test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Builds

notserpanotserpa Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Does anyone have a link to a leveling engineer build? Thank you.

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    I’d go here for min max stuff in STO

https://www.sto-league.com/

The peeps running the site are around for over a decade in STO.

animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • notserpanotserpa Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Thanks for the link, I appreciate it.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    > @westmetals said:
    > My basic opinion is that you should learn why and how things work, instead of copying cookie cutter builds blindly, but that's me... that way you can mix and match pieces without breaking the build.
    >
    > For a really basic "starter" build... for most ships, all phaser arrays (or disruptor or plasma or polaron if you prefer for other factions... but make sure all the weapons are the SAME), and all tac console slots being filled by type-specific booster consoles for that energy type, and all the weapons and consoles being at least blue quality and an appropriate mark for your level.... and some logic into the BOFF abilities choices... will get you through most normal difficulty content in the game.

I'd second this the most import thing to know is why thing are done a certain way, not just the "it gives me more dps" part but also why and how it gives you more dps, in all MMOs I've played I've ran into people who just blindly copy builds thinking it'll make them DPS gods without effort and pretty much everytime those people end up worse then those who have worse build but took the effort to see what makes that build tick
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    This game is substantial after 10 years.

Understanding how stuff works is all fine and good but it’s a long way from understanding every aspect of game mechanics, grinding yourself to death to get the tools and then learn to put it all into practice. Only a fool would do it all on his own.

Every time the term “cookie cutter build” gets mentioned it makes me want to throw up. Nobody copies and pastes build stuff. One uses example builds to get ideas, find patters, abstract it to one's own endeavors.

I wish the term would have never been invented as it has the danger to turn away new players from the fruits of the wonderful collective knowledge base the STO community has worked for over the years and which we gladly share with every ensign that joins the team. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    > @peterconnorfirst said:
    > This game is substantial after 10 years.
    >
    > Understanding how stuff works is all fine and good but it’s a long way from understanding every aspect of game mechanics, grinding yourself to death to get the tools and then learn to put it all into practice. Only a fool would do it all on his own.
    >
    > Every time the term “cookie cutter build” gets mentioned it makes me want to throw up. Nobody copies and pastes build stuff. One uses example builds to get ideas, find patters, abstract it to one's own endeavors.
    >
    > I wish the term would have never been invented as it has the danger to turn away new players from the fruits of the wonderful collective knowledge base the STO community has worked for over the years and which we gladly share with every ensign that joins the team. :)

True and I'm grateful for each hint and advice you've given me. That said I've seen people who just mindlessly copy a build rather then using it as a foundation upon which to build their own build, personally you need at least basic level understanding how a build works, that's where people like you Pete are worth your weight in gold, as you thru experience tell the newbies like me what works and what does not work.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    My basic opinion is that you should learn why and how things work, instead of copying cookie cutter builds blindly, but that's me... that way you can mix and match pieces without breaking the build.

I totally agree.

Which is why, while I do link people to the STO-League site fairly frequently, I always try to explain that the builds provided are templates designed to give people an idea what direction to take. Sure, they're free to copy the build 1:1 if they so choose, but most of the builds are quite expensive to just copy. Usually the builds provided give you a good baseline for what you could aim for and Captains should always feel free to alter them to their taste.

The League does also offer a number of guides in the Guides section that are designed to teach you the basics of how to use the builds and build your own ship. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    Not all things in the game are necessarily intuitive. Collective knowledge is important and can speed up effectiveness and enjoyment for any level of gameplay.