test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New reputation this summer?

2»

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    edited August 2021
    Pretty sure one of those examples is the Necron. The Borg and Dr. Who's Cybermen are probably hybrid versions of this.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it all stems from the basic story of the AI/Robot uprising ala Terminator or I, Robot. The idea of AI rising up against its creators has been around for decades, probably ever since computers were first developed. And it makes for good story, hence the sheer number of variations we have on it.
    Hell... Battlestar Galactica, both versions, had an artificial antagonist. Just the origins were different, TOS having the Cylons being the servants of reptilian masters, and rebood having the Cylons actually developed by humans. And in Mass Effect we not only had the Reapers, but we had the whole Quarian/Geth situation that we'd resolve.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    It's been around since BEFORE computers existed - or at least it's been around since the very earliest models all the way back before WW2...Asimov's stuff is a good century or more old, and we all know what he's famous for with regards to AI.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
This discussion has been closed.