test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

unamusedhamster#5076 unamusedhamster Member Posts: 32 Arc User
edited October 2021 in Ten Forward
As everyone knows STO is a old game and there comes a time when a MMO games engines needs to be updated and graphics made better as well. Here is my suggestions for what I would like to see and if this post has enough positive feedback and interest it might just catch the attention of the Devs and they might even consider it. What I am offering is a HUGE change to STO gameplay BUT could potentially bring in More players as well as more money to the ARC wallet.

I would like to see STO kind of like EVE online. The same entire setup as eve, travel, mining, fleet wars, ect. but unlike EVE you don't lose your stuff. Instead of losing your stuff you can gain experience and/or fame, Ill discuss fame in a few minutes.

SPACE TRAVEL:
The Sector space travel system is a system designed for older games. it would be nice to say in order to get to New Romulus and you are a rom/fed and your in the sol system, You have to go through multiple systems in order to get there and some systems, like the current patrol systems, that when you warped in you would have to battle nausicans, or thoians or even BORG. Each system you travel to depending on the factions border line has a chance to spawn enemy ships and the Deeper you go into that factions territory the more ships there is guarding the system. Transwarp would remain the same and the transwarp to the system for a mission would remain the same just a diff system setup to enter that separate instance.

MINING:
Mining for instance you could say actually mine trilithium and Dilithium and other lithium's of the STO universe. Heck you could even go so far as make mining for all the raw crafting resources if need be.

FLEET WARS:
Fleet wars would Bring back PvP on a fleet scale. You still have PvP say like 15 levels higher or lower than you but that's if you go out to look for people. PvP system in itself needs this revamp to bring back PvP. However there would be safe zones to all NUTRAL locations like DS9, Drozana, Sol, Qonos, Deffera, ECT. basically anything were any faction and play in the same map would be considered safe zones that you could not attack the other faction.

FAME SYSTEM:
This would be an ENTIRELY new system brought into the game. It would work like a bounty system. Here is a scenario, If you lets say kill 20 people consecutively in X amount of minutes, then you get a bounty put on you where others can try and kill you REGAURDLESS of faction alignment. If you continue to kill while having a bounty on your head the bounty to kill you goes up but you as the killer gain bonus XP. For example every 10 kills after the 20 kill bounty in X amount of time lets say you get a 10% increase in XP and EC so lets say normally you get 100% XP and EC and you get 70 kills in X amount of time you then get 150% increase in XP and EC until someone kills you.

DOFFS:
Doffs is another thing that has almost died off recently. Combine this with the new space travel system and you would have to go to each system, Kill any enemy that's there if there's any, and do doffs like normal. EACH system you go to would act like the sectors in the current sector space system. This could potently open up the ability to say Go to a nebula and ACUALLY be in a nebula to be able to get a chain Doff mission.

OTHER:
The other things like inventory, ship builds, Research, Reputation, Basically any of those smaller systems would virtually remain the same. However on the topic of ship builds I would like to see MODULAR ships. You buy a frame of the ship you want to use and you kit it out with parts to get exactly what you want. This ship build system would accommodate this ENTIRE new gameplay really well. You could make the ship look like an old rust bucket with High end parts.

I TRULY BELIVE that remaking STO in this fashion would not only bring in more players but would have more players willing to pay more money to be able to get those zen store space ships/traits/ECT.
Post edited by unamusedhamster#5076 on

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Spamming redacted. — WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Odds are the only response you'll really get is that if you want something like EVE, go play EVE.

For my part if you'd like a blow by blow thing...
    clhleroy wrote: »
    SPACE TRAVEL:
    The Sector space travel system is a system designed for older games. it would be nice to say in order to get to New Romulus and you are a rom/fed and your in the sol system, You have to go through multiple systems in order to get there and some systems, like the current patrol systems, that when you warped in you would have to battle nausicans, or thoians or even BORG. Each system you travel to depending on the factions border line has a chance to spawn enemy ships and the Deeper you go into that factions territory the more ships there is guarding the system. Transwarp would remain the same and the transwarp to the system for a mission would remain the same just a diff system setup to enter that separate instance.

Sounds more like the leapfrog setup of Wing Commander's Jump Drives. Which is nothing like how Warp Drive functions. The game is not set up for something like this with random encounters, and sounds far more complicated than it needs to be.
    MINING:
    Mining for instance you could say actually mine trilithium and Dilithium and other lithium's of the STO universe. Heck you could even go so far as make mining for all the raw crafting resources if need be.

And... how is this any different from the current gathering method other than we don't have full blown mines for it?
    FLEET WARS:
    Fleet wars would Bring back PvP on a fleet scale. You still have PvP say like 15 levels higher or lower than you but that's if you go out to look for people. PvP system in itself needs this revamp to bring back PvP. However there would be safe zones to all NUTRAL locations like DS9, Drozana, Sol, Qonos, Deffera, ECT. basically anything were any faction and play in the same map would be considered safe zones that you could not attack the other faction.

I feel like this would just give a green light to ganking players who aren't wanting to PvP. While you'd find a few people who would be in favor of a revamp for PvP... STO is far more of a PvE game, and not everyone wants to PvP. And with the way the game is right now... there is no PvP balance. No separate stats between PvE and PvP. So those builds that can melt Tactical Cubes with MILLIONS of HP will absolutely oblierate anything a player has.
    FAME SYSTEM:
    This would be an ENTIRELY new system brought into the game. It would work like a bounty system. Here is a scenario, If you lets say kill 20 people consecutively in X amount of minutes, then you get a bounty put on you where others can try and kill you REGAURDLESS of faction alignment. If you continue to kill while having a bounty on your head the bounty to kill you goes up but you as the killer gain bonus XP. For example every 10 kills after the 20 kill bounty in X amount of time lets say you get a 10% increase in XP and EC so lets say normally you get 100% XP and EC and you get 70 kills in X amount of time you then get 150% increase in XP and EC until someone kills you.

So a PvP rep system in a way. Again... same as the previous point, there are fundimental issues with PvP, and again, this game is more of a PvE game. It just feels like a way to force PvP on everyone to me and... this is not EVE.
    DOFFS:
    Doffs is another thing that has almost died off recently. Combine this with the new space travel system and you would have to go to each system, Kill any enemy that's there if there's any, and do doffs like normal. EACH system you go to would act like the sectors in the current sector space system. This could potently open up the ability to say Go to a nebula and ACUALLY be in a nebula to be able to get a chain Doff mission.

Sounds clunkier than what we have now.
    OTHER:
    The other things like inventory, ship builds, Research, Reputation, Basically any of those smaller systems would virtually remain the same. However on the topic of ship builds I would like to see MODULAR ships. You buy a frame of the ship you want to use and you kit it out with parts to get exactly what you want. This ship build system would accommodate this ENTIRE new gameplay really well. You could make the ship look like an old rust bucket with High end parts.

Sounds more like a recipe to make the USS UBERSHIP TO RULE ALL. One of the draws of STO is the flexability to build the way that fits your playstyle. Making a modular ship where you can basically tailor it to what you want basically begs for abuse. Different ships behave differently in STO. As it should be honestly. Under your proposed Modular Ship system... you could have an Odyssey RAIDER with a battle cloak, 5 tac consoles, Raider Flanking...

So I have to say an absolute NO on the modular ships because its way to open for abuse and, lets face it, if players were able to they'd probably make an uber build on a Connie if they could because USS Enterprise. And you can already fly an old ship with high end parts. It just won't have your exact preferred or meta console/weapons set up. And honestly I feel like it would actually mean LESS ships sales because why bother experimenting with other ships if you have the USS Ubership already AND it looks like any ship you want it to be?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Odds are the only response you'll really get is that if you want something like EVE, go play EVE.

OK look do you want the game to eventually die, and it will eventually if cryptic doesn't change there tactics.

Part of the reason STO was so popular say 10 years ago was because it was one of the very FEW PvP games that actually gave good PvP rewards. When Cryptic Got rid of that system TONS OF PEOPLE quit playing. Cryptic NEEDS to do something to bring PvP back even if it is the old system. Furthermore ALOT more people left when they got rid of the foundry. EVERYONE LOVED THE FOUNDERY, I myself spent HOURS creating training missions that encompassed both space and ground combat for for every enemy NPC. I understand that they got rid of the foundry because the people that managed it was no longer with the company, HOWEVER that was a HORIBBILE move as all those people that spent HOURS creating content quit playing because they ENJOYED creating content for others to play, I myself am one of the few that quit playing for a VERY long time after they removed the foundry, I just got back to playing and I am honestly not impressed by ANY of the recent updates. PART of what made STO BIG AND GREAT was the foundry and the PvP Rewards for winning a PvP match. They bring those back and they would bring back an ENTIRE player base to the game. Will they do it, Probably not because all they are looking at is how to cut costs to keep STO running as long as possible. STO HAS WHALES that just dump tons of money a month into the game. THEY HAVE THE MONEY to create a Better foundry and a BETTER PvP rewards system without it being a reputation requirement. What cryptic has failed to realize is that the more people they lose the less money they make. If they bring those 2 systems back and revamp them hard people would come back AND SPEND MONEY. I myself would LOVE to be able to create content again as that was part of STO's Charm and I would love to see PvP be as it once was when you win a match against other players you got highly rewarded because they were actual players. This whole PvE PvP reputation system is TERRIBLE because there is no high reward and it doesn't give players a incentive to continue playing PvP once the reputation is full. Heck MOST people just join a random que and get the extra mark box you can open and get the competitive marks that way because playing the PvE PvP ques are really not worth playing because there isn't a high reward like the old PvP system had. You want people to play PvP you have to make it WELL REWARDING for there time to do so.

SO CRYPITC DEVS, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, remember what I said because if you want to fix the flaws in the lacking PvP and general Content issues, I gave you 2 REALLY good reasons that would bring people back to your game.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

OK look do you want the game to eventually die, and it will eventually if cryptic doesn't change there tactics.

Part of the reason STO was so popular say 10 years ago was because it was one of the very FEW PvP games that actually gave good PvP rewards. When Cryptic Got rid of that system TONS OF PEOPLE quit playing. Cryptic NEEDS to do something to bring PvP back even if it is the old system. Furthermore ALOT more people left when they got rid of the foundry. EVERYONE LOVED THE FOUNDERY, I myself spent HOURS creating training missions that encompassed both space and ground combat for for every enemy NPC. I understand that they got rid of the foundry because the people that managed it was no longer with the company, HOWEVER that was a HORIBBILE move as all those people that spent HOURS creating content quit playing because they ENJOYED creating content for others to play, I myself am one of the few that quit playing for a VERY long time after they removed the foundry, I just got back to playing and I am honestly not impressed by ANY of the recent updates. PART of what made STO BIG AND GREAT was the foundry and the PvP Rewards for winning a PvP match. They bring those back and they would bring back an ENTIRE player base to the game. Will they do it, Probably not because all they are looking at is how to cut costs to keep STO running as long as possible. STO HAS WHALES that just dump tons of money a month into the game. THEY HAVE THE MONEY to create a Better foundry and a BETTER PvP rewards system without it being a reputation requirement. What cryptic has failed to realize is that the more people they lose the less money they make. If they bring those 2 systems back and revamp them hard people would come back AND SPEND MONEY. I myself would LOVE to be able to create content again as that was part of STO's Charm and I would love to see PvP be as it once was when you win a match against other players you got highly rewarded because they were actual players. This whole PvE PvP reputation system is TERRIBLE because there is no high reward and it doesn't give players a incentive to continue playing PvP once the reputation is full. Heck MOST people just join a random que and get the extra mark box you can open and get the competitive marks that way because playing the PvE PvP ques are really not worth playing because there isn't a high reward like the old PvP system had. You want people to play PvP you have to make it WELL REWARDING for there time to do so.

SO CRYPITC DEVS, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, remember what I said because if you want to fix the flaws in the lacking PvP and general Content issues, I gave you 2 REALLY good reasons that would bring people back to your game.

Also ADDING a fame system of sorts with the revamped High reward PvP would definitely bring PvP back into play and actually make it REALLY worth it. As long as its EXTREAMLY rewarding to the player base for PvP and a higher reward than the regular high PvP reward to kill someone with a bounty on there head and if you have the bounty on your head you get a bonus of some sort until someone collects the bounty on your head. Of course the bounty would expire after X amount of time not being played that way people can just get a bounty on one of there toons and never play it so they never get killed. Keeps them coming back and competing to get high rewards for the one being hunted and gives other PvP people a chance to collect the bounty that is put on someone from X amount of kills in X amount of minutes and the more kills before someone collects the bounty the higher the bounty payout.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Also ADDING a fame system of sorts with the revamped High reward PvP would definitely bring PvP back into play and actually make it REALLY worth it. As long as its EXTREAMLY rewarding to the player base for PvP and a higher reward than the regular high PvP reward to kill someone with a bounty on there head and if you have the bounty on your head you get a bonus of some sort until someone collects the bounty on your head. Of course the bounty would expire after X amount of time not being played that way people can just get a bounty on one of there toons and never play it so they never get killed. Keeps them coming back and competing to get high rewards for the one being hunted and gives other PvP people a chance to collect the bounty that is put on someone from X amount of kills in X amount of minutes and the more kills before someone collects the bounty the higher the bounty payout.

But I digress. Cryptic would Rather MILK the WHALES than actually spend money that would bring people back that would spend money.

There is an old saying, "You can't make money, if you don't spend money."

In this case, "You can't get people to spend money, if you don't spend money to bring back some of the older systems, but heavily revamped, and add new systems to ECOURAGE continuation of those systems, that made STO great in its day."
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Regarding idea #1 “Space Travel. There was a system like this at launch. The random sector-space encounters would pull you in when you passed them. The first iteration of the Red Alert system where you got messages about red alerts in sector space was similar too. I don’t think going back to earlier iterations of the game is a good idea.

That being said, if the foundry could be brought back even in a limited or augmented form, that could be cool.
    But I can understand the developers argument about it breaking too much to maintain. They can’t even keep people sitting in cutscenes. Virtually every update brings new or reanimates old bugs. I don’t think the team is capable of making any revolutionary systems in this stage of the games’s dotage.

I also don’t know what you are talking about PVP rewards. I do not remember any unique PVP rewards in STO—ever. And the “PVP” reputation, as you call it, was never linked to PVP. Playing PVP awards No reputation marks and never has.

And furthermore, STO has more players and participation across the platforms now than it did 10 years ago—just by virtue of it being available on more platforms. Remember PC users are now the minority of STO players. So I am not sure how you judge “popularity,” but I would imagine—more players means STO is probably more popular today than it was at launch.

And again I am in favor of new systems. I would like bridges and interiors. I would prefer if ships were not stuck in the “upright position” and could really navigate in 3 dimensions. If I were dreaming I would want customized beaming effects, a replacement for the exploration system (which may utilize some ideas that you are talking about like random battle encounters), I would like either a true 3rd faction or actual universal access to all items regardless of the Fed/Klingon division. But I don’t think the game will be more popular if these things are added.

The Star Trek IP is attractive to a certain gaming population. But I don’t think all Trekies are gamers. The pretty casual nature of STO is probably better suited to Trekers than gamers. STO is probably well-suited for its niche.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    qultuq wrote: »
    Regarding idea #1 “Space Travel. There was a system like this at launch. The random sector-space encounters would pull you in when you passed them. The first iteration of the Red Alert system where you got messages about red alerts in sector space was similar too. I don’t think going back to earlier iterations of the game is a good idea.

That being said, if the foundry could be brought back even in a limited or augmented form, that could be cool.
    But I can understand the developers argument about it breaking too much to maintain. They can’t even keep people sitting in cutscenes. Virtually every update brings new or reanimates old bugs to the game. I don’t think the team is capable of making any revolutionary systems in this stage of the games’s dotage.

I also don’t know what you are talking about PVP rewards. I do not remember any unique PVP rewards in STO—ever. And the “PVP” reputation, as you call it, was never linked to PVP. Playing PVP awards No reputation marks and never has.

And furthermore, STO has more players and participation across the platforms now than it did 10 years ago—just by virtue of it being available on more platforms. Remember PC users are now the minority of STO players. So I am not sure how you judge “popularity,” but I would imagine—more players means STO is probably more popular today than it was at launch.

I never said PvP gave marks I said PvP gave high rewards back in its day that made it worth it. Furthermore I know STO WAY more popular now than it was 10 years ago because of the cross platform. As for the foundry, Ya it caused more issues than it was worth but the way I understand it there was only a few people that ACUALLY KNEW how it worked which tells me it was coded in a way only a few people understood. They could bring back the foundry by revamping it and making it a universal code that any dev could manage. Cryptic's failing was not changing the code into a easier to read and use way for any dev to understand. If it had a universal coding so ALL DEVS understood it then it would be easier to understand and WAY FEWER BUGS. You will always have bugs with that sort of thing that's guaranteed because coding is a tricky business. That doesn't mean you get rid of an ENTIRE system just because it was difficult to manage and you didn't want to revamp it to make it more universal so there was way fewer bugs in every update.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    qultuq wrote: »

But I can understand the developers argument about it breaking too much to maintain. They can’t even keep people sitting in cutscenes. Virtually every update brings new or reanimates old bugs to the game. I don’t think the team is capable of making any revolutionary systems in this stage of the games’s dotage.

I never said PvP gave marks I said PvP gave high rewards back in its day that made it worth it. Furthermore I know STO WAY more popular now than it was 10 years ago because of the cross platform. As for the foundry, Ya it caused more issues than it was worth but the way I understand it there was only a few people that ACUALLY KNEW how it worked which tells me it was coded in a way only a few people understood. They could bring back the foundry by revamping it and making it a universal code that any dev could manage. Cryptic's failing was not changing the code into a easier to read and use way for any dev to understand. If it had a universal coding so ALL DEVS understood it then it would be easier to understand and WAY FEWER BUGS. You will always have bugs with that sort of thing that's guaranteed because coding is a tricky business. That doesn't mean you get rid of an ENTIRE system just because it was difficult to manage and you didn't want to revamp it to make it more universal so there was way fewer bugs in every update.

HELL they could even revamp it so much and code it so UNIVERSALLY that the consul players could make content for there platforms. Coding has ONLY gotten better in the last 10 years to make it almost virtually Universal. I know this because my mom codes for a collage for a living.
  • Options
    wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    edited October 2021
    A few things:
    — The game is in no danger whatsoever of "dying" just because it doesn't have features you think it should. Doom threads are an FCT topic; there will be no further discussion.
    — You're not asking for new features. You're effectively asking for an entirely new game from the engine up.
    — Bumping threads is against Community Rules & Policies, under the "Spamming" heading.
    — The reasons the Foundry was decommissioned are well-documented and an FCT topic; there will be no further discussion on this per forum rules.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
This discussion has been closed.