test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lex Kurtman Says Writing Team Building A Very Surprising Section 31 Star Trek Series

124»

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    i put money on it being a particularly radiant asteroid or celestial fragment of some kind - has the exact same effect of a nuclear detonation without buying into the utterly delusional BS of nukes existing prior to 1945​​

That would make sense too. Didn't think of that one.
    But ancient nukes...
    alens.jpg
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    Naw man, that's just what da big man wants you to think! It's a big conspiracy man! By the big corporations, man! To oppress the little guy, man! Wake up, man! ;):D
    I'm being sarcastic, obviously.[/i]
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    valoreah wrote: »
    When has the writing across the various Star Trek properties ever been consistent? You make this sound like it is something new.

Hell... TOS wasn't consistent with itself... *shrug*
    Not only that... ship based phasers can be set to stun?
    Yeah, speaking (as we have in the past) of things that happened in one episode that would have been really useful in others...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I think the whole debate on nuclear and conventional weapons can be best put into context by who I feel in one of the greatest US presidents.
    https://youtu.be/xB2JBghZ_MU
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Eisenhower's farewell speech remains incredibly relevant today, which is sad. It wasn't just about the military-industrial complex, which is often overlooked, but also warned about government funded science and public policy being determined by scientific and technological elites, which in some ways is far more dangerous and incredibly relevant today.

I don't imagine there would be that kind of warning implicit in a series about S31, though (this thread is about that apparently) an agency out of control with little oversight and little respect for the public, or principles.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Eisenhower's farewell speech remains incredibly relevant today, which is sad. It wasn't just about the military-industrial complex, which is often overlooked, but also warned about government funded science and public policy being determined by scientific and technological elites, which in some ways is far more dangerous and incredibly relevant today.

I don't imagine there would be that kind of warning implicit in a series about S31, though (this thread is about that apparently) an agency out of control with little oversight and little respect for the public, or principles.

Right now ,since the 50's, there are like 20 or so levels of clearance ABOVE the president...so the 'leader of the free world' himself is on a NEED TO KNOW basis....and where black ops covert, unacknowledged stuff is not know to him...and these folks can pretty much do what they want, ala Section 31.....that is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.......as well as pissing all over what we believe in. Hence the 1961 speech, and Kennedy's speech which talked of the repugnance of secrecy in our world, especially when it comes to power.

There is a REASON I don't trust powerful military, industrial and corporate entities.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited October 2020

Right now ,since the 50's, there are like 20 or so levels of clearance ABOVE the president...so the 'leader of the free world' himself is on a NEED TO KNOW basis....and where black ops covert, unacknowledged stuff is not know to him...and these folks can pretty much do what they want, ala Section 31.....that is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.......as well as pissing all over what we believe in. Hence the 1961 speech, and Kennedy's speech which talked of the repugnance of secrecy in our world, especially when it comes to power.

There is a REASON I don't trust powerful military, industrial and corporate entities.

A lot of that was reined in because of things the Nixon tapes turned up and the Iran Contra affair which led to increased Congressional oversight. Still, even what is probably left of that extreme secret classification structure is ripe for abuse and could very well spawn a realworld equivalent of Section 31.

If the show delves into the potential dangers of such an organization and the loopholes that allow it to exist in a subtle and intelligent manner then the show could be great. On the other hand, Kurtzman and company have shown time and time again that they cannot do subtle or intelligent so my expectations are very, very low for the series (maybe they should hand the writing part over to the animation production team, they do a much better job of it despite Lower Decks being a comedy).
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User

A lot of that was reined in because of things the Nixon tapes turned up and the Iran Contra affair which led to increased Congressional oversight. Still, even what is probably left of that extreme secret classification structure is ripe for abuse and could very well spawn a realworld equivalent of Section 31.

If the show delves into the potential dangers of such an organization and the loopholes that allow it to exist in a subtle and intelligent manner then the show could be great. On the other hand, Kurtzman and company have shown time and time again that they cannot do subtle or intelligent so my expectations are very, very low for the series (maybe they should hand the writing part over to the animation production team, they do a much better job of it despite Lower Decks being a comedy).

That moment when a cartoon parody comedy has a better sense of subtlety than a supposedly serious sci-fi drama...

What's that? Oh, I don't mean Lower Decks, I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I was referring to South Park.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User

That's because Mr. McMann and company are FANS who know and love Trek. Kurtzman, like JJ, said Trek was too intelligent for them.

Always get a fan, someone who knows and loves the stuff, to make it.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Can we stop with the “they’re not fans” as a hit against people attached to the show? Nicholas Meyer hadn’t seen an episode of TOS when he signed on for WOK.
    If CBS gave me a truckload of money to make a Trek show with no strings attached I can say with 100% certainty that people would accuse me of not being a fan.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.