test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Data Breach?

crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
I just got a warning upon logging into the forums... it told me to change my password immediately and warned of a data breach... anyone else get this?

I change my pw often enough... wondered if there was something going on...

Thanks!
CM
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    I just got a warning upon logging into the forums... it told me to change my password immediately and warned of a data breach... anyone else get this?

Thanks!
    CM

I got nothing. Was the message from ARC? If not I would certainly do a scan for spyware and malware also viruses
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »
    crm14916 wrote: »

Thanks!
    CM

I got nothing. Was the message from ARC? If not I would certainly do a scan for spyware and malware also viruses

Doing a scan is the first thing that comes to mind as well.

No messages here either, and I've logged into the forums with 2 new computers, one today and one yesterday while my usual laptop is being repaired.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Thanks, just making sure it wasn't Arc intentional before I did anything else...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Yea... run a scan.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    If you suspect something is fishy scan first ask later, there's really nothing to loose that way if there's a threat you can catch it ASAP and if there's no threat all you've lost is the time it takes you to scan.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    I suspect, especially if you are using chrome, you are warned your password may have leaked and be visible somewhere on the net. That is a function of chromes password manager if you go settings->password management and scan. In that case you need to change all password that were same(the scan will tell you which if you dont remember). Now the how it got leaked could be through browser addons, visiting insecure sites you used same password etc. Usually the warning appears when you visit sites that used the leaked password too. Finally you can also try scanning your system for keyloggers etc just incase with something like Malwarebytes and your antivirus,
    Post edited by lordmerc22 on
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Ah... Malwarebytes. Good program. Used it a lot since it was able to catch many things.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    @rattler2 Do you mean the Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit tool, or one of the others they produce?

I have been using it alongside my security/anti-virus solution since as a runtime tool you don't get the usual problems of trying to have two security solutions installed, and have been more than happy with it. However, they seem to have stopped updating the malware DBs for it around two months ago, so I don't know how useful it might be going forward.
    Didn't happen on my laptop or computer... Happened on my phone...
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    Turn it off and wrap it in tin foil. Ground the foil to a cold water pipe. Look out front and back for a dark coloured windowless van idling. Do any neighbours have strange antenna pointed your way? Check for drones overhead. Consider calling a priest in case holy water is needed.

/your covered :smile:
    Wow, that was elaborate, but I tried it... haven’t had problems since :wink:
This discussion has been closed.