test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yay! No More Torture! (KDF Revamp Part 2)

millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
Thank you for removing the torture scene from the Warzone episode on the KDF side. It made me stop playing and aborting the mission on my first KDF character (wanted to play a not-scumbag character while also not being Starfleet), and never go beyond that point in that episode on that character. And when I forced myself to play through it, just to see what story points I missed on the KDF side, I really didn't enjoy it (being the torturer and seeing a Starfleet captain go out like that). I appreciate the change, and also like that you gave us the option to not blow up the ship.

Just wish we had the option in the Empire/Tutorial to let the ship that was tricked by Franklin Drake's false distress signal leave (the one that didn't want any trouble, apologized, and was ready to just be on its way) too. Anyway, thanks again for the changes! ^_^
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User
    Thank you for removing the torture scene from the Warzone episode on the KDF side. It made me stop playing and aborting the mission on my first KDF character (wanted to play a not-scumbag character while also not being Starfleet), and never go beyond that point in that episode on that character. And when I forced myself to play through it, just to see what story points I missed on the KDF side, I really didn't enjoy it (being the torturer and seeing a Starfleet captain go out like that). I appreciate the change, and also like that you gave us the option to not blow up the ship.

Just wish we had the option in the Empire/Tutorial to let the ship that was tricked by Franklin Drake's false distress signal leave (the one that didn't want any trouble, apologized, and was ready to just be on its way) too. Anyway, thanks again for the changes! ^_^

You're supposed to be able to let the ship go, but for some reason whether a bug or an error on the devs part, it forces you to kill it even if you convince them to leave.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited January 2021

Klingons do torture their prisoners, it part's of their culture, they even torture each other with pain sticks during the Rite of Ascenion, pain and honor is what separates Klingons from Federation Dogs, also some of the player base was pissed that the "Interrogation" part was removed from that mission, there's even an entire forum thread on it.
    Post edited by paradox#7391 on
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Yeah I can appreciate someone having problems with this, and certainly have no problem with alternate options being available.

I do have to say that I find it silly to not just plow through it anyway and pretend your character never did it. It is easy to rationalize as the game does not give you other options to get the information.

But I do not like it being removed entirely. That is just unnecessary.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User

Feds commit genocide and mass murder in the fed missions and you can't take a little advanced KDF interrogation techniques?
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I think torture is a terrible thing, and I am uncomfortable when a video game forces me into such a plot. However, there is also Renegade's Regret, and if that mission hasn't been removed from the game or even turned into a side mission, I see no need to remove this scene. What I would prefer is, as others have suggested, another option to be added.
  • millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    I think torture is a terrible thing, and I am uncomfortable when a video game forces me into such a plot. However, there is also Renegade's Regret, and if that mission hasn't been removed from the game or even turned into a side mission, I see no need to remove this scene. What I would prefer is, as others have suggested, another option to be added.
    Yeah, Renegade's Regret was rough. At least it's not my/your character doing it. It's a LITTLE easier to swallow when it's an interactive flashback of an NPC, rather than our characters actually doing it.
  • chelly#7549 chelly Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    I couldn't stomach doing Renegade regret more then once. (darn you cryptic). That really made me stop and think. I always thought that scene with the ship in the kdf tutorial was odd. No matter what you said you still destroy the ship. I don't remember a torture scene in the tutorial. Now there is that scene in anther episode.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Torture was the best part of the mission now its gone due to snowflakes.
    Torture was the best part of the mission now its gone due to snowflakes.

The whole damn mission was gutted. I used to re-run the attack on the shipyards just for fun but now it's just boring and stupid rather than epic.

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    I can understand and sympathize with players if the game puts them in a position that makes them feel uncomfortable.

To me it was just a general roughing up that seemed in character and I didn't attach any more meaning to it than that but we're all different.

I also sympathize with anybody dealing with the loss or modification of their favorite mission no matter what their faction or mission.

In this case a battle at the Mars shipyards versus the Feds is still fun, but not quite the same as it's original version as it's been shortened. BOP captains need Fed targets. Lots of them. At that point in the storyline there ain't no Alliance, just red reticles versus the Feds.
    I still don't understand the issue with Renegade's Regret either. You are seeing what made a character defect. They did what they were told to do and just obeyed orders without a serious question. It took them killing innocents, killing their comrades, before finally realizing their leader was loony.

You should celebrate the fact they finally realized it was wrong, but also be disturbed by the fact this is also a very much human issue. The human lesson is not one that should be forgotten at all. Mindless obedience to authority, or even just cowardly obedience has killed millions upon millions of people, and oppressed billions. It is why free thought, free expression, and the ability to fight back against authority is so important, IRL.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User

Feds commit genocide and mass murder in the fed missions and you can't take a little advanced KDF interrogation techniques?

No kidding. I've been playing this game for 8 or so years now. I'm pretty sure I've killed billions of people at this point. It's fine as long as you don't think about the crews of the ships your making go boom.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    No more torture?

Considering I'm going to see feds able to fly bops and the anniversary offering is a Kor+1 for all with the command kdf were begging to have on the Kor.... the torture has begun
    nikephorus wrote: »

No kidding. I've been playing this game for 8 or so years now. I'm pretty sure I've killed billions of people at this point. It's fine as long as you don't think about the crews of the ships your making go boom.

I know right? Hypocritical, click bait like the op tend to annoy me.

One of the things I like about running KDF is you are honest about yourself. Torture, destroying wave after wave of ships and people on the ground in the name of the Empire. It may be messy, but it's what Klingon do.

Feddybears preach about how good they are yet there is no option to open hailing frequencies and talk the enemy down is there?

Also it all makes sense! New character getting command? Well you are a lieutenant who's senior officer murdered the XO and plotting treason. To challenge the TRIBBLE and take command is believable and fits the lore.

Feds? Oh, lets give this kid, straight from academy, his own command because he was lucky enough not to get killed in his first mission.....

• jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »

I know right? Hypocritical, click bait like the op tend to annoy me.

One of the things I like about running KDF is you are honest about yourself. Torture, destroying wave after wave of ships and people on the ground in the name of the Empire. It may be messy, but it's what Klingon do.

Feddybears preach about how good they are yet there is no option to open hailing frequencies and talk the enemy down is there?

Also it all makes sense! New character getting command? Well you are a lieutenant who's senior officer murdered the XO and plotting treason. To challenge the TRIBBLE and take command is believable and fits the lore.

Feds? Oh, lets give this kid, straight from academy, his own command because he was lucky enough not to get killed in his first mission.....

Agreed. I also particularly "like" how he has described every single Klingon as a scumbag. As if all Federation citizens and Starfleet officers are bloody saints - which we know they aren't.

I would've been fine if they decided to give us the choice whether to torture or not - after all as @sirsitsalot said these are OUR characters and we should be able to choose how they behave about certain things, if only in a minimal way.

To remove the torture entirely it's stupid and it's something that I'm pretty sure was made only because they knew they were going for a recruit event and they didn't want the main-Fed players to feel "guilty".
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    To remove the torture entirely it's stupid and it's something that I'm pretty sure was made only because they knew they were going for a recruit event and they didn't want the main-Fed players to feel "guilty".
    Or, you know, its because most people find such actions uncomfortable in general. Hence the large scale backlash about both the Kobali and Renegades Regret, missions.

But na, everything is a Federation conspiracy.

"most" people? Care to back that up with facts and figures :p

"most" people seem quite happy wiping out more people than Stalin on a regular basis but complain about ONE torture scene?

Or, you know, its because most people find such actions uncomfortable in general. Hence the large scale backlash about both the Kobali and Renegades Regret, missions.

But na, everything is a Federation conspiracy.

"most" people seem quite happy wiping out more people than Stalin on a regular basis but complain about ONE torture scene?

ROFL, exactly.

But let him rant. It's all he's good for.
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    I still don't understand the issue with Renegade's Regret either. You are seeing what made a character defect. They did what they were told to do and just obeyed orders without a serious question. It took them killing innocents, killing their comrades, before finally realizing their leader was loony.

You should celebrate the fact they finally realized it was wrong, but also be disturbed by the fact this is also a very much human issue. The human lesson is not one that should be forgotten at all. Mindless obedience to authority, or even just cowardly obedience has killed millions upon millions of people, and oppressed billions. It is why free thought, free expression, and the ability to fight back against authority is so important, IRL.

This is a good examination of structuring a dynamic character's backstory, converting from antagonist to protagonist. However, I think most players of games like this would prefer to create their own dramatic backstory, if such a thing is important enough. A single player game can tell you who your character is, but in a game where you already have to go through the same mission content as everyone else because its developers are too shortsighted to even attempt to allow for emergent gameplay. But to have the game define your character's personal backstory for you, whether making them guilty of murder and/or torture. I just seems wrong on a fundamental level in terms of what an MMO is supposed to be.

Not everyone will agree with my position, but I can only speak for myself.

I realize that the goal was to introduce an element of edginess to the game. After all, even DS9 made Captain Sisko guilty of war crimes. And he was the main character just like we are the main character of STO... But there is just one huge difference: We were spectators of Captain Sisko and all the other characters on DS9. In STO we are active participants. Now if the game were to randomly generate a character, from appearance to name and randomized backstory and said, "This is the character you are playing, then this sort of forced backstory works, even in the face of the game being an MMO where the general rule of thumb is that players decide who and what they become via conscious choice. But no. We are given the freedom to create our character and even if we have our own ideas in terms of backstory, the game tells us what it is, whether we would take those actions or not...

Like having us kill scientists and babies... As Starfleet officers. That is totally out of character for Starfleet anyway, and since there was no alternative, our personal choices be damned. The forum blew up over that and it was the subject of a long-running moral debate...

These are OUR characters. Who we want them to be should be our choice, including backstory. It's one thing to guide us through specific events that explain how a civilization becomes part of the current narrative. They can funnel us through some horrible events we see going on around us, but as long as they leave us free to choose how to respond to those events, if we even have a chance to respond at all, then it serves us and the game that much better.

But that would mean real depth put into story arcs, and that would be too much like work for Cryptic.

Right, I get that, people don't like being railroaded, despite that being no fault of their character who was operating on the only information they had at the time. I think that is fairly immature as no one is perfect, and such things can dramatically change someone's perspective on life, leaving a long lasting mark and a determination to not repeat mistakes of the past. Also, people do get pulled into bad situations through no fault of their own IRL, however, this is a game that totally lacks narrative choices, so I get it.

And as others have pointed out, we have all killed thousands if not millions of people in this game. The blood dripping from our hands is a river. Again, there's no option to do otherwise, but to act like blowing up hundreds or thousands of ships is nothing compared to killing some scientists or torturing one man, is plainly absurd. If you play STO, you're going to kill thousands maybe millions, so what is another twenty here or there? The only way to win is not to play at all.

But that does not at all apply to Renegade's Regret, however as it isn't even our character. That is what I was specifically writing about in what you replied to.

Given the large scale backlash over both of the previously mentioned items, and the many forums threads made over them... yeah. The forums are proof enough.

Also, ignoring context does your argument no good. In the situations we find ourselves in most of STO the people we are shooting at are unequivocally evil, and have no desire for peace. It was fairly common in early missions for there to be a line of dialog about attempting to hail the enemy, to try to talk to them, only for it to be denied. In those situations we have no choice but to defend ourselves against an enemy that has no desire for peace, or communication.

Torturing the Federation captain is not only not necessary in the situation, but its doing so against a person who is not actually evil, or deserving of it. Its different from normal STO situations in its entirely. Its the same reason why people had such issue with Renegade's Regret. It was wanton slaughter of people for no real reason, which is what people take offense to you.

By your logic are you finaly accepting the fact that Cryptic are biased against KDF players and there is a lack of parity between factions? If "many" forum threads are your unit of measurement, there is a thread about KDF lacking parity every week....

Somehow I doubt you'll apply your standard equaly.

This is a good examination of structuring a dynamic character's backstory, converting from antagonist to protagonist. However, I think most players of games like this would prefer to create their own dramatic backstory, if such a thing is important enough. A single player game can tell you who your character is, but in a game where you already have to go through the same mission content as everyone else because its developers are too shortsighted to even attempt to allow for emergent gameplay. But to have the game define your character's personal backstory for you, whether making them guilty of murder and/or torture. I just seems wrong on a fundamental level in terms of what an MMO is supposed to be.

Not everyone will agree with my position, but I can only speak for myself.

I realize that the goal was to introduce an element of edginess to the game. After all, even DS9 made Captain Sisko guilty of war crimes. And he was the main character just like we are the main character of STO... But there is just one huge difference: We were spectators of Captain Sisko and all the other characters on DS9. In STO we are active participants. Now if the game were to randomly generate a character, from appearance to name and randomized backstory and said, "This is the character you are playing, then this sort of forced backstory works, even in the face of the game being an MMO where the general rule of thumb is that players decide who and what they become via conscious choice. But no. We are given the freedom to create our character and even if we have our own ideas in terms of backstory, the game tells us what it is, whether we would take those actions or not...

Like having us kill scientists and babies... As Starfleet officers. That is totally out of character for Starfleet anyway, and since there was no alternative, our personal choices be damned. The forum blew up over that and it was the subject of a long-running moral debate...

These are OUR characters. Who we want them to be should be our choice, including backstory. It's one thing to guide us through specific events that explain how a civilization becomes part of the current narrative. They can funnel us through some horrible events we see going on around us, but as long as they leave us free to choose how to respond to those events, if we even have a chance to respond at all, then it serves us and the game that much better.

But that would mean real depth put into story arcs, and that would be too much like work for Cryptic.

Right, I get that, people don't like being railroaded, despite that being no fault of their character who was operating on the only information they had at the time. I think that is fairly immature as no one is perfect, and such things can dramatically change someone's perspective on life, leaving a long lasting mark and a determination to not repeat mistakes of the past. Also, people do get pulled into bad situations through no fault of their own IRL, however, this is a game that totally lacks narrative choices, so I get it.

And as others have pointed out, we have all killed thousands if not millions of people in this game. The blood dripping from our hands is a river. Again, there's no option to do otherwise, but to act like blowing up hundreds or thousands of ships is nothing compared to killing some scientists or torturing one man, is plainly absurd. If you play STO, you're going to kill thousands maybe millions, so what is another twenty here or there? The only way to win is not to play at all.

But that does not at all apply to Renegade's Regret, however as it isn't even our character. That is what I was specifically writing about in what you replied to.

What people conveniantly seem to ignore is the fact that "barbaric" practices are part of Klingon culture. When you roll a KDF toon you accept the culture and civilisation you are generating a character for.

Given the large scale backlash over both of the previously mentioned items, and the many forums threads made over them... yeah. The forums are proof enough.

Also, ignoring context does your argument no good. In the situations we find ourselves in most of STO the people we are shooting at are unequivocally evil, and have no desire for peace. It was fairly common in early missions for there to be a line of dialog about attempting to hail the enemy, to try to talk to them, only for it to be denied. In those situations we have no choice but to defend ourselves against an enemy that has no desire for peace, or communication.

Torturing the Federation captain is not only not necessary in the situation, but its doing so against a person who is not actually evil, or deserving of it. Its different from normal STO situations in its entirely. Its the same reason why people had such issue with Renegade's Regret. It was wanton slaughter of people for no real reason, which is what people take offense to you.

By your logic are you finaly accepting the fact that Cryptic are biased against KDF players and there is a lack of parity between factions? If "many" forum threads are your unit of measurement, there is a thread about KDF lacking parity every week....

Somehow I doubt you'll apply your standard equaly.

Him using logic? That'd be the day, my friend.

Also, just as a reminder: the Federation and the Empire were AT WAR. So yes, from a Klingon's pov that Starfleet Captain WAS evil because he was the enemy.

And really, if it was such a big problem, why not change it before now? Why wait YEARS, literally?
    kv1Ohsx.png

• paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    I have a Fed Main, I'm perfectly fine with Renegade's Regret and torturing feds as a mighty Klingon warrior, I blew up that stupid Bethan during Revolution & I also kill Ferengis for fun, what is this "GUILT" you people speak of?

You're right. I guess that's part of what made it a little more bearable as well. It's still a bit icky playing that character, though. Which in a way is good, since it makes us feel the gravity of the situation... and share the disgust the Tzenkethi Captain had.
    For those arguing about, "We blow up so many ships!" Yeah, that sucks too. It's very not Star Trek. It's also part of it being an MMO video game. It's just easier to accept, because we're zoomed out and only seeing inanimate objects/toys being blown up. With the torture scene, it's zoomed in. We see it, and we had to listen to the Captain beg us to stop. This is basic psychology. It's easier for (non-psychopathic) soldiers to shoot someone from far way, or use a drone, than to actually torture someone or choke them to death face to face.

All that being said, I did point out that I had issue with blowing up the peaceful Federation ship. And I'll admit, I really REALLY don't like watching Voth Citadel Dreadnoughts fall apart. Some of those Voth could be Nelen Exil's family or former friends. :-(
This discussion has been closed.