test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unsupported Video Card Error

I got this today, after applying the latest patch:
ok.jpg
Seems like graphic card requirements have been lifted silently. The error indicates that a "DirectX Hardware Feature Level 10 or higher" is now required.
The DirectX Diagnostic reporting tool (dxdiag) on my system reports the following:
featurelevels.png
So apparently, my system has feature level >= 10.
What's wrong here?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
  • Options
    superdutyzsuperdutyz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    According to nvidias specs your fx 1800 card is ddi 10.0 not 10.1 which is probably the requirement they set in the launcher. Strange it shows 11.1 for the ddi screenshot you posted which it definitely is not able to do.
  • Options
    superdutyzsuperdutyz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I did find some places claiming the M version of the 1800 being able to do 10.1 so its strange its not working. Your drivers in the screenshot show 2016 so maybe update the video driver?
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    I did find some places claiming the M version of the 1800 being able to do 10.1 so its strange its not working. Your drivers in the screenshot show 2016 so maybe update the video driver?

The error message clearly says 'feature level 10', NOT 10.1.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    commander#5939 commander Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I ran into this on my old computer in January when I started playing STO during the Anniversary. We checked my drivers and cards and they had the correct version of DirectX. So in the end I spoke to my son, who is an avid gamer, he suggested uninstalling ARC launcher and installing Steam. This I did and reinstalled STO via Steam.

This cured the problem altogether, I have no idea why, but my son thinks that because Steam make a big selling point of "Playable on any platform, just download to your PC and go", the Steam infrastructure seems to be much more stable than ARC.
  • Options
    commander#5939 commander Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    If this works do let me know, so I can get word out of a possible workaround
  • Options
    daisydunkdaisydunk Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    same here so sick of this TRIBBLE. roll back your lame patch if its bug ridden or causes players not to be able to play issues.
    running dx11 also and same message. running dll version 10.1 Logged into today and same issue. says error code = need to be greater than directx 10. I'm no rocket scientist but pretty sure 10.1 is greater than 10. Are we going to get credit back for subscription cost? Are we gonna get extra days on the event? Your patch message says its known issue. Fix the issue immediately or roll back you lame patch that screwed up a % of you player base. We are working on it doesn't mean its acceptable for a week to go by till you people fix it. If you can't fix it today then roll back and test TRIBBLE before you release it live. you know do that customer service thing and admit you screwed the pooch and roll it back then test the next patch out before you release it. I do see how that would cause a mental dilemma and would go against long established patterns of patches we no testing required.
  • Options
    tariser12tariser12 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    I just want to know if all the video cards that could play STO before the patch will be able to play it once fixed or did the system requirements actually change a bit. My card is quite old after all.
  • Options
    tariser12 wrote: »
    I just want to know if all the video cards that could play STO before the patch will be able to play it once fixed or did the system requirements actually change a bit. My card is quite old after all.

From what I have seen the majority effected use integrated cards, and from what I have seen from various screen shots Nvidia cards.
    Thankfully I haven't been effected by this error. I have a Radeon.
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Hey folks, if this issue is affecting you, can you let me know:

What video card you're using
    What version of Windows you're using

Thanks!
  • Options
    bismark88bismark88 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I've got win7 and nvidia geforce 315 and been playing with this setup since 2012. Never had any problem like this until house shattered update.

I also as a test installed game on brothers new gaming rig (win10+nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 dx12). Still same error message.
  • Options
    rufus#3970 rufus Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit w/ Nvidia Quadro FX3800M Direct X 11
  • Options
    rc5150420rc5150420 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    windows 7 pro 64bit msi radeon rx 580 directx 11
    Post edited by rc5150420 on
  • Options
    jamchemyjamchemy Member Posts: 32 Arc User

Thanks!

Windows 8.1

Intel HD Graphics 3000

DirectX 11
  • Options
    solidusraccoon#9602 solidusraccoon Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Desktop:
    Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
    ATI Radeon HD 4600
    DirectX 10_1

Laptop:
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    DirectX 11_1
    Forum-Signature.jpg
  • Options
    jamesjustjames1jamesjustjames1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    > @ambassadorkael#6946 said:
    > Hey folks, if this issue is affecting you, can you let me know:
    >
    > What video card you're using
    > What version of Windows you're using
    >
    > Thanks!

ATI Radeon HD 4770
    Windows 10 Home ©2020 64-bit Operating system
  • Options
    anys#6278 anys Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    > @"ambassadorkael#6946" said:
    > Hey folks, if this issue is affecting you, can you let me know:
    >
    > What video card you're using
    > What version of Windows you're using
    >
    > Thanks!

Card: Nvidia GeForce 210 (GT216)
  • Options
    dancingbob5dancingbob5 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I have 2 the tower and laptop here is the tower Directx11 windows 7 premium And for the laptop direct 12 windows 10 pro
  • Options
    doqtajgal220#9514 doqtajgal220 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Card: GeForce 9500 GT (11 years old with the latest driver (4 years old))
    I'm thinking it might be time for an upgrade. Maybe something in a Feature Level 11 compatible with a driver released just this week.
  • Options
    jamesjustjames1jamesjustjames1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    There is more information on the thread as Eazzie mentioned above https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1257959/directx-support
    -Meanwhile-
    If you go into PC properties "Device Manager" under Display adapters then "Disable device" (your video card) then you can get into the game (at least I did) with all display settings at absolute minimum. Terrible gameplay but it's a work around that at least you can get duty officer assignments going and get the phoenix box and stuff.
  • Options
    There is more information on the thread as Eazzie mentioned above https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1257959/directx-support
    -Meanwhile-
    If you go into PC properties "Device Manager" under Display adapters then "Disable device" (your video card) then you can get into the game (at least I did) with all display settings at absolute minimum. Terrible gameplay but it's a work around that at least you can get duty officer assignments going and get the phoenix box and stuff.

May not work for everyone though
  • Options
    tibo#6800 tibo Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit version
    Intel HD graphics 3000
  • Options
    commphynixcommphynix Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Windows 10
    Nvidia Geforce gt220
  • Options
    crispycritteredcrispycrittered Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Windows 7 Home 64-bit
    Radeon HD 4650
    DirectX 11
  • Options
    tariser12tariser12 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    My is --:
    Windows 7 Home 64-bit
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    DirectX 11
  • Options
    brezicbrezic Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
    DirectX 11

• Options
    narrownc77#5590 narrownc77 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Windows 10 64-bit
    directx 12
  • Options
    Windows 10 64-bit
    directx 12
    What graphics card though
  • Options
    ultimatebrainiacultimatebrainiac Member Posts: 7 Arc User

Thanks!

windows 10 64bit
    ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    direct3d ddi feature lvl 10.1
  • Options
    jamchemyjamchemy Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    So here is the lowdown guys. I have surmised that this is no error as I was able to login to STO from my Surface Go tablet running DX12. Evidently, Cryptic has decided that anyone playing on older machines need to upgrade to windows 10. This is a subtle way of saying windows 8 (and lower) and DX11 (and lower) are no longer supported and hence thank you for your years of play, but either upgrade or bugger off.

I no longer hold onto any hope of them "fixing" this issue so I will go the route of bugger off and find something else to occupy my time....and why not just play on my surface go you may ask? Because that is my working tablet and I do not play games on it. I use my laptop for that and my laptop is perfectly good so no need to go upgrade it.
    Post edited by jamchemy on