test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What should the next story arc be about?

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I doubt if they could do the space squid for a while, it is busy doing a gig for Mass Effect at the moment...
    You mean its booked for the latest Lovecraft game?

Steampunk Lovecraft B)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    sierra078 wrote: »
    What about a completly mechanical enemy then, with terminator-style bots.
    So the Ancient Synth Empire from Picard then?

Yeah, that would be great actually. That one scene of the robot octopus was the most interesting part of the entire story to me. If CBS doesn't actually have any plans to follow up on that it would be great if Cryptic was allowed to :)

Wait... I thought people hated Robot Cthulhu, maybe we can have an arc where we fight Lore, he's technically not dead, just disassembled and locked up somewhere, but who would be mad enough to rebuild him, maybe a certain Ferengi that hates our guts and keeps cheating death.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User

Yeah, that would be great actually. That one scene of the robot octopus was the most interesting part of the entire story to me. If CBS doesn't actually have any plans to follow up on that it would be great if Cryptic was allowed to :)

Wait... I thought people hated Robot Cthulhu, maybe we can have an arc where we fight Lore, he's technically not dead, just disassembled and locked up somewhere, but who would be mad enough to rebuild him, maybe a certain Ferengi that hates our guts and keeps cheating death.

Urgh...can't someone reassemble Lore (as in, Data's older brother) instead?
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    It would be possible that some scientist with more ego than sense reassembles Lore thinking he could control him enough to gain insight into synth technology without risk, and finds out the hard way that Lore has his own ideas about that and outmaneuvers him, and sets off on his own dastardly schemes.

Of course, the problem with that would be that they would either need to find a different actor since Spinner said he was getting too old to realistically play Data and would not accept any more of that part after the stuff he did in first season PIC, and that would logically apply to Lore as well, or do it all "off camera" by reference (with possibly some CGI and voice acting cameos).
    It would be possible that some scientist with more ego than sense reassembles Lore thinking he could control him enough to gain insight into synth technology without risk, and finds out the hard way that Lore has his own ideas about that and outmaneuvers him, and sets off on his own dastardly schemes.

Of course, the problem with that would be that they would either need to find a different actor since Spinner said he was getting too old to realistically play Data and would not accept any more of that part after the stuff he did in first season PIC, and that would logically apply to Lore as well, or do it all "off camera" by reference (with possibly some CGI and voice acting cameos).

could get a relative to play him, some people have strong genetics.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,213 Arc User
    The hirogen ships are unlikely to get T6 versions any time soon due to how extremely unpopular they were. I'm not saying its impossible, just that it will probably be quite a while before we actually see them because of it. And currently they're churning out new lockbox ships at a very fast pace so its even less likely
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • altston1909#2309 altston1909 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    I've always felt like the Borg Cooperative could be a nice faction to explore, both as a playable new faction (where you choose side after the first set of missions, like all other xD) and with a story on how they become fully Alliance members.

The tutorial could be some past story arc, from their perspective, like the Delta Story arc (Vadvaaur). The rest depend on your selected faction. After that, a new set of missions available to all captains could slowly come out during a few events where the new threat is being developed and the Cooperative is heavily involved with solving it and the new Alliance working with them.

If starting from lvl1, you could get a t4 scalable "Cooperative Probe" ship, "Cooperative Recruitment" could give assimilated plasma space and ground weapon boxes, Cooperative Admiralty ship, Cooperative doff and cooperative boff. It would be cool for Cooperative players to get the Omega Reputation Assimilated Space Set, just scalable. Along it, we could get a T6 "Cooperative Sphere" Zen Store ship. Or they coul start developing their own ship style diverging from the Borg.

Event finishing the story arc could give Cooperative Ground set similar to the Borg Lobi Exoarmor.
    edited May 2021
    I've always felt like the Borg Cooperative could be a nice faction to explore, both as a playable new faction (where you choose side after the first set of missions, like all other xD) and with a story on how they become fully Alliance members.

The tutorial could be some past story arc, from their perspective, like the Delta Story arc (Vadvaaur). The rest depend on your selected faction. After that, a new set of missions available to all captains could slowly come out during a few events where the new threat is being developed and the Cooperative is heavily involved with solving it and the new Alliance working with them.

If starting from lvl1, you could get a t4 scalable "Cooperative Probe" ship, "Cooperative Recruitment" could give assimilated plasma space and ground weapon boxes, Cooperative Admiralty ship, Cooperative doff and cooperative boff. It would be cool for Cooperative players to get the Omega Reputation Assimilated Space Set, just scalable. Along it, we could get a T6 "Cooperative Sphere" Zen Store ship. Or they coul start developing their own ship style diverging from the Borg.

Event finishing the story arc could give Cooperative Ground set similar to the Borg Lobi Exoarmor.

I 100% fully support this, I mean the Borg are Star Treks most popular species/villains having a faction dedicated to them would be awesome, I don't really care about starting over from scratch or grinding, I don't care what side my ships are facing, I already have a hard time shooting at moving ships so it doesn't which way is up in my case, however Ambassador Kael said they're not doing anymore faction content, so I guess we're putting Playable Borg on the shelf to collect dust then.
    Well that's a shame because STO has developed a pretty nice story of it's own over time and forcing in DSC content kinda steered that in a completely different direction. DSC Starfleet faction is basically just a metaphorical reskin of the TOS Starfleet faction, just without access to Temporal recruitment, something they'll probably in the coming rerun.

They could have just done DSC ships, TFOs and reps and make a new faction like this continuing their own story after the Gamma Arc. I also felt like more Cardassian content might be coming after the Gamma Arc, lvl 60 character flying a T5U Galor with Garak being your faction leader, but that never came to pass.
    Well that's a shame because STO has developed a pretty nice story of it's own over time and forcing in DSC content kinda steered that in a completely different direction. DSC Starfleet faction is basically just a metaphorical reskin of the TOS Starfleet faction, just without access to Temporal recruitment, something they'll probably in the coming rerun.

They could have just done DSC ships, TFOs and reps and make a new faction like this continuing their own story after the Gamma Arc. I also felt like more Cardassian content might be coming after the Gamma Arc, lvl 60 character flying a T5U Galor with Garak being your faction leader, but that never came to pass.

I'd argue that DSC Starfleet faction is basically just a reskin of the 2409 Starfleet faction, they basically have the same tutorial just replace the Borg with DSC Klingons.
    You have a point there, in any case, they bring far less to the game experience than a possible Cardassian or Cooperative toon.
    You have a point there, in any case, they bring far less to the game experience than a possible Cardassian or Cooperative toon.

That "far less" was precisely why they did the DSC subfaction the way they did, it they were able to hook in the Kurtzman-Trek fans, along with all the altaholics who would make DSC characters out of curiosity, for very little effort as those things go. Doing an independent Cardassian or Cooperative demifaction would take considerably more time, effort, and expense to do.
    Doing an independent Cardassian or Cooperative demifaction would take considerably more time, effort, and expense to do.
    Not really. Cardassian and Borg assets were already built, and both have far less in the way of noticeable actors to draw from. Not to mention, both groups have far less narrative hooks to build on then DSC offered.

It would have taken significantly more time, effort, and money, to do the DSC starting experience, because they have to build all the DSC assets from scratch, not to mention the long list of DSC VAs to get.

True, though they would have had to build all those DSC assets for the YoD arc anyway whether they they made the DSC subfaction or not, so essentially it was not that much extra effort. Bringing the Cardassian and Borg stuff up to snuff (and it is getting a bit long in the tooth) wouldn't have that advantage unless they decided to focus on one or both of them for an upcoming arc.
    As far as Cardassian content goes, theres no indication there was plans for that.

Never said there was, just said I had a feeling it might be something that would be explored next.
    That "far less" was precisely why they did the DSC subfaction the way they did, it they were able to hook in the Kurtzman-Trek fans, along with all the altaholics who would make DSC characters out of curiosity, for very little effort as those things go. Doing an independent Cardassian or Cooperative demifaction would take considerably more time, effort, and expense to do.

I understand that, it was just a quick and easy exploitation of a "current" content, I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things, it brings very little to the game. After a few missions, you end up with a standard FED character with a bit different faction icon. You could say the same thing about the TOS toons, but they came first and it was a cool little nostalgia trip.

I also understand that what I wrote would take much more effort, but when I think about it, would it really?

a) A subfaction that chooses allegiance after 5-6 missions (that possibly recycle most if not all of the assets from the Delta Quadrant Arc, DSC story arc needed new assets)

b) 2-3 new ships, they are creating new ones as fast as possible anyway, you even have the models for a scaling T4 Probe, T6 Zen Sphere and there's an existing playable Lockbox Juggernaut that could gain additional popularity.

c) new UI (also done for the DSC toon)

d) Borg style space and ground weapons are already in the game (DSC ones had to have been made)

e) Space set is one of the oldest reputation sets

f) Various Borg NPC models, various ground outfits, all faction boffs, many doffs...etc are already implemented in-game (DSC had like Lobi ground weapons and perhaps uniforms?)

g) recruitment event is more work, but I could live without it

All in all, considering that the Borg content was a big part of this game since it's early years and at this moment you already have access to most basic things a new faction would need, this might be the most cost-effective new faction of all we got so far (Romulan, TOS, Jem'Hadar and DSC all had much less before their release)
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    a) A subfaction that chooses allegiance after 5-6 missions (that possibly recycle most if not all of the assets from the Delta Quadrant Arc, DSC story arc needed new assets)
    I doubt they would even get that. More likely they would be like the Jem;Hadar where they get a tutorial, and then just start up part way through the Delta Rising storyline.

Maybe, maybe not. DSC feds got several unique episodes and that was post VIL. The simple fact is, we just don't know.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    I could live with that :D The Delta arc would just have to cut out the intro where you have to go trough the dyson sphere

And the tutorial could be a breaking from the collective story. You are a drone on a small probe, you do some small task as a part of the collective, something happens, your ship is separated from the collective, perhaps because of the battle with the Vaadwaur. Cooperative sphere appears, you join forces, defeat the Vaadwaur. They take you in, help you and other drones from your ship become fully independant....and cut to Delta xD
    edited May 2021
    As far as Cardassian content goes, theres no indication there was plans for that.

Never said there was, just said I had a feeling it might be something that would be explored next.

I understand that, it was just a quick and easy exploitation of a "current" content, I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things, it brings very little to the game. After a few missions, you end up with a standard FED character with a bit different faction icon. You could say the same thing about the TOS toons, but they came first and it was a cool little nostalgia trip.

I also understand that what I wrote would take much more effort, but when I think about it, would it really?

b) 2-3 new ships, they are creating new ones as fast as possible anyway, you even have the models for a scaling T4 Probe, T6 Zen Sphere and there's an existing playable Lockbox Juggernaut that could gain additional popularity.

c) new UI (also done for the DSC toon)

d) Borg style space and ground weapons are already in the game (DSC ones had to have been made)

e) Space set is one of the oldest reputation sets

f) Various Borg NPC models, various ground outfits, all faction boffs, many doffs...etc are already implemented in-game (DSC had like Lobi ground weapons and perhaps uniforms?)

g) recruitment event is more work, but I could live without it

All in all, considering that the Borg content was a big part of this game since it's early years and at this moment you already have access to most basic things a new faction would need, this might be the most cost-effective new faction of all we got so far (Romulan, TOS, Jem'Hadar and DSC all had much less before their release)

Right now the Cardassians are simply another Federation protectorate/associate member so they would be using the academy like anyone else, so what would differentiate them enough to make them a subfaction with their own tutorial? What they need are more regular episodes, and possibly some new ships (though in theory they stopped building their own and sold most of the ones they had when they joined the Federation as a protectorate/associate member), not a full subfaction treatment.

About the only thing that would justify the time and effort to make a Cardassian tutorial and early mission arc would be if some of them went to a different academy somewhere else and there is some advantage to either the lore side or for the devs. One way to do that is if the STO version of Cardassia was a joint "protectorate", sort of like how Berlin used to be when the wall was up, with associate membership in both the Federation and the Dominion (and that is a stretch considering what the Dominion did to them on the way out).

Something like that could work if the devs were at all interested in turning the "Jem'Hadar" microfaction into an actual Dominion demifaction with Vorta and the rest going through a different tutorial for leveling characters instead of endgame-start ones, and needed to make a tutorial/starter mission(s) for them. The "purple faction" Cardassians could go through that with the Vorta and whatnot and the devs kill two birds with one stone.

Of course the problem with that is that the devs have said over and over that they are not interested in expanding either of them so even sharing the overhead between them it is still extremely unlikely they would do it. Zero dev interest at half off the effort is still zero interest.

The Cooperative on the other hand would make a very interesting demifaction like the Romulans and could go though a totally different tutorial arc from the others. It would still require a lot of upgrading of assets though (a lot of the Borg scenarios the Romulans go through the graphics are so low-res that the ship interior walls look like cheap posters instead of realistic circuitry and conduits and whatnot). The devs made vague noises about doing them someday, so who knows, we might actually see that one eventually.

One thing they have said that we definitely will not see are the geometric shape Borg ships being playable because it is too hard to tell what direction they are going. More likely would be assimilated hybrids like the Tal Shiar tumbleweed from Kelvin or the random-junk-nailed-together style of the Jugg.

The amount of work to get the Recruitments up to something near current standards even though they were complete when last run just illustrates how much work it could take to get a Cooperative faction up and running since many of the Borg assets are quite a bit older and cruder than the Delta and AoY ones. I am not saying they should not do it (it would be interesting), but from a business standpoint it makes the most sense to wait and combine it with a major new Borg arc.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »

Would of made sense if Altan Soong was secretly Lore and he was leading the Synths to wipe out all life...but you know that would take knowledge of Trek and actual talent...instead they make him a Human who was willing to commit genocide for no reason at all

Then at a drop of a hat suddenly he doesn't want to commit genocide anymore...same as Data's clone
    lianthelia wrote: »

Would of made sense if Altan Soong was secretly Lore and he was leading the Synths to wipe out all life...but you know that would take knowledge of Trek and actual talent...instead they make him a Human who was willing to commit genocide for no reason at all

Then at a drop of a hat suddenly he doesn't want to commit genocide anymore...same as Data's clone

It never made sense to me him existing. Noonien had androids as children and if he ever was going to have a child, it would have been with Julianna. What would have been GREAT is if it HAD been Julianna there instead. She could have found out that she was an android and decided to live that life. Grief-stricken at Data's death, etc.

Him being there and able to shut the others down...nah.

I always loved the idea of Data being reborn through B4, which they did in the comics, but Lore would have made SO much more sense being there...or I personally would have loved Julianna to be.
    And I know that this has probably already been mentioned in another thread, but I'll probably get branded as grave-digging if I find and reply to it...why was Soji on the Artefact? Was that ever explained? Was she doing sleeper reconnaissance, was it coincidence...I'm guessing just to have the Borg there.

Instead of the androids, I do still wish Soji had been the Borg Queen and we'd actually lost the entire premise of Picard in favour of it being about the Borg. Sorry for admitting that to anyone who'll pounce on me.
    edited May 2021
    And I know that this has probably already been mentioned in another thread, but I'll probably get branded as grave-digging if I find and reply to it...why was Soji on the Artefact? Was that ever explained? Was she doing sleeper reconnaissance, was it coincidence...I'm guessing just to have the Borg there.

Instead of the androids, I do still wish Soji had been the Borg Queen and we'd actually lost the entire premise of Picard in favour of it being about the Borg. Sorry for admitting that to anyone who'll pounce on me.

That Soji was the Borg queen was actually one of the first guesses people made based on the teaser trailers, it would have been a bit too obvious even for Kurtzman's bunch if they had actually gone that route.
    edited May 2021
    It being Lore makes zero damn sense. That's not talent, thats cringe fan fiction.

IMHO, so was inventing his long lost estranged son...

But, making a new Borg storyline, facelifting and fixing Defera, making a cooperative playable faction...that would be incredible.

Right now the Cardassians are simply another...

The Cooperative on the other hand...

One thing they have said that we definitely will not see are the geometric shape Borg ships being playable....

The amount of work to get the Recruitments up to something near current standards....

I agree on the Cardassians, all I said is that during the Gamma arc, I felo like something like that could be coming.

About the amount of work, yeah, it wouldn't be something that could be done within a week, but in my opinion, it would not be more work than any other faction received, on the contrary, it could be a bit less (just please no Picard style Borg interiors) It understand it won't be the next story arc, but perhaps one after it? I think it might bring back some pleyers that got disinterested with the introduction of DSC stuff.

Geometric shaped ships? Well, the Probe would not have that problem that's why I noted it as the starting T4 or T5 scaling ship, and the Sphere, well, sure, just make an original T6 Zen Cooperative ship then.
This discussion has been closed.