test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I am really looking forward to Sompek next week :)

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
This is my character Le Cutest of Borg. I really enjoy Sompek because it gives me a chance to assimilate lots of enemies, especially big bad ones.

I am looking forward to another Sompek run next week, so if you see me in your group feel free to say hello :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    I don't.

Maybe it could be interesting to play it again if we could really play it. But with the regular version disabled, it's nothing but a metrics-booster that isn't even fun for people to participate in.

They just want you to log into a mission. But they don't even really want or allow you to be playing it. It's moronic.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Players who want the quick version could always play that anyway. The limited time edition never allowed you to get very far so it was perfect for those who wanted to just quickly get the event progress.

They could have even added the max 7-rounds one and still keep the regular version active. Instead they chose to create an event around a mission - but also decided to disable that same mission for those who really want to play it.

In what universe does that make sense? To entice your players to log on for a special mission and then deny them access to it?

I loved a nice Sompek run every now and then with a random team and see how far you could get, but this kind of BS decision making really took the fun out of it.
    Outside of events, almost no one plays it, during events where it's supposed to be featured, we can't play it.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Not everyone wants to push Sompek as far as they can for an event. Hell... in the majority of runs I was in before they implimented the event version, it was QUITE common for people to just call for doing the minimum needed to do the event, then either suicide or get killed so as to finish the event run early.

Some people didn't want that, and now we have the normal version available all year, like those people wanted. The Event version is strictly in response to the fact that the majority of the playerbase just wanted to get enough for the shiny and drop out without having to try and play a TFO that could last upwards of an hour or so.

So...
    In what universe does that make sense?

The answer is actually quite simple. In the universe of the majority of the playerbase calling for it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    Players who want the quick version could always play that anyway. The limited time edition never allowed you to get very far so it was perfect for those who wanted to just quickly get the event progress.

They could have even added the max 7-rounds one and still keep the regular version active. Instead they chose to create an event around a mission - but also decided to disable that same mission for those who really want to play it.

In what universe does that make sense? To entice your players to log on for a special mission and then deny them access to it?

I loved a nice Sompek run every now and then with a random team and see how far you could get, but this kind of BS decision making really took the fun out of it.

Outside of events, almost no one plays it, during events where it's supposed to be featured, we can't play it.

Thank you for saying this.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    I'm not sure why they needed an event for this when we get this content in lockboxes every release that come with a no win scenario already included.

Not sure if they got the memo yet but TFO's and the battlezones in todays state of the game are pretty much played out. They need something different that hasn't been grinded into oblivion. So when people see time gate or something that auto completes itself regardless of the participation no one wants to play that. Just too much focus has been on pushing out ships that there literally is nothing to do with them that doesn't put people to sleep.
    While I enjoyed the longer version of Sompek, back when it was the one you played for the event, I do have to point out that you kinda answered your own question between your two posts.

The problem is that no one plays normal Sompek to begin with. While the idea of going up against randomly selected enemies, in an arena full of traps, is fun to people, those same people don't want to do it for more then 15 minutes or so. For the same reason they don't want to do other TFOs that last more then around 15 minutes. Most people are casuals who just want to log in, do something for a few minutes, and then log out. This is why the "5 and die" thing became so systemic in the original Sompek events, and why the current Sompek event is the way it is. Even if they included the longer Sompek in the event you would almost certainly be forced into playing the shorter event version anyways, because the number of people who want to play the longer Sompek is so low that the TFO can almost never get played normally. And for those people who accidentally wound up in the longer version by mistake, they would go back to the "5 and die" thing that permeated the old Sompek events, for the same reason they did it back then. They don't want to play it for that long to begin with.

Not only that but the point of events is to bring everyone together. You aren't going to offer up two versions of the event for the same reason you wouldn't put a ground/space filter on the RTFO menu. Its fundamentally defeatist to the point of the system.

People who want to play normal Sompek have all the year it isn't part of events to play it. The fact that pretty much no one does is pretty telling of how big the interest base for it is.

Except that, for the first events when the unlimited version was still available, it was very easy to get a random team to queue up for it. And really try to get as far as possible.

Until they disabled it.

rattler2 wrote: »
    Not everyone wants to push Sompek as far as they can for an event. Hell... in the majority of runs I was in before they implimented the event version, it was QUITE common for people to just call for doing the minimum needed to do the event, then either suicide or get killed so as to finish the event run early.

Some people didn't want that, and now we have the normal version available all year, like those people wanted. The Event version is strictly in response to the fact that the majority of the playerbase just wanted to get enough for the shiny and drop out without having to try and play a TFO that could last upwards of an hour or so.

So...

The answer is actually quite simple. In the universe of the majority of the playerbase calling for it.

But, as I already said since I expected this reply, there's no reason to disable the regular, unlimited version that was quite popular during the first iterations of the event.

They could just have added the 7-rounds version and let that run next to the unlimited version.

Besides providing evidence that the unlimited version was actually quite popular during events, we also know from those first events that it is perfectly possible to have two versions of the same TFO up at the same time. Cause we've had events where the unlimited and the 20 minute-version of the mission were up and available at the same time.

Simply exchange the 20 minute version for the 7 round version for everyone who just wants quick event progress and there's no need to remove the unlimited one.

I'm not sure why they needed an event for this when we get this content in lockboxes every release that come with a no win scenario already included.

Not sure if they got the memo yet but TFO's and the battlezones in todays state of the game are pretty much played out. They need something different that hasn't been grinded into oblivion. So when people see time gate or something that auto completes itself regardless of the participation no one wants to play that. Just too much focus has been on pushing out ships that there literally is nothing to do with them that doesn't put people to sleep.

We got some new content to be fair. And To Hell With Honor for example still seems quite popular. So I disagree with the notion that we didn't get new content that isn't played anymore either.

And ship developers are different people with different skills than content creators. Maybe they need more content creators and expand the team - there are rumours that the team has bled talent due to the development of other Cryptic games - but that has little to do with there being too much of a focus on ship development.

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Looking forward to it, but at the same time watching the performance in Terrok Nor earlier today with players filled with injuries i also fear Sompek.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Have to agree with previous comments on this. Sad fact is, there are demonstrably quite a few players who want something for nothing. They want the rewards but don't want to do anything much to 'earn' them. I'm sure most of us have encountered those players who just AFK the whole thing, even with the shortened version, or do the absolute bare minimum to count particiption.

If that were not the case, these 'TFO-lite' event versions wouldn't be necessary.

It's also got to be said that there are times when we can't commit to the full as-many-rounds-as-possible Sompek/Kobyashi Maru during an event. Life gets in the way, and if, say, I'm trying to squeeze in a round before work to get the event credit, I'd like to know there was a finite number of rounds to get there.

Tho I agree, both finite and full should be offered for those who want to commit. Wasn't it like that last year?
  • faxmachine#9639 faxmachine Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    While I enjoyed the longer version of Sompek, back when it was the one you played for the event, I do have to point out that you kinda answered your own question between your two posts.

The problem is that no one plays normal Sompek to begin with. While the idea of going up against randomly selected enemies, in an arena full of traps, is fun to people, those same people don't want to do it for more then 15 minutes or so. For the same reason they don't want to do other TFOs that last more then around 15 minutes. Most people are casuals who just want to log in, do something for a few minutes, and then log out. This is why the "5 and die" thing became so systemic in the original Sompek events, and why the current Sompek event is the way it is. Even if they included the longer Sompek in the event you would almost certainly be forced into playing the shorter event version anyways, because the number of people who want to play the longer Sompek is so low that the TFO can almost never get played normally. And for those people who accidentally wound up in the longer version by mistake, they would go back to the "5 and die" thing that permeated the old Sompek events, for the same reason they did it back then. They don't want to play it for that long to begin with.

Not only that but the point of events is to bring everyone together. You aren't going to offer up two versions of the event for the same reason you wouldn't put a ground/space filter on the RTFO menu. Its fundamentally defeatist to the point of the system.

People who want to play normal Sompek have all the year it isn't part of events to play it. The fact that pretty much no one does is pretty telling of how big the interest base for it is.

Except that, for the first events when the unlimited version was still available, it was very easy to get a random team to queue up for it. And really try to get as far as possible.

Until they disabled it.

you are right on this, good job!
This discussion has been closed.