test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What should the next story arc be about?

Comments

• faxmachine#9639 faxmachine Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Would of made sense if Altan Soong was secretly Lore and he was leading the Synths to wipe out all life...but you know that would take knowledge of Trek and actual talent...instead they make him a Human who was willing to commit genocide for no reason at all

Then at a drop of a hat suddenly he doesn't want to commit genocide anymore...same as Data's clone
    Ahh yes, someone got Lore's body from Starfleet somehow, rebuilt him, and then he escaped. But no one knew about it, and Starfleet didn't care because reasons. Then he somehow got the knowledge, and materials, to make synths, despite not being that smart, or having those connections. And then spent years keeping them hidden because reasons, instead of using them to infiltrate and take over powerful groups, like he would need to if he planed to bring down the Federation/other galactic powers.

Yep, totally makes more sense then the two scientists, who were obsessed with Data, and had spent years looking into this kind of tech, making more Datas to see if they could make them better, and then trying to defend them when they got significant evidence that everyone in the galaxy was hellbent to exterminate them, and that someone had killed one of his "children". And then turned around when he got evidence that one of the synths was just being a crazy B, and was actually the one who killed the other synth to frame everyone else as being evil when they weren't.

It being Lore makes zero damn sense. That's not talent, thats cringe fan fiction.

if Discovery were not a show, and i suggested they make a show about spock's secret sister who everything revolved around because her mother was a secret time traveler you would say that was cringe fan fiction too. everything can sound dumb until it's properly fleshed out.

another thing. if you are going to post a thread asking for peoples thoughts and opinions for stories, maybe dont TRIBBLE all of over them?

its one thing to say you dont think something makes sense, but you dont have to be a complete TRIBBLE in the way you say it.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    It being Lore makes zero damn sense. That's not talent, thats cringe fan fiction.

IMHO, so was inventing his long lost estranged son...

But, making a new Borg storyline, facelifting and fixing Defera, making a cooperative playable faction...that would be incredible.

Right now the Cardassians are simply another...

The Cooperative on the other hand...

One thing they have said that we definitely will not see are the geometric shape Borg ships being playable....

The amount of work to get the Recruitments up to something near current standards....

I agree on the Cardassians, all I said is that during the Gamma arc, I felo like something like that could be coming.

About the amount of work, yeah, it wouldn't be something that could be done within a week, but in my opinion, it would not be more work than any other faction received, on the contrary, it could be a bit less (just please no Picard style Borg interiors) It understand it won't be the next story arc, but perhaps one after it? I think it might bring back some pleyers that got disinterested with the introduction of DSC stuff.

Geometric shaped ships? Well, the Probe would not have that problem that's why I noted it as the starting T4 or T5 scaling ship, and the Sphere, well, sure, just make an original T6 Zen Cooperative ship then.

They did completely revamp those episodes, released new Cardassian ships and had the lovely Andrew back...but it didn't go anywhere. We've got playable Cardassians, but you can't go to Cardassia and oh, but to have the Cardassian transporter effect :-(

It actually wouldn't be too difficult to give Cardassians "Empok Nor" as a command base. They could reuse the DS9 templates, but it be like the Romulans having the Flotilla or their Command.

You've got the players, the ships, the sets and the want of the people...so why not give the Bloody Cardies some love?
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    With Borg and Cardassian factions you can have redemption arcs, start off as a drone then freed by the cooperative regaining your humanity as a Borg.

As a Cardassian you can be a member of the Trueway who begins to get disillusioned with their movement and defects to either Starfleet or KDF.

While a Terran Empire Faction won't have a redemption arc, but would just be another alternate start for Feds, you kill your captain, board and kill your prime counterpart, fly through the portal and Lorca your way up through Starfleet's ranks plus everything's cool as long as no one finds out that you're from the MU.

Also would killing your alternate self be considered a form of suicide?
    With Borg and Cardassian factions you can have redemption arcs, start off as a drone then freed by the cooperative regaining your humanity as a Borg.

As a Cardassian you can be a member of the Trueway who begins to get disillusioned with their movement and defects to either Starfleet or KDF.

While a Terran Empire Faction won't have a redemption arc, but would just be another alternate start for Feds, you kill your captain, board and kill your prime counterpart, fly through the portal and Lorca your way up through Starfleet's ranks plus everything's cool as long as no one finds out that you're from the MU.

As a Cardassian, there are so many choices. Think of Gul Dukat's children...first their father was a decorated military officer, then worked for the Detapa Council, THEN was solely responsible for Cardassia joining the Dominion and finally becoming the equivalent of Satan.

The child of someone like that, like Garak...like SESKA. It was never stated, but I always assumed Seska was Obsidian Order, like Iliana. The novels about what Dukat did to the real Iliana were pretty shocking, but the idea of seeing disbanded members of the Order, or sleeper agents brought out after Cardassia had fallen would be pretty great.

You've got Cardassian scientists who were kept out of things and also people who worked with the Dominion, or were just collateral damage, like the housekeeper.

DS9 spent seven-years establishing them as a race, with touches of greatness in TNG and Voyager. It's such a shame just to leave them by the wayside.

I mean, we always knew there was a war between the Federation and Cardassia that happened off-screen, during or pre TNG, but we never saw anything of it...heard about it in Miles' horror stories, but they've been around for a while.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »

As a Cardassian, there are so many choices. Think of Gul Dukat's children...first their father was a decorated military officer, then worked for the Detapa Council, THEN was solely responsible for Cardassia joining the Dominion and finally becoming the equivalent of Satan.

The child of someone like that, like Garak...like SESKA. It was never stated, but I always assumed Seska was Obsidian Order, like Iliana. The novels about what Dukat did to the real Iliana were pretty shocking, but the idea of seeing disbanded members of the Order, or sleeper agents brought out after Cardassia had fallen would be pretty great.

You've got Cardassian scientists who were kept out of things and also people who worked with the Dominion, or were just collateral damage, like the housekeeper.

DS9 spent seven-years establishing them as a race, with touches of greatness in TNG and Voyager. It's such a shame just to leave them by the wayside.

I mean, we always knew there was a war between the Federation and Cardassia that happened off-screen, during or pre TNG, but we never saw anything of it...heard about it in Miles' horror stories, but they've been around for a while.

I like to think that they never did much with Cardassians and DS9 because they and the show were so well-written. Garak and Dukat are some of the most real and interesting characters in all of Star Trek.

Like you say, they were a species and culture that were carefully built up AND shown in great detail over a period of seven years - more than almost any other species (I'm guessing only Vulcans and Klingons and their homeworlds and cultures got more attention). It's very hard to do it justice.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    kayajay wrote: »

I like to think that they never did much with Cardassians and DS9 because they and the show were so well-written. Garak and Dukat are some of the most real and interesting characters in all of Star Trek.

Like you say, they were a species and culture that were carefully built up AND shown in great detail over a period of seven years - more than almost any other species (I'm guessing only Vulcans and Klingons and their homeworlds and cultures got more attention). It's very hard to do it justice.

Actually, I think the Cardassians got more. They're considered to be TNG's greatest enemy, but TNG introduced dozens of different species. Voyager too, but the Cardassians were on DS9's doorstep the entire time. It was a Cardassian space station and that there's been entire seasons about single episodes of Voyager, it does surprise me that Cardassians have been...intentionally overlooked?

The Kobali, the Voth, the Vaadwaur...they only ever appeared in just single episodes and yet, they got massive attention in STO. I'm not complaining! I'd rather years of arc were based on single episodes of Voyager than entire seasons of Discovery, but the Cardassians had years of effort and opportunity put into them.
    Well
    A. Conversation is not only about giving one's opinion, or ideas, but also having others respond to those ideas on why they think they would/wouldn't work. Conversation is not one sided. You don't just come in, drop your opinion, and then get some immunity to response.
    B. Lianthelia is a person known for going into threads, and trying to start drama through various means. I have no tolerance for them trying to do so in one of my threads.

your talking about of both sides of your mouth. in one breath you talk about a 'conversation' then in the next breath you call this 'your thread'. it doesnt work that way brother. its everyones thread. you are always always always tearing other people down and being super negative. its really not cool. and it really does not make people want to have a 'conversation' with you. please for the love of god stop being that way!
    your talking about of both sides of your mouth. in one breath you talk about a 'conversation' then in the next breath you call this 'your thread'. it doesnt work that way brother. its everyones thread.
    It actually does, the thread belongs to whoever made it. That has nothing to do with having a conversation. That's like saying a house doesn't belong to the person who owns it, just because you are hosting a meeting there. Yes it does.

wrong wrong wrong. you set the rules in your house. you get to decide who comes in your house. you dont control anything in this thread or any other. its not your thread. you have no ownership. every thread on a public forum is for everyone.

Most ideas, from most people, are bad, poorly thought out, and generally unusable. This is why I rarely suggest much in the way of new features/gameplay mechanics in the games I play. I tend to think about them a lot, and eventually realize how they wouldn't work, or work in the way I would imagine. If you are going to post an idea about something like that, you should expect others to do the same to your ideas.

That isn't being negative, or tearing people down, thats just pointing out facts, and trying to work on those ideas until they are either in a usable form, or its decided they fundamentally aren't usable. Not doing so, and just being "positive" all the time, isn't have a conversation, its just perpetuating a circle jerk, and an echo chamber. If you want that, there are plenty of places on the internet to get that. That however, is not what I am here for, nor what start my threads for.

Begin told no, and telling people no, isn't being negative, its being factual. I'm sorry that bothers you so much.

you have a really unfortunate idea of what a conversation is. a lot of times people share their ideas:

person 1: i want thing-X
    person 2: i want thing-Y
    person 3: i want thing-Z

all 3 want different things, and thats cool. thats not a circle jerk. a circle jerk is when everyone is just agreeing with each other people wanting different things is not a circle jerk.

but you are the person that wants to tell each of them why the thing they want is a bad idea. thats not your place. its up to the devs to decide what is a good idea or what is something they can use or isnt. people should just share the things they want and dont need your approval.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,497 Arc User
    edited May 2021

I agree on the Cardassians, all I said is that during the Gamma arc, I felo like something like that could be coming.
    Geometric shaped ships? Well, the Probe would not have that problem that's why I noted it as the starting T4 or T5 scaling ship, and the Sphere, well, sure, just make an original T6 Zen Cooperative ship then.

The funny thing is, if they would have had Cardassians (there are always collaborators who flee with the invaders when the invading armies are thrown out if they can) eligible for Gamma Recruits as an alternative to the horneytoads (though Vorta would have been much more appropriate) I would have bought the race unlock to do it with (though I would not have been happy about having to buy something to participate in the event).

A solution to the geometric problem that would make sense for the Cooperative would be to apply the aesthetics of some of the other star nations as they grow the "techno weeds" since they don't have the rigid homogenous Collective suppressing their sense of style and only going for the most efficient shapes. Also, there could be an "assimilated" shield as part of the tutorial equipment that could be used as a vanity shield to "assimilate" regular ships for the Co-op captains to use in the normal course of play even if it does not have weeds that extend past the surface.

I can image a purpose-built Federation cruiser style with the typical Borg framework construction where the saucer looks a bit like a sinister green knitted flower-with-an-attitude. Another possibility that could turn out some good looking ships would be to have recognizable parts of different nation's ships glued together with weed sections or even have one ship with "dormers" of Borg geometry like the ship is halfway to becoming one of the geometrics. Those could spur more than enough c-store sales to make it worth the effort to make them.
  • xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    Maybe an arc based around the Synths? The Destroyers as the existential threat. The Borg could have noticed them somehow and you know how the Collective is with making bad decisions when the "absolute power" carrot is dangled before it. Or it could be more Romulan antics.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
    xarynn2058 wrote: »
    Maybe an arc based around the Synths? The Destroyers as the existential threat. The Borg could have noticed them somehow and you know how the Collective is with making bad decisions when the "absolute power" carrot is dangled before it. Or it could be more Romulan antics.
    A solution to the geometric problem that would make sense for the Cooperative would be to apply the aesthetics of some of the other star nations as they grow the "techno weeds" since they don't have the rigid homogenous Collective suppressing their sense of style and only going for the most efficient shapes. Also, there could be an "assimilated" shield as part of the tutorial equipment that could be used as a vanity shield to "assimilate" regular ships for the Co-op captains to use in the normal course of play even if it does not have weeds that extend past the surface.

I can image a purpose-built Federation cruiser style with the typical Borg framework construction where the saucer looks a bit like a sinister green knitted flower-with-an-attitude. Another possibility that could turn out some good looking ships would be to have recognizable parts of different nation's ships glued together with weed sections or even have one ship with "dormers" of Borg geometry like the ship is halfway to becoming one of the geometrics. Those could spur more than enough c-store sales to make it worth the effort to make them.
    Honestly, having a story involving the Synths could allow for a Borg Cooperative faction as well, and get around the "shape" problem.

Like, we know that the remaining reclaimed Borg from the Artifact are now on the planet with the synths, and Chabon has said they joined up to make a combined settlement.

Have the Borg cooperative hear about this, want to have them join the Cooperative, and then use the synths' ability to make bioships, like the flower, to make Borg/synth bioships(not necessarily the flower but you know)

Tie this into a plot involving the Borg Collective, the ancient synth empire, and maybe the Zhat Vash(though Cryptic seems to have implied the Zhat Vash no longer exist by STO's time). Picard, Borg, and Synth content all in one.

They probably do exist in STO time, we just have to wait for the Retcon/Timeline change, since Picard is very recent while STO is 11 years old, it might retcon Hakeev into being a member of the Zhat Vash because there would be no way they would allow a lowly Tal Shiar agent to make an alliance with the Iconians without their permission.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Gorn Uprising!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    other than a Year of The Romulan, i just want something new. the galaxy is a period of relative peace. so an outside enemy would be more exciting me. or even like, helping a newly discovered race rebuild their civilization and they eventually become a new member of the Federation or something. idk. just all these ideas about rehashing old things just seems boring. and i don't mean that in an insulting way, just that we've done it all before. give us a new race or a new outside enemy to invest in.
    gQytlm7.jpg
    other than a Year of The Romulan, i just want something new. the galaxy is a period of relative peace. so an outside enemy would be more exciting me. or even like, helping a newly discovered race rebuild their civilization and they eventually become a new member of the Federation or something. idk. just all these ideas about rehashing old things just seems boring. and i don't mean that in an insulting way, just that we've done it all before. give us a new race or a new outside enemy to invest in.

as long as that new race becomes playable
    edited May 2021
    If its a new race it wouldn't be made playable because it wouldn't make sense to be playing them before they are discovered. This is why Lukari aren't playable.
    idk. just all these ideas about rehashing old things just seems boring. and i don't mean that in an insulting way, just that we've done it all before. give us a new race or a new outside enemy to invest in.
    In a sense I can agree.

In the other, Star Trek as an IP is so large that its pretty much done everything, and usually twice. Cat species, dog species, snake species, alligator/crocodile species, blob tentacle species, robot species, cyborg species, extra galactic species, the whole gambit of energy cloud species. We have peaceful Federations, totalitarian empires, warrior species(samurai, solider, and hunter kinds), spy based species. etc. etc.

Its hard to come up with something truly new in Star Trek. And if you are just going to ape something that already exist in Star Trek, why not just use the thing that already exists instead of making up a duplicate of it?

True. we've also already done inter-dimensional with Undine and fluidic space. And the Iconians were probably as close to god-like we can get that we can actually defeat. Because then there is of course the issue of CBS approving of whatever Cryptic wants to do if its an original idea.

Like I loved it when the Lukari were introduced, I wish there had been more involvement with them and the Kentari. But their arc was pretty short.

I'm kind of curious about what's up with the First Federation. But they only control one system, so their probably not up to too much. Hell I wouldn't even mind them bringing back T'ket. Maybe she's encountered an enemy that not even she cannot defeat.

At this point probably seems more likely we'll get more future stuff for the 32c. because anything could happen at that point. We don't really know the true state of the other quadrants at that point in time.

I think it would be less difficult for them to come up with new things if not everything had to revolve around combat, but unfortunately that how the game is.
    gQytlm7.jpg
    If its a new race it wouldn't be made playable because it wouldn't make sense to be playing them before they are discovered. This is why Lukari aren't playable.
    idk. just all these ideas about rehashing old things just seems boring. and i don't mean that in an insulting way, just that we've done it all before. give us a new race or a new outside enemy to invest in.
    In a sense I can agree.

In the other, Star Trek as an IP is so large that its pretty much done everything, and usually twice. Cat species, dog species, snake species, alligator/crocodile species, blob tentacle species, robot species, cyborg species, extra galactic species, the whole gambit of energy cloud species. We have peaceful Federations, totalitarian empires, warrior species(samurai, solider, and hunter kinds), spy based species. etc. etc.

Its hard to come up with something truly new in Star Trek. And if you are just going to ape something that already exist in Star Trek, why not just use the thing that already exists instead of making up a duplicate of it?

I typed up a whole response and the forum ate it. Basically I agree. Idk maybe they'll surprise us. Though that's probably as naïve as you can get here, but hey, who knows. One can hope.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    In a sense I can agree.

Still no Kelvin Catian Catgirls (or Catboys) for now, or playable Iconian Rebel. Or for that matter, a number of more stereotypical fantasy races (more beastmen in the vein of minotaurs or wolfmen, more sentient monsters with somewhat humanoid elements such as lamia, merfolk, etc).

But you're right in that most major elements have already been represented on some level, and it's either safely retread with existing species and stories, or put some work into new ones. Problem is that Cryptic trends to the safe path for many obvious reasons.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,497 Arc User
    If STO added neko ears to the Kelvin Catians it would be great, the movie makeup did not include ears (according to the makeup artist they had just done a makeup test on the face to suggest fur and took the actress upstairs so Abrams could get a look at it and he said to use it as is and add a CGI tail so the full makeup with the cat ears was never finished) so they looked more like monkey girls with the round human ears and that tail even though the writers confirmed in interviews that they did write "Catian" in the script.

There is even a sort of fanon about a neko-like subspecies of Catian so it would probably be rather popular if the devs did make either the parts available in the 'Alien' generator or even better make an alternate tab like they did for DSC Klingons to the Catian generator.
  • xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    I really don't see the point of a new "species". New additions to the generic alien template would be interesting. If there is a new species it would have to bring something unique to the game and I don't see that happening, not within the limits of the game engine.

I was holding out for an "underworld" faction but the introduction of cross-faction ship use was good enough for what I wanted to do with it, and a new faction would probably end up like the Romulans just losing its distinction by the time the character reaches L30.

A run of "peacetime" episodes would be a nice change of a pace for a spell. And there is T'ket still stomping around who might be a problem and spice things up.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Well, thinking about how Stellaris classifies things, we have almost every type of empire and authority type...except Devouring Swarm.

And before anyone says anything, no, the Hur'q don't count - they weren't devouring anything, they were just mad as a hatter and lashing out at anything and everything in range.

And the Giant Amoeba from TOS doesn't count either, because while it DID devour things, it was one entity, not a swarm.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • altston1909#2309 altston1909 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    The Borg are kinda a devouring swarm (except when they attack Earth xD)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    The Borg are Driven Assimilators. And they don't really swarm - they tend to send one ship at a time, sometimes a few if a species is particularly resistant...the only time they've ever been shown sending out entire fleets was against Species 8472.

Obviously, they do in STO, but that's more because of gameplay and not any real change in doctrine.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • altston1909#2309 altston1909 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Well they were nerfed, the original quote from Guinan is:
    "They don't do that individually, that's not their way. When they decide to come, they're gonna come in force. They don't do anything piecemeal"

And Q's:
    "The Borg are the ultimate user. They're unlike any threat your Federation has ever faced. They're not interested in political conquest, wealth, or power as you know it. They're simply interested in your ship, its technology. They've identified it as something they can consume."

You could even argue that even though they attack with only one or a few ships, each cube can have as much as 200 000 drones aboard and it only takes a few for them to start assimilating. They have an exponential growth.
    In a sense I can agree.

Still waiting for Star Trek to do a sapient monkey species, like go full planet of the apes, Xindi-Primates don't count since they're too human looking, I mean something closer to Sun Wukong the Monkey King or Doctor Zaius on the furry scale.
This discussion has been closed.