test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Proposed total revamp to PvP

Step 1... Create a character creation branch for Galactic Conflict. It would work like the foundry slot worked.

Bring a new server shard online and name it DogsOfWar.

Galactic Conflict option would only be turned on for that shard.

All characters created would be faction 0. When queuing up for a battle, total earned pestige points would determine which ships and what gear are possible. The mission briefing will indicate the opposing sides and what the objective is for each side. Based on this info, the players will decide which side they want to play.

That decision will set faction 1 or faction 2 status for the duration of the battle.

One side will almost always be an antagonist group from the core game. Terran Empire vs Federation. Etc.

Once new PvP system is working as intended, on the main server, switch everyone to faction 0 after revamping the core game to no longer even reference the 2-faction system. All players would be Alliance.

But the PvP shard would be all about the different conflicts from all eras of Trek... Even the Romulan-Earth war...

Just a thought...
When it comes to MMOs, I wear prescription glasses. Whether or not they are rose-tinted is beside the point.

Comments

• keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 1,941 Arc User
    never thought id see you start a discussion as such...
    meh

• sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 2,338 Arc User
    never thought id see you start a discussion as such...

I'm not just about fire and brimstone, my friend...

:D
    When it comes to MMOs, I wear prescription glasses. Whether or not they are rose-tinted is beside the point.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    So the character you create for the Galactic Conflict server would change it's faction each match? I am imagining I would select PVP Science Character (Tier 5) from character select. I would then have access to Tier 5 PVP gear, traits, and skills to fashion my kit. When I am put into a match (say KDF vs. Fed), I am assigned to a faction-team (say Fed), and I become a Human Captain flying the T5 Nova because before the match started I selected "Tier 5 science ship" as my ship. If I was assigned to the Klingon team, I would have become a Klingon Captain flying the Teir 5 Gorn sci ship.
    Well in order to have a Tier5 ANYTHING, you would have to earn the prestige to obtain it and. You start at Tier 1 at Lieutenant rank.

If your ship is destroyed in space ot your character is killed on ground, all prestige applied to gear and equipment is lost, leaving only what you will have banked. Being defeated means more than just respawning and zerging. Victories will earn you more prestige, letting you play at higher ranks with higher tier ships and gear. T reach Tier 5 and actually hold onto it would mean having to consistently survuve conflicts. Moving ahead means being on the winning side and surviving.

If you see someone at Admiral rank flying a top-tier ship, then you will know that they have flat out put effort into applying good strategy. Considering that one lucky torpedo could send them back to the proverbial stone ages.
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    There's more chance of William Shatner doing voice work for Star Trek Online than Cryptic putting any form of development into PvP. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but Cryptic have no interest in taking the game in that direction
    https://i.imgur.com/R28e0Mi.jpg

“If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re having Lag or Rubber-banding,” “then you ain’t playing Star Trek Online.”
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 8,778 Arc User
    It would be nice if STO was more successful than WoW and had the resources to try experiments like this. I'd never play PVP myself but with that much larger player base there might be enough PVPers to make it worthwhile.
    There's more chance of William Shatner doing voice work for Star Trek Online than Cryptic putting any form of development into PvP. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but Cryptic have no interest in taking the game in that direction

Doesn't stop me from posting my thoughts on how it could be done.

Besides... The people calling the shots now may not be the same people calling the shots later. All it takes is someone with real decision making power to make the decision, and the entire direction of the game could change.

I'm fluent in speaking hypothetical...
    It would be nice if STO was more successful than WoW and had the resources to try experiments like this. I'd never play PVP myself but with that much larger player base there might be enough PVPers to make it worthwhile.

It's like from Field of Dreams:

"If you build it, they will come."

Nothing ever happens until someone makes it so...
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 52,984 Community Moderator
    It sounds a little too much Battle Royale to me. Not only that, how do you differenciate factions if you're bouncing back and forth? You could be Blue side with a nice tricked out ship, then locked out of it because next battle you're bounced to Red side and your ship is Blue only.

And how do you get gear to outfit these ships? How do you address anything like lockbox ships that people want to bring over?

Sounds like you're forcing everyone to start from scratch and have to work to keep what they earn, otherwise they lose it. Not sure how popular that would be honestly...
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    The problems with PVP centric games is devs mostly balance everything around PVP(cause its where most incentive for exploitation happens on mmos) and often TRIBBLE PVE players and not letting them settle on builds since they constantly change. Even games like WoW with less focus in PVP had this problem with nerfs coming just for PVP affecting a lot PVE players and all that to balance battlegrounds and ranked PVP arenas. The real challenge is how to have those two polar opposites(PVE and PVP) work on same environment/server as you dont want to fracture the playerbase into more servers either. It definitely has worked somewhat on sandboxes but 1. with rough rulesets and 2. being designed from the start for it.

Also why DogsofWar - I am pretty sure Ferasan and Caitians will protest! :p
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 220 Arc User

Besides... The people calling the shots now may not be the same people calling the shots later. All it takes is someone with real decision making power to make the decision, and the entire direction of the game could change.

That's fine keep dreaming, mine is Cryptic get a Sugar Daddy who will inject a whole ton of money into this product to fix the servers, sort out the ISP, hire a bug fixing team and a quality control department.
    https://i.imgur.com/R28e0Mi.jpg

“If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re having Lag or Rubber-banding,” “then you ain’t playing Star Trek Online.”
    That's fine keep dreaming, mine is Cryptic get a Sugar Daddy who will inject a whole ton of money into this product to fix the servers, sort out the ISP, hire a bug fixing team and a quality control department.

Hopefully one that doesn't get shuffled to other projects Cryptic's working on, like the upcoming Magic MMO?
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    rattler2 wrote: »
    It sounds a little too much Battle Royale to me. Not only that, how do you differenciate factions if you're bouncing back and forth? You could be Blue side with a nice tricked out ship, then locked out of it because next battle you're bounced to Red side and your ship is Blue only.

And how do you get gear to outfit these ships? How do you address anything like lockbox ships that people want to bring over?

Sounds like you're forcing everyone to start from scratch and have to work to keep what they earn, otherwise they lose it. Not sure how popular that would be honestly...

In this approach to PvP, it's completely separate from PvE. Nothing you do in PvE has ANY bearing on PvP. This allows a pure experience for both.

The idea is to give players the versatility to be able to participate on either side of a battle. You earn prestige to spend on ships, equipment, gear and such. Prestige replaces energy credits. CStore ships can be bought but you would still have to spend the prestige to use them. They would not show up as an option at all unless bought... Same thing goes for lockbox ships.

Good dream... Start a thread about it and talk about it THERE. Please stop derailing my thread.

Bye...

• garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 851 Arc User

In this approach to PvP, it's completely separate from PvE. Nothing you do in PvE has ANY bearing on PvP. This allows a pure experience for both.

The idea is to give players the versatility to be able to participate on either side of a battle. You earn prestige to spend on ships, equipment, gear and such. Prestige replaces energy credits. CStore ships can be bought but you would still have to spend the prestige to use them. They would not show up as an option at all unless bought... Same thing goes for lockbox ships.

I think as soon as you start to allow folks to bring lockbox and promo ships over from main game into the pvp server, you would end up with the same balance problem we currently have with PVP. I would say, stick to freebie and C-store ships. I would even say, stick to ships that have a version for all factions (like the new carriers) that can be swapped easily by just swapping the skin.

But to make this idea work, real thought has to be put into designing the available traits, gear, and skills to allow for real balance without pigeon-holing people into one of a handful of viable builds.
    garaffe wrote: »

I think as soon as you start to allow folks to bring lockbox and promo ships over from main game into the pvp server, you would end up with the same balance problem we currently have with PVP. I would say, stick to freebie and C-store ships. I would even say, stick to ships that have a version for all factions (like the new carriers) that can be swapped easily by just swapping the skin.

But to make this idea work, real thought has to be put into designing the available traits, gear, and skills to allow for real balance without pigeon-holing people into one of a handful of viable builds.

You wouldn't be able to bring lockbox or Cstore ships over from the main server any more than you can bring something from Tribble to Holodeck... Even if you could, the PvP shard would just identify that you have access to that ship, but when you use the prestige to purchase it for the next battle, it would be a version specifically balanced for PvP.

I don't like how most MMOs with PvP tend to wrap everything arounf PvP in terms of balance, which screws with the PvE experience. The should be kept apart from each other, with skills and stats treated independently.

Furthermore, in my PvP concept, each era would have its own map and territorial control points, so battles have meaning

Also the idea of losing all applied prestige if you lose a battle, the idea is to make every conflict meaningful, where you suffer a setback if you lose, and advance if you win. Surviving a battle even though the battle is lost will not take prestige away. Only if you die. Winning a battle would give all survivors on the winning side the full prestige payout.
    And what's to stop alpha strike ganking like what already happens in STO? You get a group rolling around looking for easy kills.
    Or how about keeping people from grouping up to game the system to give their group an unfair advantage, such as voluntary sacrifices in order to boost teammates to god tier and dominate.

It still sounds too much like a Battle Royale or EVE, with being knocked out of a ship you JUST earned. And honestly a system like this caters heavily towards those on the upper end and know how to game the system. Anyone else is going to struggle to keep up.
    And what's to stop alpha strike ganking like what already happens in STO? You get a group rolling around looking for easy kills.
    Or how about keeping people from grouping up to game the system to give their group an unfair advantage, such as voluntary sacrifices in order to boost teammates to god tier and dominate.

It still sounds too much like a Battle Royale or EVE, with being knocked out of a ship you JUST earned. And honestly a system like this caters heavily towards those on the upper end and know how to game the system. Anyone else is going to struggle to keep up.

So what would you do?
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User

EVE Online PVP, outside of their alliance tournament event, is all about finding their opponents unprepared, nothing fair about it, but its a sandbox with economy built around loss. When a ship gets destroyed in PVP or PVE it drops a portion of equipped modules while rest gets destroyed. This fuel their market as people need always ships and modules. STO isnt made for that and average STO player wouldnt handle the pain of ship and equipment loss. I dont think it can work here
    So what would you do?

I honestly don't know.
    So what would you do?

I honestly don't know.

Okay.
    lordmerc22 wrote: »

EVE Online PVP, outside of their alliance tournament event, is all about finding their opponents unprepared, nothing fair about it, but its a sandbox with economy built around loss. When a ship gets destroyed in PVP or PVE it drops a portion of equipped modules while rest gets destroyed. This fuel their market as people need always ships and modules. STO isnt made for that and average STO player wouldnt handle the pain of ship and equipment loss. I dont think it can work here

Technically you do not lose anything. You control what your prestige allows you to obtain. It's not like you spend months obtaining the funds and materials to construct a massive capitol ship only to have it permanently destroyed by some griefer who happens to come across it at a time when you can't do anything.

Prestige loss might get you bumped back to Tier 1, but there would ideally be plenty of small skirmishes going on at any given time to face others at that tier and gain victories, earning prestige back and with dedication being able to command higher tier ships decked out with high-end gear.

The rules would just be different. PvP would no longer just be a zerg fest. Victory and defeat will have real meaning, both personally and for the state of the galaxy. It might be painful at first. Ideally it would not take too long to rack up the prestige and start pushing into more strategic and important battles.

Wargames would also be a safe way to raise prestige without actually losing it if the exercise fails. It would be slower this way, but PvP fleets can help build themselves up this way.

I am not concerned about people jumping on opposing sides to help friends advance by throwing a battle. Because losing the battle means losing whatever is at stake in the first place. Mechanics can be created and applied that would make doing this have far-reaching penalties in the overall campaign. And battle analysis would easily reveal when someone is throwing a battle, and going forward, people can decide if they want that player on their team. The players can police themselves in that regard.
  • westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 5,200 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    The main problem with PVP in this game, right now, is the relative lack of willingness of new players to participate in it.

That's a direct result of the alphastrike/spawncamp ganking and the toxic attitude and the secretive/lying approach that players have to giving out survival information. All of those rolled up into one meaning that new PVP players are doomed to lose repeatedly unless and until they can figure out how to survive an alphastrike AND be able to afford the necessary traits/equipment to do that AND get correct information on what to buy.

ALL OF THAT needs to be fixed/addressed. Or else your entire proposal is doomed to failure.

What should be is that a knowledgeable PVE player - say someone who is comfortable in advanced-level PVE TFOs and capable of pulling their own weight in same - should see a clear possibility of victory (even if it's somewhat unlikely). They should not be in the situation of, say, pressing "respawn" more than "fire".

If you can't make that happen, FORGET everything else because you won't have enough players for it to be viable.
    westmetals wrote: »
    The main problem with PVP in this game, right now, is the relative lack of willingness of new players to participate in it.

That's a direct result of the alphastrike/spawncamp ganking and the toxic attitude and the secretive/lying approach that players have to giving out survival information. All of those rolled up into one meaning that new PVP players are doomed to lose repeatedly unless and until they can figure out how to survive an alphastrike AND be able to afford the necessary traits/equipment to do that AND get correct information on what to buy.

ALL OF THAT needs to be fixed/addressed. Or else your entire proposal is doomed to failure.

What should be is that a knowledgeable PVE player - say someone who is comfortable in advanced-level PVE TFOs and capable of pulling their own weight in same - should see a clear possibility of victory (even if it's somewhat unlikely). They should not be in the situation of, say, pressing "respawn" more than "fire".

If you can't make that happen, FORGET everything else because you won't have enough players for it to be viable.

I do see your point on the alphastrike/spawn camping issue. And I agree that needs to be addressed. It seems to me that it comes down to how battleground maps are handled. The initial spawn points should be static. But once the battle starts, reinforcements would warp in randomly at points on the edge of the battle zone. These cannot be predicted so spawn camping would only work if the people attempting it just happen to be in the right place and at the right time... Furthermore, before the post-start spawn point is actually used by the player entering the battle, the game could check to see if there are any enemies within intercept distance. If so, a different point is chosen, rinse and repeat until a safe entry point is found. There would be a LOT of possible warp-in points.

Also, while attempting to spawn camp, opposing players will not be engaging in battle objectives, thus making it harder on everyone else.

I'm sure that Cryptic can recognize patterns of engagement in PvP that are a deterrent to an enjoyable, but challenging experience. And given time and resources can formulate a solution. It simply comes down to who is making the decisions and what they give a damn about.
    the reason i said i am shocked you would start a thread like this is simple...all threads about pvp end up the same, no matter the genuine start of it.

i thought for sure you would have been involved in previous pvp threads, so this is whats odd about you starting one.
    meh

the reason i said i am shocked you would start a thread like this is simple...all threads about pvp end up the same, no matter the genuine start of it.

i thought for sure you would have been involved in previous pvp threads, so this is whats odd about you starting one.

All threads about exploration end up the same... doesn't stop me from revisiting the topic when I feel the need....

But okay...

All threads about exploration end up the same... doesn't stop me from revisiting the topic when I feel the need....

But okay...

im all in favor of bringing pvp back in some form that is more viable and addresses many concerns about certain things, as i am about exploration being brought back, but the same arguments always present themselves and no one can come to a solution that works well for all.

i miss decent pvp, but there are too many factors to look at in order to offer some sort of balance as well as controlling factors like camping and such.

ideas are great, some offer a reality to how it should go, others not so much, but as much as i would like to see pvp return, i feel the banding and lag issues would be a needed fix even before we talk about how to revamp pvp. and you see how well that discussion has gone... :)

im good with starting a shard on tribble and see how things progress and make adjustments there before bringing to the main portion of the game, but lets start with a list of needs and wants, and then determine viability of each and go from there.

a few of the main points always mentioned:
    spawn camping
    inadequate level matching (or even DPS based matching - which is difficult due to the wide array of skills, weaps, etc)
    harassment from the god like players to those that dont pvp well

i am sure there are many more i am missing, but im game to make a list with you and others and address as needed as to how it can be fixed for a better pvp experience for all that want to partake.
    meh

But okay...

im all in favor of bringing pvp back in some form that is more viable and addresses many concerns about certain things, as i am about exploration being brought back, but the same arguments always present themselves and no one can come to a solution that works well for all.

No game dev solution makes everyone happy. It can be the perfect concept for some, but some others will always find fault with it, and for different reasons.

PVP is actually one of the most difficult to address... Most MMO communities are very polarized on it. Many PVEers don't want to be touched by PVP in any way. And many PVPers wish they could just rush up and slaughter PVEers because they're just "carebears" and are wasting server space. These are extreme examples, but they must be taken into account fundamentally when deciding how to develop a PVP system, or if one is to be developed at all...
    i miss decent pvp, but there are too many factors to look at in order to offer some sort of balance as well as controlling factors like camping and such.

Guild Wars had the right idea, really. Segregate the PVP and PVE aspects while making it easy for players to get into either one. Split the skill sets into two groups, one for PVP and one for PVE. The same skills exist in both groups but they can be tweaked and rebalanced apart from each other. That way, the PVP experience can be adjusted without touching the PVE experience at all.
    ideas are great, some offer a reality to how it should go, others not so much, but as much as i would like to see pvp return, i feel the banding and lag issues would be a needed fix even before we talk about how to revamp pvp. and you see how well that discussion has gone... :)

LOOL... true. But that is not a CRYPTIC problem as has been demonstrated countless times. HOWEVER, their awareness of the issue may be a big reason why they have not really touched PVP. If one of these lag/rubberbanding episodes were to occur in the middle of a crucial battle that could decide the outcome of a campaign, it would be a disaster. And these issues ay also have been contributory to so many PVPers leaving the game and not coming back.

No argument that before PVP can be restored in this game, these issues must be fixed. I have to think that, just like at some point the people calling the shots will change, and the game will change with them, someone will actually deal with the connectivity issues and it will be a game changer across the board. I have to believe and trust in the future.
    im good with starting a shard on tribble and see how things progress and make adjustments there before bringing to the main portion of the game, but lets start with a list of needs and wants, and then determine viability of each and go from there.

That's reasonable.
    a few of the main points always mentioned:
    spawn camping
    inadequate level matching (or even DPS based matching - which is difficult due to the wide array of skills, weaps, etc)
    harassment from the god like players to those that dont pvp well

Absolutely. I put forth a solution for spawn camping above.

And you are right about how hard it is to balance things when players have such a wide range of gear combinations that can have an impact beyond just basestasts. This is why stats from PVE stuff and PVP stuff need to be segregated. On the PVP side, every step up needs to be by a large enough degree that the player feels improved results, but alsy by a small enough degree that those improved results do not mean instant slaughter.

Being able to scan an enemy and get a comparative threat assessment should help combatants determine which strategy to use when engaging, or even whether to engage at all.

As to Skirmishes intended to build up prestige, there would be many of them scattered all over the galazy, and they would filter for the stats of the first to enter.

Another method that can be used is scaling based on engagement.

If I engage with a much more advanced ship, then the DPS values would scale for both sides to be on par with each other. with the more advanced ship hitting at the high end so I would be feeling the sting but no just be instantly obliterated.

Honestly, though, I would rather see a PVP system where victories are more about the skills and abilities available to a captain and knowing how and when to use them effectively, rather than it being more about who has the highest DPS rating.

For every offensive ability, there needs to be a defensive counter ability. Some defensive abilities could counter multiple offensive abilities at different degrees of effectiveness, that way there is still hope even if I have not slotted a defensive ability specifically designed to counter a specific offensive ability. I would like to see PVP that is more about actual strategy than just face-rolling abilities FTW.
    i am sure there are many more i am missing, but im game to make a list with you and others and address as needed as to how it can be fixed for a better pvp experience for all that want to partake.

I'm game for that too. Let's make it so...

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    This proposal sounds a good deal like the Tiered system I mentioned the last time it was brought up.

Just with a Faction 0 setting.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    trennan wrote: »
    This proposal sounds a good deal like the Tiered system I mentioned the last time it was brought up.

Just with a Faction 0 setting.

I wasn't in on that discussion. Got a link so I can review it?