test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ten Forward Weekly 4/07/21

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
Copy/paste from reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/mnbqps/ten_forward_weekly_07042021_delta_recruits/
  • Recruitment events were created mostly for retention, as opposed to attraction, although the fact that new players could be attracted by it were also considered while forming the list of tasks.
  • When Andre discovered that they have all those recruitments laying around, he decided that they should be rerunning them "as often as possible", because such big feature that took significant time to do shouldn't be only run once.
  • In preparation for Temporal recruitment rerun, there are some changes to TOS experience that are being done.
  • Jesse repeated that yes, the old DRs would also be updated to modern standard.
  • There would be updates to DR storyline, because some of the old content became aged, outdated and sidelined, so while they still want to keep it available, they won't be pushing us to it.
  • Breen arc was the most prominent issue here, as it was very important to DRs, being its conclusion point, but as the first expansion it's really showing its age. Now it won't be part of the DR campaign.
  • Now DR would be more strongly tied into the events happening during the Delta Quadrant and Iconian war arcs, as before there were no resolution to the preparation efforts characters made.
  • Cutscenes, both intro and outro, are updated to modern Westin standards.
  • Some reward updates:
  • Reaching lvl 60 would award some reputation "goodies" predominantly for fleshing out reputation gear, like marks and salvage.
  • Admiralty progression rewards added, campaign requirement tied to characters' faction, with U.S.S. Voyager admiralty card as the final reward.
  • All big rewards are still available on any faction, but each faction still have small rewards for their unique arcs.
  • "Optional" arcs are now excluded from the progression (Breen, Spectres, Nimbus).
  • On the other hand, there are now recruitment tasks in missions up to and including the Iconian war.
  • They're planning the rerunning of the other old recruitments. (As said earlier - Temporal next.)
  • Jem'Hadar and Starfleets of the past are obviously excluded from the DR.
  • Featured episodes rerun seems unlikely to happen at all.
  • It took Jesse month of dedicated time to update the recruitment.
  • Were they making STO with current knowledge and experience, they would've made Boffs more of a characters, both mechanically and in terms of personality, but the current system is waaaay too deep-rooted.
  • Jesse thinks that current system could be improved and is trying to find the time for it (for an example he pointed at training manuals that require too many steps to use).
  • They can't make mobile doff or management app, as they don't have team capable of creating it.
  • There wouldn't be any new costume rewards to go with updated DR.
  • Nothing is preventing DIS-style klingon from being DR.
  • Mike refused to comment about the recent Oberth image.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Thanks for passing this on, much appreciated.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    When Andre discovered that they have all those recruitments laying around, he decided that they should be rerunning them "as often as possible", because such big feature that took significant time to do shouldn't be only run once.

No kidding. I have been quite baffled by the lack of recruit reruns, and having presumably all of the old ones rerun this year is just a good idea. Frankly they should be doing event reruns too, giving people a break who already have the thingy, while letting other people earn them if they want.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Were they making STO with current knowledge and experience, they would've made Boffs more of a characters, both mechanically and in terms of personality, but the current system is waaaay too deep-rooted.

It might be fun to be able to enable "shouts" (battle quips) like in Star Wars TOR and older Bioware games, but Cryptic would probably use the same 3-4 voice actors that do most of the other voices. (Why does my Vulcan science officer sound like Hakeev, and my Andorian like Taris?)

In another 5-10 years we could have real-time speech synthesis for everything a boff says to us, but they aren't quite there yet.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    In preparation for Temporal recruitment rerun, there are some changes to TOS experience that are being done.

Unless this includes adding TOS Romulans who end up joining the Republic, I am not interested.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    garaffe wrote: »
    Unless this includes adding TOS Romulans who end up joining the Republic, I am not interested.

I doubt that, considering the fact that for TOS there is next to nothing known about the Romulans to be able to build an entire arc to match the TOS Fed one. Not only that, what reason would a TOS Romulan have to join the Republic, that is rather friendly with the Federation, when there's still some remnant of the Star Empire left?

No... I think they're just revamping some stuff from the existing TOS experience. Hopefully they address a level scaling issue that comes up on trying to replay that TOS arc.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    In preparation for Temporal recruitment rerun, there are some changes to TOS experience that are being done.
    Jesse repeated that yes, the old DRs would also be updated to modern standard.
    [...]
    Cutscenes, both intro and outro, are updated to modern Westin standards.
    Great to know. Their animator is still doing a great job at animating characters in cutscenes and should still be praised for that, as the stark difference between post-ViL and the rest can be so painful to watch.

I recently replayed the TOS mission where Daniels and the Nak'uhl reveal themselves to see if they fixed the film grain effect that conflicted badly with lighting 2.0 and the level-scaling issue (they did) and oh boy, I think I took minor psychic damage from that.
    It's literally:
    *line*
    stock emotionless animation with long silence
    *line*
    stock emotionless animation with long silence
    *line*
    change of shot with long silence
    *line*
    emotionless close-up with long silence

And it hurts to watch today.
    Jem'Hadar and Starfleets of the past are obviously excluded from the DR.
    That's tempo-racist. :P
    Featured episodes rerun seems unlikely to happen at all.
    Mudd and his ridiculously-priced Market can rest easy then.
    Were they making STO with current knowledge and experience, they would've made Boffs more of a characters, both mechanically and in terms of personality, but the current system is waaaay too deep-rooted.
    Tovan Khev with a energy rope around his neck, smiling: "First time?"
    Mike refused to comment about the recent Oberth image.
    So it's fully real and coming soon, thanks for the confirmation, Mike.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    I recently replayed Caleb IV, and I noticed that one thing has improved. Used to be that on replays most NPCs would spawn at your actual level, while you're scaled to first run level, which for Caleb IV is Lt 9. Dear God was it frustrating fighting a lv 65 named NPC (in this case Kor) as a lv 9 Fleet Admiral.

I had brought this up with Kael, concerned about future replays, and went into that mission intending to get screenshots. I was pleasantly surprised that the enemies were not spawning at my actual level, but were level synced with me. I was still level scaled down, however, and so any drops were still in the mk 2/3 range, but it was actually enjoyable again because it wasn't a lv 9 Fleet Admiral vs lv 65 mobs.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    this one is confusing to me at least. given that i dont have a delta from last (i may have deleted it some time ago too), what does this really mean? was the previous DR given tasks that involved these runs?

When the Delta recruits first came out, yes. Those arcs were acutally mainline story as well, and the end of the Breen Arc was actually the point where the future version of the Delta Recruit would contact their past self. But since they are now optional arcs, they're revamping the rewards to reflect that.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    It is disappointing that they unlinked Delta from Spectres since that is one of the best time travel episodes. The real shame would be if they made no effort to link AoY to Spectres though since it is the only episode after you get to the "present" of the game that actually feels like it is part of TOS and not like the player is just passing though in a cameo.

If they had went the other route and kept Spectres in Delta while linking AoY to Spectres too they could even have had an in-joke Easter egg were the player finds the time instruments and scans show they they placed it there themselves but has no memory of it before going off to set the AoY version of the probe (or whatever AoY recruits do instead, I missed the event by a day or so when I first started STO).

Of course, if they ever do an update of Spectres and link it back into the regular episode list they could add a few details like cutscene and NPC comment differences depending on whether the character is a Delta, AoY, or normal one (or even more detail since the other recruiting events put flags on the recruits too), and whether Spectres is checked off as as having been done before (using the same flag that determines whether it has the "Skip/Hail" buttons or the "Replay" one) if they want to get fancy and boost replayability.

And yes, minor cutscene and NPC comment differences do work for that, I also play a game called Secret World Legends were people almost always eventually make a character from each faction (even though only one character is free) to see that stuff. All but a few missions are exactly the same no matter which of the three factions you play and the only differences are what the faction handler says (which can be quite humorous), the rare cutscene swap, and some NPC comments sprinkled around that depend on your faction.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    It is disappointing that they unlinked Delta from Spectres since that is one of the best time travel episodes. The real shame would be if they made no effort to link AoY to Spectres though since it is the only episode after you get to the "present" of the game that actually feels like it is part of TOS and not like the player is just passing though in a cameo.
    The thing is, for AoY agents, the Spectres arc IS part of their canonical path as Scotty references meeting the player at Drozana Station (even if at this point, from your point of view, this hasn't happened yet) during Return to Babel and McCoy (and Scotty again) partially remembers you as well during the AoY tutorial.

I can see why these arcs were "removed" as they were showing their ages, but overall, I think Spectres wasn't so bad (apart from the infuriating "You're being invaded by ghosts slowly killing you and we're running out of time, TRIBBLE you and your nerve tonic, give me the regulator!" part).

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    I also liked that arc too.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    The thing is, for AoY agents, the Spectres arc IS part of their canonical path as Scotty references meeting the player at Drozana Station (even if at this point, from your point of view, this hasn't happened yet) during Return to Babel and McCoy (and Scotty again) partially remembers you as well during the AoY tutorial.

I can see why these arcs were "removed" as they were showing their ages, but overall, I think Spectres wasn't so bad (apart from the infuriating "You're being invaded by ghosts slowly killing you and we're running out of time, TRIBBLE you and your nerve tonic, give me the regulator!" part).

Good points, I noticed the mentions in the TOS episodes too, and overall the Drozena arc was pretty good. It should be tweaked and added back.
    Spectres, Nimbus, and the Reman arc, aren't too bad. Especially since Cryptic updated them to have mostly complete VA. The only thing that really needs to be revamped in the Spectres arc IMO is the interior of the Cardassian ship you go into in the first mission, holy TRIBBLE is it bad. The TOS era Drozana station could also use some updates to use some of the AoY assets, but otherwise isn't that bad besides that initial section where you are walking up the ramped hallway next to empty rooms.

2800 is just kind of mediocre, and needs some sort of update to the DS9 interior, even if they can't use the new DS9 interior because its too small.

Cold War is just garbage, and needs a YoK style revamp from the ground up.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

I would add that, IMO, the worst part of the Cold War arc is the fact that I end up rooting for the Breen because the Defari are so annoying. If it was any other species being invaded by the Breen, it would have been much better.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

I would add that, IMO, the worst part of the Cold War arc is the fact that I end up rooting for the Breen because the Defari are so annoying. If it was any other species being invaded by the Breen, it would have been much better.
    Everything about the Cold War arc is bad
    • Deferi are annoying
    • Horribly outdated map design
    • No VA work at any point

It's also the very last oldest arc that they had plans to revamp.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    To me at least the issue with the Deferi is that they're too one note even for a Star Trek race, the whole balance thing is all they're about in the most simplistic way possible. they're the most stereotypical of a "true neutral" (to use the D&D) term, the "I did a good thing so now I must allow a bad thing to happen so things are at balance" stereotype which is really annoying.

Now a race whose core cultural ideal is balance and harmony isn't bad as a concept, but you need there to be more long term thinking then "good+evil=0 short term so everything is at balance" as that creates characters that are annoying and uninteresting.

EDIT:Even the Kentari who are about unsubtly as possible "worst parts of 20th-21st century America" as a Star Trek race have more dimensions to them then the Deferi.
    I hate to say it but yea. The Deferi are pretty bland. I mean they openly said during the conference on DS9 about the Borg that they'd rather LET the Borg destroy them then go against everyone because of The Balance.
    I actually like the plot of the Breen/Defari arc, but it definitely needs an update, especially the defari.
This discussion has been closed.