test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Star Trek movie director announced

khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
edited July 2021 in Ten Forward
Your pain runs deep.
Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
Post edited by khan5000 on

Comments

• Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I can only hope this isn't a continuation of the JJ-Verse. I hope that died with how progressively awful his films were.

I'd like a new cast, new premise and something great. Star Trek films don't need Kirk and the Enterprise and a DS9 film, or a Voyager-esque one...and I'd love it, but I'm not asking for the original casts; just a new and interesting direction.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Eh... Justin Lin did a pretty good job with Beyond. 2k9 was actually pretty good. Into Darkness... not quite as good, and they could have said SOMETHING about why Khan looked English rather than Indian. Not knocking Cumberbatch for his take on Khan, he did very well. It just needed a line dropped in about his appearance in the movie rather than in a tie in comic that not everyone can get their hands on.

I have no problem with the Kelvin Timeline. It does allow for exploring things a bit more without being tied down by what came before since it is an Alternate Reality. Just as Spock said in 2k9...
    KT Spock wrote:
    Whatever our lives might have been, if the time continuum was disrupted, our destinies have changed.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    The reason Beyond was considered a failure was not anything having to do with the the film itself, it was better than the first two in a lot of ways in fact. Instead, it was the serious drop in domestic box office (especially on opening weekend) revenue (it did well enough in the foreign markets, in fact it set a few records). And that drop was due to the notoriously fickle nature of the action movie fans and unfortunate timing since they flocked to the other action movies like Suicide Squad that summer was jam-packed with.

Another thing that probably turned off some of the action movie fans was the fact that underneath the frenetic surface it was a deconstruction of traditional Trek, and deconstructions are naturally more intellectual. The thing is, the typical action movie fan does not want to think, they just want to go along for the thrill ride.