Dilithium Ore given as part of the mission rewards associated with reaching Tier 5 in any Reputation have been replaced with Reputation Dilithium Vouchers. This reward has always been intended to be used to purchase Reputation Equipment, which may still be done using these Vouchers, which also do not require Refinement before use.

This change will take effect tomorrow on PC, and next Tuesday on Console.

So what happens when I reach Tier 5 of a Reputation now?
You will receive the same amount of dilithium as you had received in the past, but now in the form of Reputation Dilithium Vouchers. These vouchers can be spent to purchase Reputation Equipment.

Can I use these Reputation Dilithium Vouchers on any Reputation?
Yes. Vouchers unlocked from reaching Tier 5 on any Reputation can be used to purchase Reputation Equipment from any Reputation.

Why is this change being made?
As mentioned above, this Dilithium was always meant to be used to obtain Reputation Equipment. At the time, the designers believed players would use it exclusively for that, which may have been shortsighted. Switching this may have an effect on the Dilithium Economy. It's one of the many changes we're hoping to enact over the coming months.

Can you tell us about any of the other changes?
Not at this time. The other changes are either still in the testing phase or the design phase, and not yet ready for public consumption.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    chaoshero5567#1822 chaoshero5567 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Interesting change.....
  • Options
    gavnarthorn356gavnarthorn356 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I guess in a way its a blessing and a curse, depending on what you're looking for
  • Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    well... much less new pillars for sure. but what about more options to use dilithium?
  • Options
    mirax#1711 mirax Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Will there be any effect on those beyond or adjust at tier 5?
    Of all the ideas that became the United States, there's a line in the Declaration of Independance that's at the heart of all the others. "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for their future security."
  • Options
    captjackharpercaptjackharper Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Don't get me wrong, but the problem is not that the market is flooded with dilithium, but that you can't buy anything useful for the dilithium.
  • Options
    talgeezetalgeeze Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    I have a feeling the people supposed to be targeted by this change (players who have been playing for years and have no longer any use for dilithium so they just farm it by creating new toons - mostly Jem'Hadars - and leveling Reps to T5 then convert it to Zen to buy the expensive bundles and delete/recreate their characters*) won't feel it anywhere close to what Cryptic thinks it will. Maybe this change would be more welcome if Reputation Vouchers could be used not only for the Reputation projects but also for the Reputation stores?

Meanwhile they could have partially solved this Dilithium surplus issue quite easily by introducing more "space barbie for Dilithium" like they did for the Vanity Shields. This would have impacted all players the same way. I do not understand why nobody at Cryptic believes there is a huge market for weapon vanity options.

*which could be easily fixed by locking almost all Recruit rewards (mainly those giving Dilithium / reputation marks) behind a Level 65 + 20 hours played requirement, or change the Dil refine per toon to per account and raise the cap a bit.
    Post edited by talgeeze on
  • Options
    pacecar1979pacecar1979 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Great job! You are ruining this game every week. No need to level new characters.
  • Options
    spottedfeatherspottedfeather Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    How do you buy reputation equipment ?
  • Options
    oxbadcode#7395 oxbadcode Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I think this is a relatively good change "it will help me not spend rep Dil on pheonix boxes and save it for rep* lol
  • Options
    highlandrisehighlandrise Member Posts: 354 Arc User
    You know, adding more stuff to the game where we could spend the dill, THAT would be an awesome change no? Like someone mentioned in game chat, ad a Tab to the Dilithium Store and there ad ALL the Past Event Rewards, like Items, Devices, Boffs, Doffs, Ships and so on, make them Account Unlocks like they were Originaly and than let us buy that stuff with Dilithium, and BAM see how the Flooded Dill Market normalizes itself, THIS is something that would make sense, would be good for the Game AND make tons of people Happy who missed those past event Rewards, think about it.
  • Options
    neoforce42neoforce42 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Wow that's bad. So in other words people will now be at the mercy of endless ridiculous player ship prices on exchange and probably depressing gambling instead of earning dilithium to buy ships. The equipment stuff is ok but not everyone wants to buy them 24/7. Once we have the specific equipment what is the incentive to keep playing? :/
    Sounds like my dilithium is going to become worthless.

I'm already maxed out on reputations and I already have the equipment that I want. This is why I hate live service games. I tolerate it with STO but this is baffling since it's probably going to hurt online population. :s

I kind of feel like if there going this route they may well just start working on STO 2. :(
    vevutq3kggic.png

My ultimate Doom open world mod:

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-compile-project
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    How do you buy reputation equipment ?

To answer this question there are two ways to buy equipment. You can purchase it from that reputations individual store, or you can utilize it for projects within the reputation itself. An example being if one wished to purchase an Assimilated Module from the Omega reputation. You need to have the appropriate amount of omega marks, neural processors, EC, and dilithium. The reputation only vouchers can be used in place of the dilithium requirement allowing you to purchase your Assimilated Module without having to use actual refined dilithium to do so.

Another popular example would be folks looking to invest in the Lorka's set from the Discovery reputation. Assuming a person wanted to run all 3 pieces, they can save their reputation dilithium and purchase said equipment without ever having to touch their refined dilithium.
    talgeeze wrote: »
    *which could be easily fixed by locking almost all Recruit rewards (mainly those giving Dilithium / reputation marks) behind a Level 65 + 20 hours played requirement, or change the Dil refine per toon to per account and raise the cap a bit.

Raising the dilithium cap is an automatic no go that you don't want happening. All you're doing at that point is further increasing the flood of excess dilithium we have now. You think dilithium inflation is bad now, you haven't see anything yet if that were to happen. Problem also isn't the recruitment rewards either. Problem is not enough downward pull on the dilithium exchange to remove excess supply.

Consider the dilithium exchange much like a bathtub. In order to take a good bath you need the water to be at a certain level to submerse yourself but without overflowing the tub. In order to maintain that healthy level, there needs to be enough water coming in to fill the tub, but also enough drainage to maintain that level once it's reached. Too much drainage and there's not enough water, too little drainage and you flood the bathroom. Problem right now is that the drain is completely plugged up and the water has not only overflowed the tub, but has flooded the rest of the house at this point. Incoming water flow isn't the issue as there's more ways to get water into the tub. Problem is the drain is stopped up and not pulling excess water out.

That dilithium cap of 8k per toon per day is part of why it took so long for the exchange to get into the state it is now. If the cap were any higher it would've overflowed long ago. Also they don't want to lower the cap either because that would be a straight slap in the face to players.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    aoviiaovii Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    I, as one of the players who actually spends money and keeps this game alive - somewhere between $1k - $2k over the past 12 month alone, think this is idiotic. A good portion of that money went into the dilex to quickly equip a new character and level our small fleet.

Now, i'm not going to spend more money to keep leveling that fleet and if the dilex drops below that ridiculous cap i'm just gonna stop. And if i stop building the fleet, i have no incentive to keep playing the game. Me not playing the game means there is no reason to spend money to buy zen.

Quit the bs and remove the dilex cap. The people complaining about the "not working" dilex are most probably the same people not spending a cent but expect to be able to instantly buy the new c-store/lockbox/promo stuff when it comes out.
    Time and time again i see some players braging about owning half or more of the c-store items but have never spend any money apart from maybe a LTS. For me on the other hand it's shorter to count the items i have instead of what i dont have. Even after spending thousends of dollars over the years.

Dont get me wrong, i'm not against the dilex and the ability to get c-store items "for free". But no being able to get everything or get stuff instantly should be the norm, not the exception. If people want stuff instantly they should help keeping the game running by buying zen with money.

I'll watch what happens but if it gets more expensive for me to enjoy the game as i do now i just quit.

Edit:
    How about you, Cryptic, take the bullet and sell newly created zen for, let's say, 30% over the delex rate? Then people still can instantly get zen but for a extra price? Or like i said, remove that silly cap and while you're at it exclude zen bought through the exchange from buying dil again to eliminate the specualtion on the prices like we had before we hit the cap.

Plus the whole reasoning from people on your twitter post that they use it to buy their upgrades on new characters makes sense to me too. I personally am just too impatient to wait so long to upgrade my gear. I rather buy the dil for it and get some reimbursement when i hit t5 rep, then dump it into fleet projects or even get and upgrade a second/third equipment set for that character. There are only few rep items still worth getting, so hundreds of thousands of rep dil vouchers are useless TRIBBLE.
    Post edited by aovii on
  • Options
    khidorahian#6526 khidorahian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Fantastic...
  • Options
    knightmare#8708 knightmare Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    If you're going to do this then remove the restrictions on the number of rep Items you can have. Getting 450k Rep dil is useless when there is nothing worth that much to buy, I already have 300k rep dil just sitting there because there is nothing worth getting in the rep store due to the limitation on how many weapons/torps you can equip.. I'm sure as hell not going to clog my inventory with every single rep item just to spend worthless Reputation dil.

This is really going to turn off a lot of causal players who don't have the time to grind out dilithium for hours on end. In fact I think this will be a game breaker for me, I just don't have enough time to grind anymore as real life is intruding more and more. The only Dil I could get was the T5 Rep Dil and now that won't be happening, so it makes playing kinda pointless any more as I won't be able to make enough dil to be of any use.

The rep item restrictions make this move a silly idea, and it will definitely lose you a lot of casual players. Won't affect the hard core ones of course. I guess I've been given a reason to stop playing, the excuse I've been looking for I suppose, first you get rid of the ARC app on Xbox so we can't claim our account items anymore, and now make it 10 times harder for casual players to accumulate enough dil to get, well, anything.

This is not a well thought out move, but you'll do what you want to do anyway and to hell with all the players that have paid a lot of money to play, myself included, but no longer have the time to play hours and hours each day. This is a real kick in the teeth for all my support and money and time.

As a final note this will KILL off Fleet progression new fleets and even existing fleets are going to really struggle now to get players to donate dil donations to fleet projects, I know I won't be donating anymore and since fleet donations are already very low for most I bet this will halt fleet progression fully.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    I'm not sure this is going to be a positive change at all. That reputation drop has always been nice and by restricting it to the reputation system that will reduce what can be used for other things, especially for players without a lot of disposable income AND not a lot of grind time. To say nothing of rep dilithium that would be used for fleets. On another note. INCREASE THE VALUE OF DILITHIUM IN FLEET CREDITS.
    Post edited by captaind3 on
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    neoforce42neoforce42 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    Umm maybe is time to start working on STO 2. I don't see this change helping long term population and STO has needed a major update in years and it's very restrictive for an old engine. I'm quite concerned if this is going to hurt long term play since dilithium is like the main way to earn content in the game and it's bad enough that's it felt like a grind for a while since it's not very rewarding.
    vevutq3kggic.png

My ultimate Doom open world mod:

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-compile-project
  • Options
    turtle8010#2791 turtle8010 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Great job once again make this game more pointless to play its time for this game to end and to bring a new one out done by a different mire competent company because you guys have done horrible since the start
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,004 Arc User
    A sensible change given the intended use for the Dilithium now being tied into the Reputations.
    Not everyone's going to like it, as we can see in some of the above replies, but makes perfect sense to do this.
    However, a simple but big change like this really should be announced in a blog post on the main site.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    Furthermore you guys may have wanted to discuss this with the community before committing to the change.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    So instead of actually adding stuff of value to purchase, you remove yet another source of dilithium.
    I'm a pretty casual player, and don't even play long enough to get 4k per day on one character.
    My entire account has probably less than 500k across 13 characters right now, and I haven't cashed in for Zen since the exchange hit 500.

If you're going to split up resources, at least give us a shared "reputation/fleet" voucher pool, and allow us to buy stuff from said stores with the appropriate vouchers. Klingon Admiralty is dead to me, since I need actual dilithium to purchase stuff from fleet stores. I haven't touched it since the Admiralty nerf. Ferengi is still at least useful.
    I already have rep vouchers from recruitment events I haven't spent, but I wouldn't mind spending it on unlocking the extra trait slots on those characters.

What even is the point of dilithium anymore? Might as well remove it to improve the game, it's clearly too broken to fix.
    It's clear the devs want dilithium to go away, as that means people have to buy more zen.

For the record, I've purchased a lot of stuff in this game, and spend about $120/yr on this game (I know, I'm a minnow).
    Mostly because I started having to, since event dilithium was nerfed a few years back, and that was my primary source.
    I feel like I'm being further punished for casual play, even though I'm not a dil farmer.

Thanks for making your thoughts on us players clear.

EDIT: If you made event buyouts require dilithium, you'd clear out the farmers hoarding, and still get Zen sales from casuals that can't get enough dilithium through normal play.
    But that actually makes sense to the game's economy, and not necessarily to Cryptic's bean counters, so that's DOA.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Bad idea.

Let's see what this will impact. Character slot sales? Seeya. New players? Bye. F2P players? Outta here, though oldies will likely have tons anyway.

Now I know what the intent is here, give money pls. It was never intended for reps at all, like all F2P games you gradually squeeze the ways to get currency outside of spending real money.

Hope the bean counters are happy, I can guarantee an exodus especially if you squeeze dil sources more and more.

I'll give you a clue on how to solve the dil 'problem'. Give us more ways to spend it by taking weapon types out of the lockboxes and putting them in the dil store. Put more things in phoenix boxes with REASONABLE odds at acquisition.

That would require effort of course......enjoy the game while it lasts guys, the endgame is fast approaching.

Oh and what do we upgrade our rep gear with exactly? One item takes 7 or 8 phoenix upgrades to XV never mind guilding it, which is about 36 on average.
  • Options
    Dil mining is not a quick or easy process. Despite the fact that I have put thousands into your pocket Cryptic, you want to take away my ability to supplement my way to acquire Zen? I have probably made $150 worth of zen through Dil mining. I have easily spent 20 times that in real world money. I would continue to buy Zen as dil mining takes time, however, this decision has me questioning if I will continue to play STO. It is starting to like one of those "maybe log in once a week games"! You know like Greed Theft Auto?

I bought my PS5 almost exclusively to play STO. I dont really play anything else. Looks like it may be time to cut my losses...

I hope you know that I am not the only player who feels this way and has been supporting you. Good luck with your new loss of financial support.
  • Options
    oliverrogerr#5018 oliverrogerr Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    even though I'm one of the whales I'm really not grateful to see one of the few ways to save a few dollars being taken away like this, instead of creating interesting new ways to spend the DILL (VANITY SHIELD WAS A GOOD IDEA) (I'M GETTING TIRED OF TALKING TO KAEL ABOUT CREATING VISUAL EFFECTS LIKE ICE MIST OR FIRE FOR SHIPS, CAPTAINS, BRIDGE OFFICERS...) but nooooo you prefer to limit even more the way the dill is spent, I thought the sale of the company would attract smarter people to the team but looks like i was wrong, now you can't use the dil reward to buy stuff from dilithium stores or re-engineering weapons, consoles or for fleet, fleet store, consoles, exchange for zen, Your only way of getting dilithium now for those purposes.
  • Options
    dan#8427 dan Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I'm not seeing a date on the post was this today? 3/30/2022
  • Options
    tazurensavulentazurensavulen Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Why are you making this absurd change? You cannot use Rep Dil vouchers to buy Rep Store Weapons, only actual Dil. It is not a good idea.
    signature_for_kerbal_space_program_by_lord_inu_hanyou-dbhp8de.png
    [06/16 11:51] [Combat (Self)] Your Advanced Dual Heavy Radiant Antiproton Cannons - Hypercharge deals 237970 (113626) Antiproton Damage(Critical) to Tactical Cube.
    AHAHAHA! Eat it Borg!
    [09/15 11:01] [Combat (Self)] You lose 12187085 Cold Damage from Death.
    Death is OP, please nerf. I BLAME KURLAND FOR THIS!
  • Options
    pcubed#3456 pcubed Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    You are making it impossible for new players to start this game. All of the Dilithium changes you are making hurts new players that don't have a lot of Dilithium and they do nothing to remove the Dilithium from the market for the people that have been playing for years. Stop hurting Dilithium requisition and give people something shiny to spend their Dilithium on.

P.S. Giving us just 24 hrs notice on a change like this is a d#$k move. Many chars already spent tons of Dilithium on Reputation items before hitting level 5.
  • Options
    darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    Perhaps you could have considered moving the dilithium rewards to Tier 6 instead of removing them completely:
    • Takes longer to achieve the rewards
    • Requires more effort to do so (Mark rewards from recruits only take you to around Tier 5, if you have all relevant Recruitment characters completed, so at Tier 6 you actually have to 'play' to get the needed marks)
    • Does not remove a source of dilithium from new players (who are the ones who will be most hurt by this change)

New players are the life-blood for the long term health of any live service game, but STO seems determined in recent years to not only make it increasingly expensive for them to try and catch up to older players but also finding new ways to restrict their means to do so, without of course spending real money.

I think it has reached a point now where I would not recommend that someone try this game out as a new F2P player, the economics of the game are just too heavily weighted now towards pushing you to spend real money.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Please allow it to be used to by Reputation Stores for weapons and such. Right now my KDF that got boosted to 65 still has a significant pile of Reputation Dilithium that don't really have any meaningful gear to spend it on, and can't buy things like Withering Disruptors for their redness using that pile. The pile of Reputation Dilithium I got on that character is a tiny fraction of getting all the Reps to T5 would be. Could also use other things to spend it on.

I suppose it does save me time, as I won't need nearly as much grinding for a targeted build on a new character. Thanks to being able to just hit the Reputation tiers I need for traits and gear, and then not having to wade through the remainder for the now un-needed payouts.

Day late, dollar short of a change IMO in the grand scheme of things for the Dil market.
This discussion has been closed.