test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Seeker Drones and Support Drones are now Exocomps.

2»

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Its not just 1 TFO and 1 mission. They are showing up all over and many of the other different types of drones are showing up as Exocomps as well which is a bit of a problem. I am in Nukara right now and have Exocomps. They are everywhere so I can see why someone thinks its a bit of an obsession.

The Exocomps are nice in the mission and TFO but replacing other drones with Exocomps is going way to far. The old models are way better as well. This is another change to make QoL worse. Stick a worse model in that blocks the camera and make it so we cannot tell all the drones apart from each other which is essential on a drone build. I really hope this is a bug that gets fixed fast and not another bad design move.
    Except the old drones were always exocomps, they even had EXO written on the side to hammer in that fact. So there are no more exocomps out there then there was before.

Not always, they were sphere-shaped in the beginning (like the KDF ones). However yes, the EXOCOMP likeness was definitely intentional. However, I also don't think having those non-sapient drones be EXOCOMPs makes a lot of sense. And it's definitely unintentional that unrelated droes turned into those as well.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Its not just 1 TFO and 1 mission. They are showing up all over and many of the other different types of drones are showing up as Exocomps as well which is a bit of a problem. I am in Nukara right now and have Exocomps. They are everywhere so I can see why someone thinks its a bit of an obsession.

The Exocomps are nice in the mission and TFO but replacing other drones with Exocomps is going way to far. The old models are way better as well. This is another change to make QoL worse. Stick a worse model in that blocks the camera and make it so we cannot tell all the drones apart from each other which is essential on a drone build. I really hope this is a bug that gets fixed fast and not another bad design move.
    Except the old drones were always exocomps, they even had EXO written on the side to hammer in that fact. So there are no more exocomps out there then there was before.
    That incorrect many of them didn't have exo written on them as multiple people have pointed out none drones are now showing as Exocomps, Weapon platforms are now Exocomps, Xindi drone stuff that had its own Xindi matching unique graphics are now Exocomps and more none Exocomps drones are now Exocomps. They are all over. Its gone way to far. That's why the other person called it an obsession as its like a dev went crazy on an obsession replacing asset after asset with Exocomps. Its not just that they added a worse modal from a gameplay point of view for Exocomps its that they turned so many none Exocomps drones into Exocomps including things that make no sense like weapom platforms.
  • Options
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > The circle ones were what? Pre season 4?
    >
    > It makes sense if not all Exocomps are sentient. The Federation still uses non sapient holograms in jobs in STO, despite the existence of actual sapient holograms as well. In fact, I think the Path to 2409 actually covers this, with Federation laws only applying to holograms, and other AI, that can show sapience, and not just all holograms/AI as a default. So any Exocomp that hasn't shown sapience would still be treated like the drone it is, like they were previously with the seeker and support drones being obviously Exocomps.
    >
    > And yeah, any other drones that got changed beyond the two groups of the seeker and support drones is an obvious error.

Yeah I think Crossfire introduced the 'XO' - comps. And those have always been treated as Exocomps according to the flavour text. HOWEVER, and that is just my personal thing, their look was distinct enough from the ones we got to know as sapient, and since LD they can even talk. Which is why the disposable drones get the canon Exocomp-look is a bit weird in my book. I'd have preferred getting a chatty Exocomp as a new pet and keep the older ones to look 'different' 😁 Especially since newer fans probably see Peanut Hamper in LD and then wonder why we send them to their deaths causally 😜
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > I would think after seeing Peanut Hamper in LD players would WANT to casually send them to their deaths.

My point. Then the ability should get a 75% chance of our drone noping the F out and leaving us to die at the hands of the enemy 😂
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    If they're not sentient why try and make them into something they aren't? They don't talk, they don't need little flapper things or antennae that are indicative of higher functionality, but are just a weapon or support platform. It doesn't necessarily make sense.

Just my opinion but they should have left them the way they were.

Some might think that the slimmer, sleeker, smaller model we had was a more modern and appealing design and that this is actually a step backwards.

If the change was based on something seen in a cartoon perhaps it should be limited and unique to whatever it is they have planned that awards a Peanut pet?
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    😁 Especially since newer fans probably see Peanut Hamper in LD and then wonder why we send them to their deaths causally 😜
    I would think after seeing Peanut Hamper in LD players would WANT to casually send them to their deaths.

Naw, I'd wanna learn her escape methods. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Whether the engineer drones were always Exocomps and should get the updated model or not is irrelevant - they're too damn big and need to be shrunk.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    The KDF support and seeker drones weren't changed :+1:
  • Options
    lillen80lillen80 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    Sadly, I think we're stuck with them either we like them or not.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    I'd prefer the Exocomp's mostly limited to Operation Wolf, so they are different from your Seeker or Support Drone's. Cause you want to know in FACT 'which is which' rather than confuse them, there also supposed to be Sentient -- unlike Seeker or Support Drones are not, so Exocomps should be highly protected more similar to your crew!

I do like we get a Exocomp Duty Officer, which is very nice though.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I always enjoyed the differing and varied styles from the Kits/BOFF's...now though, I swear, there is this one Exocomp that flies right behind my toon's head and blocks my view! They're too big and aren't support drones, seekers...they're EXOCOMPS and they're inappropriate.
This discussion has been closed.