test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Discovery S3 ship customization

dracovamri#2443 dracovamri Member Posts: 4 Arc User
Just a thought but would love if we could customize our Discovery Ships to the looks of Season 3 with the way the new delfector array & nacelles look, etc....
I have a Gagarin and was thinking of how the Shepard variant would look with the Season 3 Discovery tech.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Give it time, it'll happen.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Once they start pumping out those Season 3 ships as lockbox and promo ships, you will be able to customize how you want, after buying the new version for an arm and a leg.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    garaffe wrote: »
    Once they start pumping out those Season 3 ships as lockbox and promo ships, you will be able to customize how you want, after buying the new version for an arm and a leg.

Might only apply to the Crossfield, and maybe a stretch the DSC Connie. The rest of them might get a 32nd Century variant in the C-Store, and IMO it would most likely not be retroactive. To get the parts you'd need the newest version. Kinda like how the Mirror Connie wasn't automatically added to the Legendary DSC Connie.

We've seen similar things with other C-Store ships. The only one that kinda does what you described is the Avenger line with the promo Inquirary class.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    arvistaljikarvistaljik Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Might only apply to the Crossfield, and maybe a stretch the DSC Connie. The rest of them might get a 32nd Century variant in the C-Store, and IMO it would most likely not be retroactive. To get the parts you'd need the newest version. Kinda like how the Mirror Connie wasn't automatically added to the Legendary DSC Connie.

We've seen similar things with other C-Store ships. The only one that kinda does what you described is the Avenger line with the promo Inquirary class.

The Crossfield will definitely be box/promo, just like the original and the Mirror variant.

Hopefully the other DSC ships are C-Store though, like their predecessors.
  • Options
    I am going to guess that the DSC S3 ships will all be lockbox, and promo, only ships, owning to the fact they are far future ships, and many future ships aren't C-Store.

We do have the 26th Century ships.
    Ultimately its probably just going to be the Crossfield Refit, and it will follow the pattern of the Mirror Warship. Need it to unlock the parts for all variants and not added retroactively to the Legendary.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I am going to guess that the DSC S3 ships will all be lockbox, and promo, only ships, owning to the fact they are far future ships, and many future ships aren't C-Store.

We do have the 26th Century ships.
    Ultimately its probably just going to be the Crossfield Refit, and it will follow the pattern of the Mirror Warship. Need it to unlock the parts for all variants and not added retroactively to the Legendary.

And also, the 31th Century ones in the c-store... so there is a chance..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    razorin#3988 razorin Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I think that because the voyager-j was also featured it might also get like a refit or a new variant of that ship. But at this point im just speculating.
  • Options
    solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    I hope we don't get those monstrosities at all. Seriously, what were the designers thinking? Detached components, held in place only be energy fields? One power failure, and those ships will literally fly themselves apart.

The original U.S.S. Enterprise design had its problems--I really don't think Matt Jefferies really thought through the structural integrity issues those long pylons and neck would have--but there was genuine thought put into it. Those structurally-weak long pylons, for example, were--IIRC--because he thought any engine powerful enough to propel a ship faster than light was something you really didn't want anywhere near humans. But these things? No. Those are pure Rule of Cool, with no thought whatsoever to what happens if something goes wrong.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    I hope we don't get those monstrosities at all. Seriously, what were the designers thinking? Detached components, held in place only be energy fields? One power failure, and those ships will literally fly themselves apart.

The original U.S.S. Enterprise design had its problems--I really don't think Matt Jefferies really thought through the structural integrity issues those long pylons and neck would have--but there was genuine thought put into it. Those structurally-weak long pylons, for example, were--IIRC--because he thought any engine powerful enough to propel a ship faster than light was something you really didn't want anywhere near humans. But these things? No. Those are pure Rule of Cool, with no thought whatsoever to what happens if something goes wrong.

Jefferies said in interviews when asked about the thin struts and neck that it was purposely done as a way of getting the idea of highly advanced metallurgy across. They are not too thin when you are talking about materials hundreds of times or more stronger than steel. Thin struts are much lighter too, and shed heat better, both considerations he took into account.
  • Options
    solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User

Jefferies said in interviews when asked about the thin struts and neck that it was purposely done as a way of getting the idea of highly advanced metallurgy across. They are not too thin when you are talking about materials hundreds of times or more stronger than steel. Thin struts are much lighter too, and shed heat better, both considerations he took into account.

Okay, fair enough. I still disagree with his reasoning--but at least he had reasoning. I'd very much doubt the DISCO starship designers had any such excuse. I mean, seriously. There is no way "advanced technology" can account for that one. No matter how advanced, power failure is going to be a possibility, and with these ships any such failure is automatically going to be a catastrophic one.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Note: the warp nacelles don't propel a ship in the classical sense of spewing out propellant as it combusts causing an action-reaction. The warp nacelles bend space-time around the ship, thus the pylons don't have the stress that most people envision them having...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    The Discovery isn't indigenous to this timeline so it makes sense to maintain more of it's original appearance when being retrofitted with future technology imo.

At least compared to most other ships: this century's Federation ships, Booker's ship, the Emerald Chain ships, the Ni'Var fleet, etc..

I just hope if/when Cryptic releases yet another Discovery ship it isn't just for newer aesthetics & actually more is added to justify the cost.

I'd be much more interested in Booker's ship, the S3 Federations ships as long as it isn't just some updated look, the (2) Ni'Var ship versions, & Emerald Chain ships including the Viridian.

The (2) Ni'Var ships could be argued to include the Romulan faction. The Viridian & any other Emerald Chain ships could be open to the KDF faction as well. & of course the S3 Federation ships would be strictly for Federation.
  • Options
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Note: the warp nacelles don't propel a ship in the classical sense of spewing out propellant as it combusts causing an action-reaction. The warp nacelles bend space-time around the ship, thus the pylons don't have the stress that most people envision them having...

I also think I saw that the nacelles on Discovery actually reattach before going to Warp.
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »

I also think I saw that the nacelles on Discovery actually reattach before going to Warp.

I think you're correct about the nacelles, it was either warping or when going through the shiled perimeter. It would be a neat animation in STO.
  • Options
    No... it was just before she jumped to warp that they reattached. And yea that would. Unfortunately any new variants of ships that have legendaries will probably follow the same format as the Mirror Warship. The visuals will not be retroactively added to the Legendaries. You'll have to get the new one to unlock the customization.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    Waiting to dock the nacelles sounds like just another time suck added on top of the TNG engine-revving-then-jump sequence. Personally I would find it more annoying than cool, especially since it probably would not work any better than the TNG jump does ever since AoD made two different warp-out sequences necessary.
  • Options
    It would be no different than the nacelle animations for the Intrepid.
This discussion has been closed.