test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone have any clue what the heck this black gash is?

legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
Saw this after starting All that Glitters...it was not there the last time I did the mission, because I would remember something THAT unique.

screenshot-2021-08-21-22-29-37.jpg

It almost looks like something is...EATING the gas and dust that make up that nebula.​​
Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
"We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
Passion and Serenity are one.
I gain power by understanding both.
In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
The Force is united within me.

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I think its a region Voyager crossed known as The Void.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Void_(region)
    "The Void" was the name given by the crew of USS Voyager to a vast region in the Delta Quadrant where no star systems existed within 2,500 light years, and where all light from beyond was occluded from sensors by heavy concentrations of theta radiation.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    I was under the impression that region was the gap between two of the Milky Way's arms, which shouldn't be so rough and irregular.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Doesn't say anything about it being between two arms. Just... a void.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Doesn't say anything about it being between two arms. Just... a void.

To get from where they were back to the Federation they would have had to pass though at least one and possibly several inter-arm areas of very low density of stars. During the episode I got the impression that they were crossing an inter-arm gap but it had the added weirdness of the theta radiation zone that was not practical to go around.

It makes sense that they might choose to enter the radiation field rather than try to go around since in an area without many stars and very little interstellar gas to scoop up the rotgut they were having so much trouble with in the first season they would have to rely entirely on their fuel tanks to get them across, and they may have been cutting it close by the time they encountered the field.
  • Options
    The problem is they make no mention of going between arms at all. The episode in question literally just says that its a region with no light, or stars, or systems, or anything at all. Just... empty.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Night_(episode)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The problem is they make no mention of going between arms at all. The episode in question literally just says that its a region with no light, or stars, or systems, or anything at all. Just... empty.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Night_(episode)
    They also found a crack in an event horizon, which is more a mathematical abstraction than a physical object, so weirdly this is one instance in which we can't even count on the treknobabble explanations being correct... :smirk:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    That gash could've been where the foundry and exploration missions were before they were removed from STO... ripped the mapped areas right out of it.

Old salties aside, who knows, maybe it was there for effect, maybe something is/ was supposed to come up through it. maybe it's just a unique shadow they made and ended up having no real use for. Maybe it's the pitchy black center of the universal Tootsie Pop, i mean the Milky way is lollipop spiraled. just random ideas lol
    The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    That gash could've been where the foundry and exploration missions were before they were removed from STO... ripped the mapped areas right out of it.

lol it was there when Delta Rising launched, so long before that.

Anyways as I said, I still feel like this is a reference to the Void Voyager passed through on her journey during the episode Night. Don't forget that the region we have of the Delta Quadrant is supposed to be the path Voyager took.