test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

visual slot for weapons

kylefubarkylefubar Member Posts: 34 Arc User
I have seen many of the same topics and everyone has a different way thay are asking.
your ship has a tab that is for visuals just add two more slots.

1.engery weapons
2.kinetic

you would have to equip a weapon of your desired visual in it for it to apply.

so if my ship has standard phaser beams but i like to have the look of pulse phasers or kelvin phasers. i cant buy them on the exchange or enough to have a full set as long as i had one to put in the slot they would all look like pulse phasers.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    kylefubar wrote: »
    I have seen many of the same topics and everyone has a different way thay are asking.
    your ship has a tab that is for visuals just add two more slots.

1.engery weapons
    2.kinetic

you would have to equip a weapon of your desired visual in it for it to apply.

so if my ship has standard phaser beams but i like to have the look of pulse phasers or kelvin phasers. i cant buy them on the exchange or enough to have a full set as long as i had one to put in the slot they would all look like pulse phasers.

IIRC CBS had vetoed changing weapon visuals in the past, I dunno know if that's still the case but that's been the case in the past.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Been asked about many times. As pointed out, CBS veto'd. Far as I know that veto stands.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I've wanted a way to unify beam and torpedo visuals since 2014.

I've added my vote to many, many topics suggesting different ways to allow this without hurting Cryptic's sales of gear in lock boxes and the lobi shop. I've started a topic or two of my own.

We've been told that CBS said no, and nothing since then. We finally have multiple T6 Connies (which CBS also rejected for years) so it could happen someday but until then we must either skip using some gear or endure the flaws in our Space Barbie.
  • relicthiefrelicthief Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Been asked about many times. As pointed out, CBS veto'd. Far as I know that veto stands.

If I remember correctly, wasn't that more a veto on being able to change the colors of energy weapons so that "phasers are orange and disruptors are green"? Which has gone way out the window since every energy type comes in a rainbow of colors these days.
    Ancient Alien.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    I don't see what the big fuss is about different colored weapons of the same energy anyway. In TOS they used red, blue, and (rarely) green for ship (and hand) phasers, it wasn't until the movies that they started using all the same color (and then TOS-Remastered came out and they obsessively changed all the phasers to blue).

Also, you can use the look of a weapon's SFX to get an idea of what the weapon is currently, if there was a vanity slot to change that it would muddle things in the little bit of PvP they have in the game and someone is sure to find a way to exploit it.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

I think the last word on it was that game mechanics prevent it. A "weapon visual slot" wouldn't work the same way the other vanity slots work.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2021

Also, you can use the look of a weapon's SFX to get an idea of what the weapon is currently,

Assuming that 1) you recognize on sight all the dozens of different weapon graphics that currently exist, and 2) you can even see them past all the other visual spam.

Plus, the kind of PvP situations where "I need to know, and can possibly react appropriately to, the color beams coming at me from my enemy" don't really exist in this game anymore.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Especially when you equip Resist All armor consoles. In PvE it might help to know what's hitting you in case it carries debuff procs, but honestly... most generalist builds are ready for just about anything.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »

Also, you can use the look of a weapon's SFX to get an idea of what the weapon is currently,

Assuming that 1) you recognize on sight all the dozens of different weapon graphics that currently exist, and 2) you can even see them past all the other visual spam.

Plus, the kind of PvP situations where "I need to know, and can possibly react appropriately to, the color beams coming at me from my enemy" don't really exist in this game anymore.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/qc8yle/super_helpful_guide_on_weapon_visuals/

Best get studying.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    A request for a weapon visual slot has been mentioned in chat during Ten Forward streams, but due to the way the system currently works, it would be a bit more complicated to do then the shield/engine/deflector visual slots. I don't think they entirely ruled it out as an idea, but it's probably not a high priority. It might cause minor issues in PVP if people are judging weapon proc types based on their color though. I don't do PVP so I don't know about that.

Being able to change the color to whatever you want will not likely happen. (And I assume is what got vetoed way back when.) Apparently Cryptic's relationship with CBS is better then it has been at times in the past though.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    A request for a weapon visual slot has been mentioned in chat during Ten Forward streams, but due to the way the system currently works, it would be a bit more complicated to do then the shield/engine/deflector visual slots. I don't think they entirely ruled it out as an idea, but it's probably not a high priority. It might cause minor issues in PVP if people are judging weapon proc types based on their color though. I don't do PVP so I don't know about that.

Being able to change the color to whatever you want will not likely happen. (And I assume is what got vetoed way back when.) Apparently Cryptic's relationship with CBS is better then it has been at times in the past though.

There is also the probable performance hit if they were to abstract the visuals out into separate tables that have to be referenced to make the adjustments for every player involved in a combat for every shot. Right now the weapon visuals are probably on the main line for the weapon which is quicker.
This discussion has been closed.