test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Discovery

chavyboi#3664 chavyboi Member Posts: 26 Arc User
Hey does anyone know if the Discovery tech and that is getting updated now its in the year 3100?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Hey does anyone know if the Discovery tech and that is getting updated now its in the year 3100?

Yes...some exterior changes to the nacelles and bridge consoles, new badges for the crew with that personal teleporter thingy.

But the ship itself, the looks... remains the same.

Wait, you meant the game...apologies :D
    Post edited by truewarper on
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    There's been no official word to my knowledge, but it seems like a given considering every show, regardless of era or absurdity, has some representation in STO.

I highly doubt existing stuff will be retroactively changed for it though - makes much more business sense to offer new variants and whatnot that can be sold.

That said, I personally think it's a bit premature considering just how little has been shown of the capabilities of technology of that era. (Then again, I think it was premature for the Inquiry Class to appear ingame when we never saw anything it was actually capable of doing aside from warping in and staring menacingly at a Romulan fleet.)
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,050 Arc User

3188 to be precise. We are at ep6 and it's become USS 1031 A been totally refitted so I'm sure bits of tech will come into STO at some point if it fits into what sto has planned.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    First, lets be careful here.. the new episode has been out a matter of hours so lets avoid anything that's a spoiler.

With that in mind, I will just say that any cosmetic changes that may or may not occur with the Crossfield or any other class could possibly be integrated into STO at some point, but no one here is going to know for sure.

So the answer to your question is.. maybe.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    chavyboi#3664 chavyboi Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    thanks to everyone for telling me :):)
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    First, lets be careful here.. the new episode has been out a matter of hours so lets avoid anything that's a spoiler.

Too late!!! :'(

Whats going on?! :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User

Last chance to back away from spoilers!
    "Starfleet" refit the Discovery with 3188 tech. Visually speaking, the hull plating/armor looks different now, the pylons have cut out/negative space in them, and the nacelles were 'de-tached'(free-floating) from the rest of the hull. Most of the control consoles now have a kind of holo-liquid interface that reacts to the users' biometrics. Comm badges are now a whole host of things ranging from personal teleporters to tricorders to holo-control interfaces and so on.

We haven't yet seen what it's(or any other "starfleet" ship's) combat capabilities are yet.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    szerontzur wrote: »

"Starfleet" refit the Discovery with 3188 tech. Visually speaking, the hull plating/armor looks different now, the pylons have cut out/negative space in them, and the nacelles were 'de-tached'(free-floating) from the rest of the hull. Most of the control consoles now have a kind of holo-liquid interface that reacts to the users' biometrics. Comm badges are now a whole host of things ranging from personal teleporters to tricorders to holo-control interfaces and so on.

We haven't yet seen what it's(or any other "starfleet" ship's) combat capabilities are yet.

Lol, that was cool! Thank you. Can see the next episode tomorrow but love to have something this big to look forward to. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    today's scientists/engineers certainly have a lot to live up to - yesteryear's only had to make a handheld personal communications device and workstation, both of which turned out infinitely better than the star trek versions​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    digitalwaala#9278 digitalwaala Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Impression of Planet Proxima Centauri with New the stars, Centauri a and Centauri B - Information about Proxima Centauri .
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

I'm waiting for the episode in my country, but i'm really looking frward to it!!!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    For those that want to be spoiled... S3x06 photo/vid link: click at your own risk.
    USS-Discovery-refit.png

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,297 Arc User
    Other then the nacelles that would probably not be more then a new "skin" I can't see in the pic if the discovery still has the mid 23c dish style deflector or the style used from TMP onwards where the dish was integral with the deflector housing for the most part.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Other then the nacelles that would probably not be more then a new "skin" I can't see in the pic if the discovery still has the mid 23c dish style deflector or the style used from TMP onwards where the dish was integral with the deflector housing for the most part.
    The outer ring is also no longer connected to the inner saucer, the pylons have large areas of negative space in them, and I think the deflector is different. There may be other differences as well, idk, it's hard to tell.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    Spoilers: Even more pics from Disco S3E6

1-Disco-S3-E6-Repair-Bots.jpg2-Disco-S3-E6-Saucer-1.jpg3-Disco-S3-E6-Saucer-2.jpg4-Disco-S3-E6-Nacelle-Prog-Matter-w-Connie-Background.jpg5-Disco-S3-E6-Nacelle-Detached.jpg

• Options
    For those that want to be spoiled... S3x06 photo/vid link: click at your own risk.
    USS-Discovery-refit.png

Well, those ancient shuttles.... are still flying.

• Options
    truewarper wrote: »
    USS-Discovery-refit.png

Well, those ancient shuttles.... are still flying.

Considering what happened...waste not, want not. Well, we know it's really time/budget...but the waste explanation fits.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    also, they're probably discovery's shuttles, so obviously they'd still be flying​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    One more, comparison:
    discovery-upgrades-ventral.jpg
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,842 Arc User
    So basically it's a Iconian ship now.....
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,297 Arc User
    > @lianthelia said:
    > So basically it's a Iconian ship now.....

Yes and no, while it has the whole detached parts thing from ico ships the base design is still UFP.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Don't worry about the 3188 Upgrades, the Ferengi will remove it before selling you replicas through Promo Packs.

Just what do the Ferengi do with all that future tech anyway? Store it in environmentally controlled Storage Pods, or what?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    lianthelia wrote: »
    So basically it's a Iconian ship now.....

lol. tron(ish)

Indeed...the U.S.S. Disco-Tron, NCC-1031-Amazin.
    S3E7 trailer. Disco-Emerging-from-base-2.jpg
    Post edited by theantisaint on
  • Options
    also, they're probably discovery's shuttles, so obviously they'd still be flying​​

There was a lot of them...it was Starfleet's.

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,618 Arc User

So in other words the control panels are what they were originally conceived as back in TOS but proved impossible to do with the production tech of the time. Cool, it would be interesting to see their take on operator preference-aware extrudable self-reconfiguring controls
  • Options
    digitalwaala#9278 digitalwaala Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    hello
  • Options
    trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    (WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS PURELY HYPOTHETICAL AND A PRODUCT OF MY OWN IMAGINATION POSTED PURELY FOR AMUSEMENT. NO PREDUDICE IS INTENDED LOL)

Yea, The Ferengi do buyout Amazon and ebay by 3188, lol since they are greedy lil buggers, Heeeeee! They tried to infuse some kind of alien dna to make them taller but that didn't work, lol. it actually made them a foot shorter by the galactic average, lol and more funny looking......... :)
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Well, i think that by 3188, we will have more 3000 series videocards available.. a little more..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Well, i think that by 3188, we will have more 3000 series videocards available.. a little more..

But by then they should at least be 3100 series video cards... ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
This discussion has been closed.