test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Ships Coming Soon!

trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
Will they be lockbox? Promo? or a Legendary bundle? I'm not sure. But here are three ships from Discovery S3. We can bet will make their way into the game. The Voyager-J! The USS Nog! and an unnamed hammerhead design.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/voyager-j-poster.html?fbclid=IwAR2Z2Fx96m0VV8xCgvpkt6xEqzjudhARL2wXcv_u5pc_5secFYgsR29mPrY

Mm5NeXy.gif
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    As per comments from the last livestream with Kael, don't expect these particularly soon, as up to the half way point of next year for the ship schedule is full. Well, unless something gets huge fan response, but I'm guessing on that.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    As per comments from the last livestream with Kael, don't expect these particularly soon, as up to the half way point of next year for the ship schedule is full. Well, unless something gets huge fan response, but I'm guessing on that.

I'd expect the Voyager-J to get a huge fan response. The other two are iffy at best.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I think it would be a bit ridiculous to make a new ship out of something blurry that apparently (haven't watched the new Discovery season yet) showed up for a few seconds on screen.

Especially given that we already have the Bellerophon, three free Intrepids, a T6 Intrepid, a Fleet T6 Intrepid, a Legendary Intrepid...

Let them come up with something original again, instead of trying to endlessly milk the playerbase by releasing minor variations of existing ships.
    We've already passed the point where they're just adding 'legendary' to a ship's name and adding of some stats or a console slot. We already had the silly requirement that you needed to buy separate (fleet) modules to actually get a full T6 ship in many cases.

I don't know about others, but I'm getting tired of seeing the same product being sold to players multiple times - and sometimes not even a full product. It's bad practice and lazy. We shouldn't encourage this.

Instead, we should encourage them to design new ships. The ship design artists are very talented. Giving them the opportunity to actually design something new, would be much better.
    Just add those Voyager-J skins to existing versions of the C-store ships for a change, if they really want to add them to the game. It's not a different ships, it's a slight variation of it and that's how it should be marketed.

Some of the designs in @trennan 's link are actually original. Better to design something based on that, than making (and selling as new) yet another slightly different ship that doesn't really stand out that much.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    I think it would be a bit ridiculous to make a new ship out of something blurry

While they only showed the top of the saucer in the episode, the Voyager-J was the most clearly focused of the future ships and the one with the most detail.

I think all of them will be lockbox or promo ships, but if any of them has any chance at all of being C-Store it's probably the Voyager-J.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    I REALLY wish they would make the T2 Science Fed Vessel a T6? unless I missed it somewhere I think that little ship kicks A**
    klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    What I've seen of those pics, the ships are hideously bland, to say nothing of questionable design choices. I'm sure Cryptic will do something with them, but I really hope they go about giving them actual detailing and make them actually look good.
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    I want every single one of these!!! they are sexay
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'm personally also disappointed with the ships in DSC and PIC because they are so... boring. The floaty vertical ships of Earth were sort of new, but those future fed ships are so bland.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    You can make a Voyager -J just like they did for the episode. Just take any intrepid and put a -J on it and you have the same exact thing rofl. Then you can gamble for some detached warp nacelles and then complain about it and then put an extra J next to it and make a character named Sgt Cpt Admiral Fleet Admiral Saru.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    Kurtzman really needs to get a new ship designer, the one he has now seems to have burned out a long time ago and every new ship is worse than the one before. Hopefully STO does not delay their own designs for that garbage.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    trennan wrote: »
    Will they be lockbox? Promo? or a Legendary bundle? I'm not sure. But here are three ships from Discovery S3. We can bet will make their way into the game. The Voyager-J! The USS Nog! and an unnamed hammerhead design.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/voyager-j-poster.html?fbclid=IwAR2Z2Fx96m0VV8xCgvpkt6xEqzjudhARL2wXcv_u5pc_5secFYgsR29mPrY

To be honest, whilst I understand players wanting these ships, I have to admit I feel deeply disappointed every time new ship(s) appear on the new series as it tends to suggest that older, otherwise forgotten, ships get skipped.

It means that all those of us that want a particular ship, that hasn't been looked at, to get attention can do is hope and pray that said ship class appears in one of the new series.

If they do a T6 Nova, I hope they follow that up with a Legendary Mirror Universe Nova, using the Defiant protoype design when the ship designers of DS9 was working on that looked like the Nova-class ship with the twin cannons in the Saucer-section.
  • mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    The new DISCO ships will be on a lockbox near you but this time later than sooner
  • daimon97daimon97 Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    YEEEEES GIB MOAR SHIPS
    edited December 2020

To be honest, whilst I understand players wanting these ships, I have to admit I feel deeply disappointed every time new ship(s) appear on the new series as it tends to suggest that older, otherwise forgotten, ships get skipped.

It means that all those of us that want a particular ship, that hasn't been looked at, to get attention can do is hope and pray that said ship class appears in one of the new series.

@reyan01 I Just seen a T5 Nova in STO on the PS4 for 200k fleet tokens and no modules required

https://flic.kr/p/2kd4Fyo

edited December 2020
    bcstar wrote: »

@reyan01 I Just seen a T5 Nova in STO on the PS4 for 200k fleet tokens and no modules required

You must have missed the thread that reyan01 had going for years about the Nova.

The Nova you pointed out is functional as far as a fleet T5 goes but the model it uses is from way back when the game first started and is not screen-accurate, and is rather low-res, enough so that it even makes any vanity shield you put on it look muddy and bad. And even if the model was better it is still not T6, which is the direction the game is going in (the devs have said several times that they intend to make all the old ships T6 eventually). The Nova is the oldest ship in the game that has never gotten any quality touchups.

And a lot of other ships are not T6 yet either (such as the T5 star cruisers like the Emissary, the Dyson destroyers, and most of the old science ships like the Nova) and as pointed out already the chances of a particular one getting revamped goes down as more of the mostly unimaginative and unsightly Kurtzman Trek ships are shoved into the queue ahead of them unless, like the Luna, they end up on Lower Decks.
    edited December 2020

You must have missed the thread that reyan01 had going for years about the Nova.

The Nova you pointed out is functional as far as a fleet T5 goes but the model it uses is from way back when the game first started and is not screen-accurate, and is rather low-res, enough so that it even makes any vanity shield you put on it look muddy and bad. And even if the model was better it is still not T6, which is the direction the game is going in (the devs have said several times that they intend to make all the old ships T6 eventually). The Nova is the oldest ship in the game that has never gotten any quality touchups.

And a lot of other ships are not T6 yet either (such as the T5 star cruisers like the Emissary, the Dyson destroyers, and most of the old science ships like the Nova) and as pointed out already the chances of a particular one getting revamped goes down as more of the mostly unimaginative and unsightly Kurtzman Trek ships are shoved into the queue ahead of them unless, like the Luna, they end up on Lower Decks.

To Note Consoles do not yet have the T6X implemented which still makes this and Upgradeable to T5U. Also There are other Models available to this T5 or did you not see the Square button? However i do see what your saying, But on PS4 it hasn't quite advanced to the PAR of PC yet, it is more like 2013 time again on the consoles not 2020...

EDIT: Here is the Rhode Island, and they also have the Quasar Variant...

https://flic.kr/p/2kdaKh3

To Note Consoles do not yet have the T6X implemented which still makes this and Upgradeable to T5U. Also There are other Models available to this T5 or did you not see the Square button? However i do see what your saying, But on PS4 it hasn't quite advanced to the PAR of PC yet, it is more like 2013 time again on the consoles not 2020...

EDIT: Here is the Rhode Island, and they also have the Quasar Variant...

https://flic.kr/p/2kdaKh3

Yes, like most of the oldschool ships the Nova comes in a kitbashable set (in this case Nova, Aurora, Quasar, and Rhode Island) but the thing is that the entire set of kitbash parts is of the same very low quality since none of them have gotten the quality passes that just about every other ship from way back at the launch of the game has had. For some reason the devs just do not like it so it gets ignored.

I have no idea what the game looks like on console since I never had one, but on PC the difference is rather noticeable compared to other ships.

I have a Nova/Aurora/Quasar kitbash that I like the shape of (Ianthe, the character who's picture I use as my forum avatar here, flew it) but the hull textures are horrible, so while I have toyed with the idea of using the fleet one I never actually do it since I know it has the same ugly low res textures as the low tier one. The Nova set would look better than the Intrepid class if the devs would bring it up to modern standards.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    It doesn't have that much to do with new ships from the newer shows though.

Remember when T6 ships were launched? The Vesta and Nebula (and only those two ships for some reason) got a stat upgrade.
    Just before that, ships like the Atrox and the Chimera got a fleet upgrade (even though T5 fleet ships were soon to be outdated).

Many ships haven't gotten just one, but multiple visual revamps over the years. They even designed entirely new hull materials for the legendary ships and the ones that were recently re-released as a bundle.

Some ships have like 5 different versions while others have just one or two (even if they're much more expensive to get).

I'm sure the new shows and designs from those play some role and will delay the release of other ships. But it's just one factor, Dev favouritism towards certain designs is nothing new.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • navar#3536 navar Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Yuk...the ships that have been coming out over the past few years have just been hideous to me. What they have done to the Voyager is just a travesty. I honestly can't see why people are so excited. It's like it no longer takes much to impress Star Trek fans anymore. Discovery...I had to stop watching that show just because of the ship...and I gave it an honest go, I watched the whole first season. And now Voyager J...that is the saddest thing I have ever seen, it looks like a 5 year old drew it using a ruler for straight lines and then an adult fine tuned it.

Of course, this is all my opinion, I am just saying, I honestly don't see what it is about these newer ships that are being released that everyone is so hyped up about. I thought Star Trek fans had higher expectations than that and would expect more from one of the most powerful I.P.s ever to hit the big screen.

I would have personally thought that they would have explored the Enterprise split neck look on a few more ideas before running off to this straight lines future (more like past) thing that they have going on. In fact, I don't think straight lines would ever be the future of any kind...like ever. It is far too simple and reminds me of the 1990's virtual reality look of video games of those times.

These ships are getting to a point that even I could have designed them. They are horrible looking to me and for me personally they represent a complete lazy approach to ship design.
    Post edited by navar#3536 on
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    If only they'd do a T6 Nova Class... Oh wait, they did it's called it the Sutherland Class LMFAO.

Did none of you notice the Nova Ship of the Line bundle had a T6 Nova and upgraded graphics and new ship materials?

Here is the details

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11478413-ships-of-the-line:-nebula-bundle!

Here is the details on the T6 Nova/Sutherland Class Advanced Research Vessel.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Sutherland_Advanced_Research_Vessel
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    lordgyor wrote: »
    If only they'd do a T6 Nova Class... Oh wait, they did it's called it the Sutherland Class LMFAO.

Did none of you notice the Nova Ship of the Line bundle had a T6 Nova and upgraded graphics and new ship materials?

Here is the details

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11478413-ships-of-the-line:-nebula-bundle!

Here is the details on the T6 Nova/Sutherland Class Advanced Research Vessel.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Sutherland_Advanced_Research_Vessel

Are you trolling? or is this serious? :lol:

You do know that 'Nova' and 'Nebula' are different words right?

They're also different ships.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > Are you trolling? or is this serious? :lol:
    >
    > You do know that 'Nova' and 'Nebula' are different words right?
    >
    > They're also different ships.

Apparently I'm hallucinating, because I could have sworn that it was the Nova.

Damn mandala effect 🤓😇🤯
  • navar#3536 navar Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I want every single one of these!!! they are sexay

Really? I was thinking the exact opposite and how ugly all those ships are and how much of a waste of dev time it would be make those instead of...say... SOME GD KDF SHIPS FOR THE YEAR OF THE KLINGONS...or a T6 Nova...
    But as you say, the Devs have consistently ignored both the ship AND six+ year's worth of players begging them to give it some attention. Sadly, so long as there are new shiny ships appearing in the new series that they can turn their attention to, they'll probably continue to ignore it.

Let's be fair here...that ship was ignored WAY before they have new shinies to distract them. With lame excuses given back than as to why it couldn't have been done...like nobody wants the ship that won their OWN DAMN POLL for what ship do you want the most.

Wow...took the words right out of my mouth. That's gonna sting a bit to whichever Dev reads this, lol.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'm personally also disappointed with the ships in DSC and PIC because they are so... boring. The floaty vertical ships of Earth were sort of new, but those future fed ships are so bland.

Second that notion...

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

I am a huge Discovery Fan.. I absolutely love it.. but I have to agree. If I have a complaint about the show it would be the ship designs, none of them really do it for me.

Funny thing is, every time I see a new class ship in Discovery I am happy because it looks terrible and I know I won't have to sell a kidney to get one in STO because I won't even want it. :lol:

I like the Discovery ships from the past, but the future ships do nothing for me. They aren't as bad as the Enterprise J which is the worst ship ever designed, but they aren't great.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Bad Disco show, bad designs, mostly bad game. It all checks out. Star Trek is slapped on stuff like a brand name and any child's doddle can pass for 'art.'
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • kemaiku#5456 kemaiku Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Maybe the Burn was caused by an irate starship design engineer who hated them all as much as most people seem to.

Joking, sort of. Anyway, the "NuNuNuNuConnie/Reliant-M" looks alright from some angles, with a crew of 2000 it would be maybe closer to the Universe class in terms of size, might be fun.
This discussion has been closed.