test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to progress ambush/decloak kills faster?

foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
Now that they fixed it so it actually tracks kills properly I'm sure many people want some tips on how to get there faster. Since you have to get the kill during the ambush bonus, you don't succeed if you get them to 1% when the ambush buff disappears. So some tips I've found so far:

1. Battlecloak! This is one of the biggest things as it lets you get ambush kills repeatedly through a fight. If you get into a STF with a 1-2 minute long fight, if you only have normal cloak, you've only got a chance in the beginning of the fight, unless you run away like a COWARD. And you're a Klingon warrior so you should just be cloaking instead. Cloak recharges every 20s by default letting you recloak with battlecloak every 20s or so to get more ambush. BOPs and most Romulan ships have battlecloaks, as well as most of the Disco style ships like the Qugh, but you can also use a Defiant or Sovereign with their console sets.

2. Single target abilities, unless you can reliably do AOE kills. This means using beam overload or cannon rapid fire when dropping cloak to reliably get a kill, if you can't FAW or CSV them all to death. While you can move up to AOE ambushes early on, if you're not getting kills in time then move back to single target abilities.

3. Prebuff. Don't decloak then hit CSV, APB, EPTW, etc. Buff first, then decloak and unload on your target.

4. Once you get to 50 kills, you can claim a special Klingon engineer via your recruit gadget with the superior infiltrator trait. Put her in a station immediately! Why? infiltrator adds 10 seconds to the ambush buff! The default ambush buff lasts 5 seconds, so this BOFF triples your ambush time! You can also find infiltrator on Reman BOFFs, if you can get any (whether multiple infiltrators stack I don't know.)

5. Romulans! Just as the infiltrator BOFF is great for helping you kill things from cloak, so are Romulan SRO boffs. Superior Romulan Operative gives bonus damage for the ambush buff and makes cloak recharge faster (ideal for battlecloaking ships.) Unfortunately as a Klingon you can't get one if not in a fleet. But if you are in a fleet, get your SRO boff when you can.

6. Consoles! It doesn't seem to matter where the damage comes from to get credit for the kills, as long as its done by you during the ambush buff. If you have various event or ship consoles, don't be afraid to use them for the extra damage you may need.

7. Targeting. It goes without saying that if you're on a time crunch (and you are, 5-15s) to kill a ship, you need to prioritize targets you can kill. That means frigates before larger targets, and if you're using AOE, line up those frigates while you're cloaked to get all of them at once if possible. If you have to kill a cruiser, consider using your single target buffs instead, as you get no credit if it isn't dead at the end of the ambush. Any battleships or dreadnoughts, you probably can't kill them in one decloak volley until endgame, so whittle them down then battlecloak to get that ambush bonus again and finish them off.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    vieth1vieth1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Disregard; information is already in post above
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    5. Romulans! Just as the infiltrator BOFF is great for helping you kill things from cloak, so are Romulan SRO boffs. Superior Romulan Operative gives bonus damage for the ambush buff and makes cloak recharge faster (ideal for battlecloaking ships.) Unfortunately as a Klingon you can't get one if not in a fleet. But if you are in a fleet, get your SRO boff when you can.

To be clear... you can use multiple SRO boffs. As a Klingon (this is also true for Jem'Hadar and Federation captains) you can only get the fleet one, which is the blue quality male tactical officer (at the Fleet Embassy vendor). However you can buy multiple copies of him and use him as all of your intended tactical officers, if you like.

The trait also gives +2 Critical Hit Chance and +5 Critical Severity.

(If your captain is of the Romulan faction, then there are other sources in addition to the Fleet Embassy, and you can potentially have an all-SRO bridge.)

Fair enough. Its fleet stuff so I know little about it.
  • Options
    Correction: upon further research, the +Ambush Damage is on another trait, Subterfuge, not SRO. They are sometimes found on the same officer but not always (and not on the Embassy one). SRO is just the cloak recharge speed and the crit stats.

Yes it is a separate trait, but the wiki says its standard for every Romulan BOFF, however if its not on the one Romulan BOFF KDF can get, I'll line it out.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Since you have to get the kill during the ambush bonus, you don't succeed if you get them to 1% when the ambush buff disappears.

2. Single target abilities, unless you can reliably do AOE kills. This means using beam overload or cannon rapid fire when dropping cloak to reliably get a kill, if you can't FAW or CSV them all to death. While you can move up to AOE ambushes early on, if you're not getting kills in time then move back to single target abilities.

As far as I understand it, you don't have to get the kill within the ambush buff, only inflict damage while decloak-buffed(and then kill them within a minute of that timeframe). I've personally found that opening battles with a Torpedo Spread is a fantastic way of racking up credit(especially with energy-torpedos later on). Another personal favorite of mine while leveling up has been Photonic Shockwave - drop in the middle of a pack while cloaked and then blast everything. Not as effective at later levels, but it's a great way to clear up trash at lower levels; Frigates usually insta-die from the shockwave alone if you have some EPG.
  • Options
    Correction: upon further research, the +Ambush Damage is on another trait, Subterfuge, not SRO. They are sometimes found on the same officer but not always (and not on the Embassy one). SRO is just the cloak recharge speed and the crit stats.

Yes it is a separate trait, but the wiki says its standard for every Romulan BOFF, however if its not on the one Romulan BOFF KDF can get, I'll line it out.

You lined out too much. ;)

Yeah, but what is left is still accurate.
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Since you have to get the kill during the ambush bonus, you don't succeed if you get them to 1% when the ambush buff disappears.

As far as I understand it, you don't have to get the kill within the ambush buff, only inflict damage while decloak-buffed(and then kill them within a minute of that timeframe). I've personally found that opening battles with a Torpedo Spread is a fantastic way of racking up credit(especially with energy-torpedos later on). Another personal favorite of mine while leveling up has been Photonic Shockwave - drop in the middle of a pack while cloaked and then blast everything. Not as effective at later levels, but it's a great way to clear up trash at lower levels; Frigates usually insta-die from the shockwave alone if you have some EPG.

I don't know if I can even test that, but if that's true then it doesn't even matter really, just get as many ships tagged by the ambush bonus as you can and kill them eventually. It largely moots my attempt at advice.
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Just to make it clear. Do we have to get a KILL within the ambush timer or just damage it then get the kill shot within a certain time period?
  • Options
    grumpyowl#1151 grumpyowl Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    Does firing torps from an enhanced battle cloak count? Could a ship like the Kor just use a torp boat build and stay cloaked to get credit all the time?
  • Options
    dragon200052dragon200052 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    One way I have found to quickly grind them out if PVP.
    If you get a ship with battle cloak and one or two friends in carriers with fighter pets you can just farm the fighter kills and level it up rather quickly if using Scatter volley or Fire at Will.
    The Fighters die quick enough so the timer is not too much a concern.
  • Options
    Just to make it clear. Do we have to get a KILL within the ambush timer or just damage it then get the kill shot within a certain time period?

No idea.
    Does firing torps from an enhanced battle cloak count? Could a ship like the Kor just use a torp boat build and stay cloaked to get credit all the time?

Should be easy to test, but probably not. I don't think you get the ambush damage bonus until decloaking.
  • Options
    imgoingmadimgoingmad Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    > @runlevelzer0 said:
    > Does firing torps from an enhanced battle cloak count? Could a ship like the Kor just use a torp boat build and stay cloaked to get credit all the time?

Nope. Tried it with Kor BoP, I did not get ambush bonus with only torps (probably does not count as decloak), so also no progression.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I've actually been doing a pretty decent job with my balanced beam cruiser build. Already got at least 500 ambush kills with a Qugh, first with advanced phasers but no real synergy, but now with a basic synergized Zhat Vash Disruptor build.

I think that a beam build with FAW might be easier for most people too. While a Cannon build can take things down fast, its limited to a forward cone at best.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.