test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO subreddit set to private?

evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
edited August 2021 in Ten Forward
The STO subreddit seems to have been set to private over night, does anyone know why?

Mc3nOmg.jpg
Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
eaY7Xxu.png
Post edited by evilmark444 on

Comments

  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I heard it is only intended to remain so for 24-hours and it is iin protest of Reddit not doing enough to counter anti-corona information.

    Apparently, for those who can access the site, the forum moderators say they are standing in solidarity with other Star Trek subreddits.

    I don’t have access to the page either. I heard people talking about it on Reddit chat. So I cannot verify any of the information except to show that this is part of a Reddit-wide movement:

    https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/kotaku.com/pokemon-gos-reddit-goes-dark-in-protest-against-site-in-1847583078/amp
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    I heard it is only intended to remain so for 24-hours and it is iin protest of Reddit not doing enough to counter anti-corona information.

    Apparently, for those who can access the site, the forum moderators say they are standing in solidarity with other Star Trek subreddits.

    I don’t have access to the page either. I heard people talking about it on Reddit chat. So I cannot verify any of the information except to show that this is part of a Reddit-wide movement:

    https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/kotaku.com/pokemon-gos-reddit-goes-dark-in-protest-against-site-in-1847583078/amp

    Ah ok, good to know, tbh I was a little scared that I'd been banned for some reason.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I hope it does come back tomorrow. Otherwise what will I read all day? Real news? The fluff they put out at Trek Movie? I shutter at the near thought of it....

    Star Trek dot com said the different TOS badges are not individual starships but rather divisions like Star base and merchant marines. I don’t buy it. How does that help to explain the Bonadventure badge from TAS, or the Epsilon IX badges in TMP? They obviously didn’t get the memo I guess.

    https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www.startrek.com/article/starfleet-insignia-explained?amp
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,143 Community Moderator
    edited August 2021
    I heard the Pokemon Go one did the same.

    As for the badges... there is a document that clearly explains it. While it is in the article brought up by qultug, I'll post it here for easier access.
    1cb282b0ffc145511cd196b53f32ea8c.jpg?itok=Wk0j2SZQ
    Bonadventure could have been an art mistake, since its animated. The Epsilon IX badges... were basically at the point where Starfleet switched to just adopting the Delta insignia for the entire service. We see Starfleet officers in later shows and movies all wearing the Starfleet Delta, despite being assigned to stations or even Starfleet Headquarters itself. The practice of using different insignias on uniforms fell off after TOS in favor of one standard for all of Starfleet.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    'Please make certain that they 'were' the proper emblem' - he spent all that time trying to sound like a pompous TRIBBLE that he didn't bother to proofread.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

    #LegalizeAwoo

    A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"


    "It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    'Please make certain that they 'were' the proper emblem' - he spent all that time trying to sound like a pompous TRIBBLE that he didn't bother to proofread.​​
    Well, he also said that he'd settle for a "carven" apology (as opposed to "craven").

    But yeah, I'd read a couple days ago that several Reddits had gone private because the company was doing precisely zip to counter a flood of SARS-CoV-2 misinformation being poured all over them (even in places where one would think such things had no business being, like the Star Trek and STO boards!). Not sure if this is a temporary measure or if there's a procedure to join them now, as Reddit never was my cuppa.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,143 Community Moderator
    According to one news source I read on my iPad, the CEO himself basically said that they won't do squat to curb it because "its ok to disagree".
    Misinformation is not disagreeing. It can be lethal. I mean how many people now think a horse deworming drug is a viable treatment for Corona? And lets not get started on all the armchair scientists who think they know more than the ACTUAL scientists. *glares at politicians trying to turn every frakking thing into political weapons*

    Ok... I've vented a bit. I'm good now.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    According to one news source I read on my iPad, the CEO himself basically said that they won't do squat to curb it because "its ok to disagree".
    Misinformation is not disagreeing. It can be lethal. I mean how many people now think a horse deworming drug is a viable treatment for Corona? And lets not get started on all the armchair scientists who think they know more than the ACTUAL scientists. *glares at politicians trying to turn every frakking thing into political weapons*

    Ok... I've vented a bit. I'm good now.

    All that matters is if a drug works. If scientists prove that a horse deworming drug can cure or at least help people with COVID-19, then it is better to have more weapons in our arsenal for dealing with this pandemic instead of immediately dismissing a drug because it is used by horses. However, it is up to the scientific process to show that the drug works not armchair scientists.

    Also, I have a problem with certain organizations censoring 'misinformation' since 'misinformation' is sometimes proven to be true like COVID-19 might have been created in a lab instead of from some Chinese citizen eating an infected animal. Censorship is just a way of protecting certain groups of people from criticism. Everyone should be able to say what they want and be criticized for what they have said.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    like COVID-19 might have been created in a lab instead of from some Chinese citizen eating an infected animal.

    >Implying that both can't be correct.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

    #LegalizeAwoo

    A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"


    "It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    According to one news source I read on my iPad, the CEO himself basically said that they won't do squat to curb it because "its ok to disagree".
    Misinformation is not disagreeing. It can be lethal. I mean how many people now think a horse deworming drug is a viable treatment for Corona? And lets not get started on all the armchair scientists who think they know more than the ACTUAL scientists. *glares at politicians trying to turn every frakking thing into political weapons*

    Ok... I've vented a bit. I'm good now.

    All that matters is if a drug works. If scientists prove that a horse deworming drug can cure or at least help people with COVID-19, then it is better to have more weapons in our arsenal for dealing with this pandemic instead of immediately dismissing a drug because it is used by horses. However, it is up to the scientific process to show that the drug works not armchair scientists.

    Also, I have a problem with certain organizations censoring 'misinformation' since 'misinformation' is sometimes proven to be true like COVID-19 might have been created in a lab instead of from some Chinese citizen eating an infected animal. Censorship is just a way of protecting certain groups of people from criticism. Everyone should be able to say what they want and be criticized for what they have said.
    Scientists have proved that a horse-deworming drug does not work for SARS-CoV-2; while some mild effectiveness was found in a petri dish, the amount needed to achieve the same mild effect in a human is approximately 100 times the LD50 (the dosage at which half the subjects are expected to die from it). Further, it is completely useless as a prophylactic, which is the usage propounded online, meaning victims of this scam are wasting money and poisoning themselves for no valid reason at all. (Meanwhile, there are at least three vaccines readily available in the US, any one of which has been proved between 60 and 85% effective at preventing infection with SARS-CoV-2, 99% effective at preventing hospitalization, and so far about 100% effective at preventing death from the disease, while causing minimal side effects.)

    The misinformation you provide about possible lab creation of SARS-CoV-2 has been debunked numerous times by virologists, molecular biologists, and organic chemists; it lives only because it's pushed by social media, with all scientific explanation shorn away. With rising tensions over the artificial islands in the South China Sea, by means of which China seeks to expand how far offshore they can legally control, spreading this misinformation falls under the same heading as falsely shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater, something the Supreme Court weighed in on a while back (Schenck v. United States, 1919), as it has a tendency to stir up strong emotions in the uninformed.

    Further, the concept of "censorship" scarcely applies to private business; the First Amendment to the US Constitution means that the government can't arrest you for what you say. xkcd, I think, says it best:
    free-speech-2x.png
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,143 Community Moderator
    If I had to guess... they just wanted to cause a scene somewhere public. They don't really care about where as long as there's a lot of people. And in some cases they probably want to fearmonger somewhere connected to what they're protesting.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    Daystrom institute said one of the subreddits r/NoNewNormal has been banned. So I think the protest is or was at least somewhat successful. But I have not really researched beyond the two sources I have provided here.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/pg5lkd/rnonewnormal_has_been_banned/
Sign In or Register to comment.